Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2016, 07:28   #31

Re: yacht wrecked, 2 dead, capetown

I've sailed that coast twice. On my first passage, I hove to for a quick nap. "Quick" can always be a very relative term when lying down for some rest. Anyway, I awoke uncomfortably close to a benign "beach" setting, having been carried by the current. One of those luck second chance situations. Still, I attribute the close call to diverging from my normal routine of standing well off from 'the hard', so far I can rarely see it.

Just a 'solo-sailor' thing that's kept me safe.

There's probably some great views of coasline I've missed, but...

My condolenes to the victims and family.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:43   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Its a beautiful but unforgiving coast - with refuges spaced rather inconveniently far apart. SA does have a wonderful rescue service, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
I've sailed that coast twice. On my first passage, I hove to for a quick nap. "Quick" can always be a very relative term when lying down for some rest. Anyway, I awoke uncomfortably close to a benign "beach" setting, having been carried by the current. One of those luck second chance situations. Still, I attribute the close call to diverging from my normal routine of standing well off from 'the hard', so far I can rarely see it.

Just a 'solo-sailor' thing that's kept me safe.

There's probably some great views of coasline I've missed, but...

My condolenes to the victims and family.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 13:47   #33

Boat: 1971 cal 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
What makes you think just wearing a life vest is gonna save your monkey end point? Rocks are rocks.
i never said it was guaranteed to save your life. however, if you are wearing a PFD when you hit the water, your survival chances are better than if you aren't.
first wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:30   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
Its a beautiful but unforgiving coast - with refuges spaced rather inconveniently far apart. SA does have a wonderful rescue service, though.
Indeed, they do. An otherwise uneventful approach to Hout Bay in January 2012 turned ugly for me when the 'Doctor' dropped in unnanounced. Short story is a torn main, uncertainty about 'which way things could go' in an already bad situation, and the realization conditions may only get worse if I headed away into the shipping lanes - beyond radio contact - I issued a pan-pan. Cape Town relayed my call to Hout Bay Rescue who hadn't heard it. After a fashion my boat and I were successfully towed into Hout Bay against 65 knot wind and steep seas. Great team and they deserve our deepest gratitude for the service they provide.

Please. Save the comments about my boat's appearance....
Solo yachtsman rescued off Hout Bay: | nsri.org.za
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:26   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Wow, Bob, that is some experience....... I feel that all rescue guys, from sea rescue through fire fighters etc are all real hero's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
Indeed, they do. An otherwise uneventful approach to Hout Bay in January 2012 turned ugly for me when the 'Doctor' dropped in unnanounced. Short story is a torn main, uncertainty about 'which way things could go' in an already bad situation, and the realization conditions may only get worse if I headed away into the shipping lanes - beyond radio contact - I issued a pan-pan. Cape Town relayed my call to Hout Bay Rescue who hadn't heard it. After a fashion my boat and I were successfully towed into Hout Bay against 65 knot wind and steep seas. Great team and they deserve our deepest gratitude for the service they provide.

Please. Save the comments about my boat's appearance....
Solo yachtsman rescued off Hout Bay: | nsri.org.za
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 17:26   #36

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

For those people who don't understand the power of waves on rocks it is simple. Imagine yourself being rolled in the surf caught by a huge wave. Now place rocks along the path that you're going to be rolled in. Can u imagine your fate. One look at the boat should tell you what your chances of survival would be if that's what happened to a hard skinned boat versus your fragile body. When rolled in heavy surf u are absolutely powerless to control your direction. What would your answer be if I asked you to jump of a ladder 10 feet high onto the rocks below and do a flip with a half gainer ... What r your chances now?

What I don't like about this story is that someone royally messed up. Until more is known it could be a mechanical problem that they weren't able to escape current or wind and were to close-in when things went to hell. It could have been dereliction of duty while on watch. People lost their lives and that is never a good way to go no matter what your age. I feel so sad for thes people. I hope we hear more about the facts soon.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yacht