Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2020, 12:12   #61

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Would like to hire some one to write a sailing article

I know I shouldn't be surprised at the number of people willing to sell themselves so cheaply, but I am curious as to the reasons.

Why are you willing to sell your services so cheaply? At $50, you're offering your (apparently) professional services at way below going rate for this kind of work, and even below the minimum wage found in most developed countries. A 1500 word article of any quality will require, at an minimum, three hours of work. Realistically we're probably talking at least double that, depending on the subject.

The people responding here appear to have cruising-level boats, so this pittance surely means nothing financially. So why do it?

For the fame? To justify some tax write offs? You're bored? Why?
Old 27-03-2020, 13:18   #62

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I know I shouldn't be surprised at the number of people willing to sell themselves so cheaply, but I am curious as to the reasons.

Why are you willing to sell your services so cheaply? At $50, you're offering your (apparently) professional services at way below going rate for this kind of work, and even below the minimum wage found in most developed countries. A 1500 word article of any quality will require, at an minimum, three hours of work. Realistically we're probably talking at least double that, depending on the subject.

The people responding here appear to have cruising-level boats, so this pittance surely means nothing financially. So why do it?

I was just thinking something like this. I think people are desperate to be able to call themselves writers. And reading some of the copy on "published" books on Amazon just reinforces the idea that people are willing to invest a lot of time and effort to be able to claim the title of published author.

One the one hand, more power to you. Write and be proud of what you create. On the other hand, it's a craft and a skill and if you have put in the time to learn it then try and at least price your output at something at least nearing a fair value.

The other thing that came up peripherally was the idea of writing for a competent publication. A good editor is worth their weight in gold. Having written for bad ones, my rates go up, not down when working with the less professional ones.

So my advice (worth about the same as the non-existent the paper it's written on) is if you want to break in, go ahead and pitch to Mora, but please, no matter how desperate you are, don't go lower than $.10/word for web work. And that's cut rate, lowball, only-do-it-once-or-twice kind of pricing. And if you just want to call yourself a writer, then go ahead and write something and feel free. But letting others screw you does not a writer make.
Old 27-03-2020, 13:32   #63

Boat: Don’t own a boat at this time yet.

Quote:

Well, the beauty of capitalism and free market. One can offer a crappy “article” written by an inexpert, a youngster or just bull** coming to a person’s mind. But the market will give peanuts for what is worth in return. Only those seeking high quality materials and truly valuable articles will always pay better for their search. You get what you pay.
DanCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 13:43   #64

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanCan View Post
Well, the beauty of capitalism and free market. One can offer a crappy “article” written by an inexpert, a youngster or just bull** coming to a person’s mind. But the market will give peanuts for what is worth in return. Only those seeking high quality materials and truly valuable articles will always pay better for their search. You get what you pay.
That's one theory.
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 14:18   #65

I get that there's been a general devaluation in writing and writers. Technology has made it easy to be a "creator" these days. There's more "content" being made than ever. Most of it is shyte, but there's more of it.

The consumers of this content generally don't seem to care, and neither do the publishers. In the "free" world of Internet distribution, most providers of content only care about clicks.

I get all that. What I don't get is why a writer who apparently values their own work would sell themselves so cheaply. Especially here in this crowd which is hardly hurting for cash. If you're wealthy enough to own a boat, then the peanuts on offer here means next to nothing. So surely it's not about the money.

So why do it?

If it's a portfolio you want, then as an editor, let me say up front editors don't care much about what you've done. They care about what you can do. A history of work helps establish that, but evidence that you can produce the desired work, to the desired specs, is what an editor is really after.

And I can tell you, having a stack of digital tear sheets from questionable publications means squat. They are as valueless as the fee on offer.

So why do it? I'm honestly curious to hear from those who have stepped up. Why?
Old 27-03-2020, 14:26   #66

Mike, so hard to figure it out?? Who doesn’t love their 5 minute of “fame”?
Old 27-03-2020, 14:32   #67
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Toomas.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 14:52   #68

Quote:
Mike, so hard to figure it out?? Who doesn’t love their 5 minute of “fame”?

Could be that I suppose, but anyone can get a byline anytime they want these days. And as any professional writer can attest, the only ones who even remotely care about bylines are other writers.

And that's only to see who's getting paid this month.
Old 27-03-2020, 14:56   #69

Quote:
Could be that I suppose, but anyone can get a byline anytime they want these days. And as any professional writer can attest, the only ones who even remotely care about bylines are other writers.

And that's only to see who's getting paid this month.

