Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2011, 05:44   #31

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461
Smile Re: Would You Buy an Ex-Charter Boat ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
We sold a Moorings Beneteau 461 in 2005. We sold it fast for 50% of our original cash price. Moorings has a Phase-out Process on the boats in their charter fleet. We sold the boat to a surveyor who spent 2 days surveying the boat. BTW, it was not his first Beneteau purchase. He had a few things on his survey list...Moorings repaired them in a few minutes...we closed the sale the same day that Moorings completed the Phase-out (one of our stipulations for the low price to him).

We were happy about the price because after the sale we were cash ahead on the boat (received more cash than we paid, counting the revenue received from the Moorings). He was happy about the price because he bought it for less than the going price. He still has the boat and is still very happy with it.

My recommendation is to network with some Moorings owners and see if you can do what we did by buying direct as soon as the boat phases out. We met our buyer through the Beneteau Owners Group.

Best,

Bill

He HE and OH MY

Yes we bought that lovely Beneteau Oceanis 461 and we love it.

Problems were limited to Moorings putting on a worn INSECURE anchor both the pin and the hole were worn and well past their sell by date.

AND the surveyor who was supervising <SIK> the MPOP was a clown basically ignored the list that i had given him and reported things like a zip on the bottom of one of the berth cushions needing replaced.

PROBLEMO here you are going to be a brave surveyor IF you create too much work and expense when you are doing the surveys on these Moorings Phase Out Program boats...........remember this is your main source of work/revenue.

BUT we got a FABULOUS Boat with few if any issues or problems and at a good (fair) price. And Karma was at work here as B&J's next boat came to them in a rather nice way after we had agreed to purchase their boat but before it was sold to us.

As the boat was in the Caribbean and we are in Scotland we put the boat back into secondary charter so we could have the boat maintained properly and have walk on walk off sailing AND build up a fund of $'s to refurbish Highland Fling once she came out of charter after another 5 years when we were both able and willing to retire.

HOWEVER things went badly wrong when we discovered and could prove that the secondary charter company was cheating us out of income by syphoning off our customers and putting them on boats owned by the owner of the charter company. So we sailed Highland Fling away one easter a few years ago. Being out of charter we could now start to make Highland Fling OUR Boat and have been adding to her since Easter 2009.

Last December we finally had our first six month cruise on her and she is still a phenomenal boat and in a week we will fly out to her for another six month Caribbean cruise. Did we make the right decision for sure we did sadly we met the Real Pirates of the Caribbean BUT even that nasty episode has not impacted seriously on our sailing plans. Yes i would have loved a First 45f5 but the boats we looked at were all 'problem' boats and the Beneteau Oceanis 461 is ideal for the Caribbean sailing and lifestyle. With a deep lead keel she would be an absolutely awesome performance sailing boat (there speaks the racer in me) That said you have to be sailing a 50+ foot boat to keep up with us :-) Bruce Farr knew what he was doing when he drew these hull lines and Beneteau were on a winner with the 461 and the F45f5 (share the same hull form) would i like a 473 not really even if it is a more roomy boat.

Highland Fling is 11 years old now soon 12 The engine 54HP N/A Yanmar has 7000+ hours and is a sweet as it could be. The sails need replaced especially the 11yo mainsail but i reckon that will wait for another year or two. I suppose i should climb the mast and have a good close look at the rigging BUT apart from that and the hull graphics falling apart in the Caribbean sun PROBLEMS NONE.

No fellow sailor who comes on board Highland Fling thinks she is ex charter and when told cant believe she was in charter for 9 years.

Kindest regards

David
Highland Fling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:03   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Would You Buy an Ex-Charter Boat ?

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, David.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with “Highland Fling”.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:17   #33
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Would You Buy an Ex-Charter Boat ?

Welcome to CF folks...
Surveyors in Tortola do have well buttered bread....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:36   #34
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Fling View Post
No fellow sailor who comes on board Highland Fling thinks she is ex charter and when told cant believe she was in charter for 9 years.
Nice first post

Worth waiting for
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:28   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bavaria 46

I had mine (Bavaria 46) in a charter program in Greece. I spiffed her up a little and sailed her home (Sweden) at the end of the contract. I got a great boat for half the money she looks and sails great. Ive done a decent first charter season on her with a plus income already. Im glad I did it. Its a buyers market now but get a proper inspection and dont try to be cheap as it will save you money and headaches later. Scott

www.crewsailing.se
crewtv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter