Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2020, 14:08   #1

Would you take on crew that got easily seasick...

if they told you it was mostly well controlled by medication?
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2020, 14:17   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Would you take on crew that got easily seasick...

Depends. For a day trip? Sure. For a long passage? Not so much.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2020, 14:49   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

If setting out on a long trip, I’d be ready to turn back around if you have to. There are some people who become so sick it can be life threatening for them. But even before that they not only are not helping as crew, they become your patients while you sail the boat. Many years ago a friend outfitted his boat and asked me to join him for a trip to Hawaii. He knew he had trouble with sea sickness but he figured he’d get over it. Going on three days into the trip he still hadn’t gotten out of his bunk, he wasn’t eating or even drinking much. Considering I was singlehanding and dealing with a very sick guy I suggested we turn around. He agreed pretty quick.
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2020, 15:00   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
If setting out on a long trip, I’d be ready to turn back around if you have to. There are some people who become so sick it can be life threatening for them. But even before that they not only are not helping as crew, they become your patients while you sail the boat. Many years ago a friend outfitted his boat and asked me to join him for a trip to Hawaii. He knew he had trouble with sea sickness but he figured he’d get over it. Going on three days into the trip he still hadn’t gotten out of his bunk, he wasn’t eating or even drinking much. Considering I was singlehanding and dealing with a very sick guy I suggested we turn around. He agreed pretty quick.
It would be a long trip. Boat is in the south of France and if we can get things to work out, we would move it to the Caribbean. There would be a professional skipper, myself and this third party who ticks all the boxes EXCEPT for that "small" issue.

They, by far, have much more sailing experience than I do. My concern is being left double-handed with my hands not being worth much.
Old 30-08-2020, 15:19   #5

Boat: Cape Dory 31

A crew member needs to be “able bodied”. Time to keep looking.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2020, 15:35   #6

Boat: Catalina 320

Never again
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2020, 15:37   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Would you take on crew that got easily seasick...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
It would be a long trip. Boat is in the south of France and if we can get things to work out, we would move it to the Caribbean. There would be a professional skipper, myself and this third party who ticks all the boxes EXCEPT for that "small" issue.

They, by far, have much more sailing experience than I do. My concern is being left double-handed with my hands not being worth much.
It depends largely on the boat.. if its a catamaran then likely they will be okay after a couple of days, if a mono she'll roll her guts out running before wind and current.. keep looking.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2020, 17:52   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

On the other hand, I am a person who is prone to sea sickness in jerky motion conditions. I am okay if i take Stugeron. And, even seasick, I never failed to stand my watch. I have somewhere over 150,000 sea miles. So, I'd say, if you like the person, and you carry anti-emetic suppositories (which may be needed in case of vomiting from the flu), sure you can take them anywhere--as long as they don't screw up their meds. You can either trust them to do that (as it is in their best interest to use them, as well), or not (s--t happens, or the road to hell is paved with good intentions).

Up to you. But kind of sad to deny the open ocean experience to someone you like, if it is not necessary. Almost all sea sickness is preventable.

Ann
Old 30-08-2020, 18:01   #9

Does the crew person have actual experience with the conditions in question while medicated? Do they have any other health issues that would make problems related to dehydration more significant? What are the potential side effects of the medication?
PirateFoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2020, 18:09   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

What is their experience on sails longer than a day?? Most people get over sickness fairly quick but some are totally incapacitated and may never acclimate. Really need to know their history and actual reaction to being at sea in differing conditions. If you'll have a paid skipper as additional body on board besides you, not much of a problem if his sickness is mild. If he is totally out of it as one guest I had, they are an additional burden.

I had one crew who got mildly seasick on longer passages, fine for daysails, have stuck with her for close to 50 years as she's such a good crew and divorces are expensive.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2020, 18:16   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Up to you. But kind of sad to deny the open ocean experience to someone you like, if it is not necessary. Almost all sea sickness is preventable.

Agreed. I've been doing much research since our discussion and didn't fully grasp how common seasickness truly is. Also, they do get points for being completely upfront about it from the get go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateFoxy View Post
Does the crew person have actual experience with the conditions in question while medicated? Do they have any other health issues that would make problems related to dehydration more significant? What are the potential side effects of the medication?

All their sea experience has taken place in the Med (while medicated). They haven't mentioned any other health conditions or concerns.

They said the meds make them feel a little off but nothing major.
Old 30-08-2020, 18:21   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
What is their experience on sails longer than a day?? Most people get over sickness fairly quick but some are totally incapacitated and may never acclimate. Really need to know their history and actual reaction to being at sea in differing conditions. If you'll have a paid skipper as additional body on board besides you, not much of a problem if his sickness is mild. If he is totally out of it as one guest I had, they are an additional burden.

I had one crew who got mildly seasick on longer passages, fine for daysails, have stuck with her for close to 50 years as she's such a good crew and divorces are expensive.

They have done multi-day sails but only in the Med. They said occasionally they do get sick, even with medication but it's not debilitating and they usually get over it quickly.

Ahh, you mean the admiral! When we decided to do the full time liveaboard thing, the agreement was that anything over 3 days in open water and she would "fly-in" to meet me so I know exactly where you are coming from.
Old 30-08-2020, 18:44   #13

Boat: Volkscruiser

NaclyDog I would give them a try. I often have a chuck over the side then come right after that. Sometimes I just think it's think it's nerves getting the better of me.
Even the best sailors get sick sometimes.
Cheers
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ls-letter.html
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2020, 18:53   #14

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
They have done multi-day sails but only in the Med. They said occasionally they do get sick, even with medication but it's not debilitating and they usually get over it quickly.
Well, given that and that you know them and they are good company as well as reliable crew, I'd likely take a chance on them.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2020, 19:02   #15

Boat: Rafiki 37

Do you have other, better options? If no, then I'd go with the you've found. If yes, well, then the answer is obvious.

Two things I know:

#1. My spouse gets sea sick. She can keep it under control so that most of the time I don't even know she's suffering. But we both help manage things. More than often I'm the one in the galley, making meals while underway. And more often than not, she's on the helm. But we both do our watches, and do full duties.

#2. Even though I don't get sea sick, I very occasionally do. It's happened twice over the last 20 years. Neither times were that bad, but I know it can happen to me, and I've heard it said it can happen to anyone. So it may be a false sense of security to believe you've avoided mal de mar by picking those who only claim to be impervious.

Tags
crew