Lol, maybe that’s a byline for you as a professional in the field, for wannabes a byline could be a badge to show off )
Old 27-03-2020, 15:12   #70

Boat: Alberg 35

Sure, send me info, I'm interested. I had an article in Good Old Boat in the November issue.
s/v Pendragon Alberg 35 #175
Pendragon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 16:36   #71

Check the it my book at my Facebook page.
Whatever the subject I probably have already written about it.
I could send you some excerpts if you would like.
Contact me.
Tom
sailorman14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 20:11   #72

Boat: Brewer 12.8

Sure. I love to write. Thanks, Will
wgerstmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2020, 04:17   #73

Here is my explanation of what's going on. Please bear with me.

At it's peak a few years ago, a taxicab medallion here in Boston was worth about $750K, may be more. In NYC, where one could've had 2 taxis under 1 medallion it was worth up to $2mil. One of the chief reasons for that was the fact that the number of medallions was strictly regulated and their numbers were set in stone. Then the "uber" happened. Now, medallion owners can't give these medallions away. Last I've heard - a guy who invested in many at the peak of the market (using foreign investors' money) turned down offers of $50K for each as too low. Now he's "willing" to accept $25K for each but there are no takers as anyone who wants do be a "cabbie" can become one practically for free.

Oh, and of course there is the argument that the uber driver is not really a professional cabbie. True. And?
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2020, 04:30   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
Here is my explanation of what's going on. Please bear with me.

At it's peak a few years ago, a taxicab medallion here in Boston was worth about $750K, may be more. In NYC, where one could've had 2 taxis under 1 medallion it was worth up to $2mil. One of the chief reasons for that was the fact that the number of medallions was strictly regulated and their numbers were set in stone. Then the "uber" happened. Now, medallion owners can't give these medallions away. Last I've heard - a guy who invested in many at the peak of the market (using foreign investors' money) turned down offers of $50K for each as too low. Now he's "willing" to accept $25K for each but there are no takers as anyone who wants do be a "cabbie" can become one practically for free.

Oh, and of course there is the argument that the uber driver is not really a professional cabbie. True. And?

Is this supposed to be an analogy?
Anyone with bear minimum skills and a drivers license can drive. That is why Uber or Lift spread out. Taxi drivers don’t have any more skills than any regular joe, they only have (had?) an expensive license. And you may even have the opposite, very licensed cab drivers with awful skills while “unlicensed” Uber with good skills. I’ve taken enough Lift to realize they, like anyone else, are good, bad and ugly depending on the driver.
Writers? It takes skills. Yes, you can ask your 15y/o nephew to write something or your next door college neighbour. I can write a good grocery list ) but skills? Well researched article? Meaningful? That brings expertise and knowledge? Very,very few. And asking them to write to that standard is expensive (or it should be).
Am I getting your analogy right?
Old 28-03-2020, 04:53   #75

Quote:
Is this supposed to be an analogy?
Anyone with bear minimum skills and a drivers license can drive. That is why Uber or Lift spread out. Taxi drivers don’t have any more skills than any regular joe, they only have (had?) an expensive license. And you may even have the opposite, very licensed cab drivers with awful skills while “unlicensed” Uber with good skills. I’ve taken enough Lift to realize they, like anyone else, are good, bad and ugly depending on the driver.
Writers? It takes skills. Yes, you can ask your 15y/o nephew to write something or your next door college neighbour. I can write a good grocery list ) but skills? Well researched article? Meaningful? That brings expertise and knowledge? Very,very few. And asking them to write to that standard is expensive (or it should be).
Am I getting your analogy right?
The analogy is that today's technology can often (but not always) compensate well enough for lack of skills. Even on this forum what is the real % of cruisers today who can get from NYC to Lisbon without any electronic gadgets on board, incl. modern watches? Say as 18th c sailors have done.

Another example - wedding photography. Used to be very difficult to take good pictures (not just wedding pictures) with then cheap 110 cameras. Fast forward to today - latest I-phone or Android has more pro-camera features than a 20-30 year old Hasselblad. And that allows your average person with a good eye and good knowledge of their phone's features to take decent enough photos, instead of paying thousands to a "pro".

This is no different than painting. Some paint for fun. Others for therapy. Still others just for the money and work in advertising. Some are artists, others house painters. Imagine an illustrator for an ad agency complaining that some amateur painter selling his doodles for 10X less than the ad aguy is getting for his.

Funny how many who are otherwise conservative or libertarian in their world outlook become very protectionist and unionizing when it comes to their perceived potential loss of income.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing