Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2013, 18:13   #61

Re: Yacht Club Rant

And on the note of just dropping $400-$500 at the drop of a hat... I dont know many people who bring their checkbooks everywhere they go and part with that kind of money that easily. And i work in investment management. But different strokes for different spokes i guess.
mr-canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 19:13   #62

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr-canada View Post
And on the note of just dropping $400-$500 at the drop of a hat... I dont know many people who bring their checkbooks everywhere they go and part with that kind of money that easily. And i work in investment management. But different strokes for different spokes i guess.
I certainly don't carry mine around everywhere either, but the USPS has always been willing to deliver one for me.
Old 13-02-2013, 19:23   #63

Lol... I am not sure how much faster usps is than my postal service, but i doubt either of them are faster than my partners wife dropping over a cheque the next day, which is what happened here and i told them so
Old 13-02-2013, 19:25   #64

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Connie and I joined a Club up North, that has really nothing but a name and a couple of partys a year ! Costs us 100 bucks a year ! we never go to the partys or even the home port of the club!! BUT it will get us a free slip in a lot of places, it sometimes has worked when we needed to stock the boat for long passages! Thats just about the only time we use a marina, is with the Club with reciprecal useage !! been helpful a time or 2 !! just about the only reason to belong to one if ya really cruise!! just our 2 cents
Old 13-02-2013, 19:50   #65

Maybe if you capitalized all your "i"s...
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 20:12   #66

Boat: Bayliner Victoria 2750
Send a message via Yahoo to Astral Blue

I feel the president (appropriately called commodore) is acting unilaterally. You need to present your case to the board. Before the board, the commodore is going to be less dismissive of your concerns for fear of not being undermined by the rest of the board members.

Your concerns are reasonable. As a board member of my yacht club, I feel the commodore's reaction is arrogant. But then again, I only have one side of the story to base my conclusions on.
Astral Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 20:28   #67

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

Perhaps you could pay the fees and his wife can sew some buttons on your shirt--
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 20:46   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral Blue View Post
I feel the president (appropriately called commodore) is acting unilaterally. You need to present your case to the board. Before the board, the commodore is going to be less dismissive of your concerns for fear of not being undermined by the rest of the board members.

Your concerns are reasonable. As a board member of my yacht club, I feel the commodore's reaction is arrogant. But then again, I only have one side of the story to base my conclusions on.
That is exactly how i feel. Of course moorage must be paid. Of course it will be paid, seeing as my partner is a 12 year veteran of the club and also a millionaire. Of course theres a hiccup with payment, as hes out of country for the winter as he has been for 10 years. Nobody (esp me) contests that.

The problem is, ironically, how the problem is dealt with. Probably leaves a bad taste in everyones mouth.
Old 13-02-2013, 21:09   #69

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
The rich aren't necessarily well known for paying their bills. But then a million is not what it use to be. :-)
Old 13-02-2013, 21:30   #70

True. But i doubt that this is the case in this scenario.
Old 13-02-2013, 22:04   #71

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

How much of an address in the club's town would be required to qualify for full membership?
Old 14-02-2013, 02:01   #72
Armchair Bucketeer

Sounds like a small club - so OP's circumstances probably not too common (Associate Membership as a co-Boat Owner, with a late paying full member on a club mooring........during a 10 year event! of a key change).........just sounds like no great thought went into every possible circumstance, let alone any consideration given to writing an actual club rule for that occassion (nor every other potential one).......to the Committee / President probably as simple as no pay for the boat moorings & associated membership = no membership benefits (and this year that included a new key) and that basic position communicated to whoever was collecting the fees / issuing the keys..........could also be that OP has ruffled feathers during his short time as a member!, for the paranoid it could sound like he is making a power play or is simply trouble ("Lord save us from people with great ideas - for others to do"!) and got reacted to accordingly by loss of the benefit of the doubt. It happens.

Anyway, seems like the key thing is sorted from the full member having paid his dues - sometimes in life "you" have to do stuff for self, including picking up the phone......I am sure their will be a round 2!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 06:02   #73

Boat: Bayliner Victoria 2750
Send a message via Yahoo to Astral Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Sounds like a small club - so OP's circumstances probably not too common (Associate Membership as a co-Boat Owner, with a late paying full member on a club mooring........during a 10 year event! of a key change).........just sounds like no great thought went into every possible circumstance, let alone any consideration given to writing an actual club rule for that occassion (nor every other potential one).......to the Committee / President probably as simple as no pay for the boat moorings & associated membership = no membership benefits (and this year that included a new key) and that basic position communicated to whoever was collecting the fees / issuing the keys..........could also be that OP has ruffled feathers during his short time as a member!, for the paranoid it could sound like he is making a power play or is simply trouble ("Lord save us from people with great ideas - for others to do"!) and got reacted to accordingly by loss of the benefit of the doubt. It happens.

Anyway, seems like the key thing is sorted from the full member having paid his dues - sometimes in life "you" have to do stuff for self, including picking up the phone......I am sure their will be a round 2!
As I said earlier, every story has two sides. We have only heard the OP's side and can only comment/speculate from the information available to us.
Astral Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 08:23   #74

Not a lot of thought at all. In reading the notices it didnt even appear that a full member might not get their key. It was just worded as "please make sure your fees are up to date". I agree with astral that the president was likely acting unilaterally.

As for ruffling feathers, there was the one music thing months ago, but every idea i suggested was something for me to do (i was trying to get volunteer hours). I didnt ruffle feathers until i had been refused my key, had emailed the president with the situation (who was conspicuously absent that day and has a smart phone), waited over 10 hours with no response and phoned him.

what annoys me is that now the bill is paid and i still dont have a key. Its a small club so its not like theres an office to pick it up at. apparently due to security issues, they wont mail a key to anyone and need to see photo id - so the remaining keys are being tightly controlled (obtensively so non payers cant swindle a friendly board member to get them one) by the presidents wife. So with me out of the city i have to make a trip up and wait around until the correct person can bring me a key all the while with no access to the boat or the clubhouse - an inconvenience not only for me but also the person who has to get me a key.

I knew when i was up on key day and realized i wasnt walking away with a key that after their little snap rule was satisfied it would be a nightmare to get my keys afterwards. When people pay they usually just leave their cheques in the treasurers folder and it doesnt get checked often - i gave them my membership payment in august and they lost the first cheque then i gave them another cheque in september and they didnt clear it until mid-december.

Why they couldnt just advise me of the situation verbally, give me a key and follow up in a week i just cant understand. They even suggested that they couldnt give me a key without payment because i might move the boat after i get a key and then theyd be out a key! I mean come on, if i was going to move the boat to escape the moorage bill id also be walking away from my initiation fee - and my partner would be too - basically tossing $4500 to save $450.
Old 14-02-2013, 08:41   #75
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr-canada View Post
Snip!

They even suggested that they couldnt give me a key without payment because i might move the boat after i get a key and then theyd be out a key! I mean come on, if i was going to move the boat to escape the moorage bill id also be walking away from my initiation fee - and my partner would be too - basically tossing $4500 to save $450.
And it is so hard to take a dink to gain access to the boat and sail away...
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yacht