Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2020, 07:09   #46

Boat: 1977 Cape Dory 30K
Re: Would like to hire some one to write a sailing article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mora View Post
Hi!
I'm having no luck hiring content writers out in the world because they clearly know nothing about the subject: sailing.
So I would like to know if anyone here is interested in making a little money by writing sailing articles. You don't have to be an expert, just know what mooring means, for example.
I need several articles written about various interesting sailing subjects, and it's really open, so if you know a lot about something and would like to write about it, we could come to some kind of agreement.
Generally speaking, a 1500 word article goes for about $40-50, but this is negotiable.
Please let me know if you are interested in this kind of work and I'll give you more details.
Hi Mora, I am interested in Ventura CA. . I don.t know how to PM a message to you
JD-MDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 07:45   #47
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Whoa! Sorry! I didn't mean to poke a nerve. And I wasn't trying to be disrespectful. The reason I put $40-50 is because I hired a writer on Iwriter.com for a 1500 word article in their "Elite" (above their standard and premium) category and it was $32.
So I thought I would improve that rate by a little bit. I have no other experience with authors or writers.
These days good writers in this industry are chronically underpaid, but your offer wouldn't even be covered by that term. Before posing this question here, you should have contacted a couple of sailing mags, to determine their pay rate, you could have then used that as your basis, even if you were offering less by looking for a skilled amateur.

The compensation you have offered is not remotely in the ballpark for a pro, or even a skilled amateur. Over the past 25 years I have written and published well over a thousand articles and columns for various publications. Even when covering a subject with which I am very familiar, requiring little research, a 1,500 word article would take me about five or six hours to write, review, edit and submit, so that's $8-10/hr... Other subjects take far longer. So, ask yourself, would you perform skilled labor for $8-10/hr?

The, 'you get what you pay for' adage applies here as it would anywhere else. If you want decent content, which requires little editing, and isn't riddled with technical and other errors, you should expect to pay a minimum of $300 for a skilled amateur, and twice that or more for a pro, for 1500 words.

By the way, and no disrespect intended, it's 'poke a hornet's nest' or 'strike a nerve', and a skilled writer, one you are paying a fair fee, will know that, which is important if you aren't having the piece professionally edited.
Steve DAntonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 07:51   #48

Boat: Trintella 47

Quote:
Hi!
I'm having no luck hiring content writers out in the world because they clearly know nothing about the subject: sailing.
So I would like to know if anyone here is interested in making a little money by writing sailing articles. You don't have to be an expert, just know what mooring means, for example.
I need several articles written about various interesting sailing subjects, and it's really open, so if you know a lot about something and would like to write about it, we could come to some kind of agreement.
Generally speaking, a 1500 word article goes for about $40-50, but this is negotiable.
Please let me know if you are interested in this kind of work and I'll give you more details.
Dallas Murphy is a professional writer and writing teacher. You might contact him.

Dallas.Murphy2@gmail.com

Rounding the Horn.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0465047602/
Charles S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 08:02   #49

Boat: Pearson Ensign , Sea Pearl 21

Pretty obvious that alot of people think they are writers. IMHO most sailing articles are boring travel diaries or charter puff pieces. I would not pay more than $50 for them.
Old 27-03-2020, 08:10   #50

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latchdaddy View Post
Pretty obvious that alot of people think they are writers. IMHO most sailing articles are boring travel diaries or charter puff pieces. I would not pay more than $50 for them.
The charter puff pieces are in effect thinly disguised ads for a charter company. As a skilled amateur writer, I'd write one for $50 if I got a free charter and air fare as part of the deal.
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 08:30   #51

Boat: Dufour 405GL

I would be interested.. already run my own blog just of our travels and experiences living on board for between 3-5 months each year, sailing the med. Seaclusion – "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." — William Arthur Ward, Writer

Please PM me with the details.
thanks
Chantal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 08:41   #52

Quote:
Hi!
Hi Mora,
I'm a freelance writer, frequent sailor to the Bahamas, and along with my husband have been sailing over 40 years. I'd love more details as this is right up our wheelhouse. Feel free to email hellobetsi@gmail.com. I look forward to hearing from you.
Betsi Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 08:48   #53

Boat: Bowman 57 Ketch : Searcher

A 1500 word article? No problem, but my rate is 25¢ a word, or $300 to $400, per article. It takes me a week to polish an article. It's taken me 50 years of sailing the East Coast and The Caribbean to have have something to share.
DHLyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 08:52   #54

Boat: Don’t own a boat at this time yet.

Wise words, Mr. DAntonio, wise words. It takes the skill level, let’s say of a Mr. DAntonio to make an article really interesting. Go to his webpage, lots of qualified informative articles. But he has lots of expertise and experience, and I can imagine it comes not cheap.
I read some blogs and online mags. It amazes me the amount of useless, boring and redundant info passing as “articles” in many of them. Hey, I have a blog, I am a writer.... sorry, no disrespect but I won’t even bother looking. Boring and unqualified. That’s why I don’t write.
I follow “Attainable Adventure Cruising”, a very interesting page. Yes, you have to pay a modest membership. It is mostly produced by Phylis Nickel and John Harries, a couple. They are experienced sailors and share their expertise. Even at that level, some articles are a bit dull but many are really interesting. You should check them out.
What I want to say is this. It takes skills to write something that makes a difference, and that is not always achievable. Quality comes with some expenses. Don’t expect quality with cheap products, don’t expect quality with cheap labor.
DanCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 09:48   #55

I am a college sailor who would be very interested in this! I can write about a variety of sailing experiences as I live in a Sabre 42 right now, but my price is a bit higher. Please let me know if you are interested.
Aparramore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 10:16   #56
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Betsi, and Aparramore.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 10:53   #57

My son, grade 10, with the schools closed is willing to try. He is doing well with English and literature (unlike his dad). He has been sailing opties, 29ers, lasers all his life and spending summers with me cruising Pacific NW as well as sailing schooners' youth offshore expeditions. He has read all JK's sailing books so is quite familiar with what sailing and related literature is. Most likely, he will have to fake the life experience part due to being a giant brainless kiddo in life

If this works and you like to try, could you send me a direct message with the best way my son can contact you directly?
Old 27-03-2020, 11:22   #58
Marine Service Provider

Boat: home built 31' Hartley Tasman

I would love to talk to you... I am a published author and a sample is on amazon, all about building my boat from scratch and the whole adventure of sailing around the world...Days of Deja vu..
sailorladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 11:27   #59

Mora if you want good articles from people who know their subject you will have to pay. I write for Yachting Monthly, Sailing today and Practical Boat Owner and have published Stress-Free Sailing, Stress-Free Motorboating, Stress-Free Navigation and on 14th May Stress-Free Mooring will be published in the UK. My fee would be £600 for a 1500 word article including photos.
DuncanWells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 11:56   #60

Boat: Hartley, South Seas ketch 12m

Quote:
Hi!
Mora, I am happy to contribute. I was a sailing master with Australian Sailing (retired)
I am also a registered trainer in maritime studies up to the level of Master under 500 Ton Sail & power. I have a small recreation boat licencing school as well. I have over many years written both paid and unpaid articles for sailing magazines as well as fishing magazines.
Afloat
Cruising Helmsman
Australian Sailing
Scuttlebutt (RMYC Toronto)
NSW Fishing Magazine
I live on my 40' ketch on Lake Macquarie NSW Australia. We are currently in isolation in Australia to assist in flattening the curve in Corona virus cases. As a retired person I have time for writing.
Toomas Nelson
smoothpiere is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing