Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2020, 16:18   #31

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland
Re: Would like to hire some one to write a sailing article

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
“Good Old Boat” magazine Writers Guidelines ➥ https://goodoldboat.com/writers-guidelines/
Sailing/technical/refit/maintenance/upgrade articles, shorter-length to feature-length (500 – 5,000 words) at $100 – $700.

16 sailing magazines & what they pay writers ➥ https://savingtosail.com/16-sailing-...-for-articles/
Gord: I've been a freelance journalist for decades and a sailor for almost as long. I wouldn't bother to pitch anything to a sailing mag, because they pay crap, unless I really really wanted something in print.

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2020, 19:25   #32

Whoa! Sorry! I didn't mean to poke a nerve. And I wasn't trying to be disrespectful. The reason I put $40-50 is because I hired a writer on Iwriter.com for a 1500 word article in their "Elite" (above their standard and premium) category and it was $32.
So I thought I would improve that rate by a little bit. I have no other experience with authors or writers.
Mora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2020, 19:36   #33

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mora View Post
Whoa! Sorry! I didn't mean to poke a nerve. And I wasn't trying to be disrespectful. The reason I put $40-50 is because I hired a writer on Iwriter.com for a 1500 word article in their "Elite" (above their standard and premium) category and it was $32.
So I thought I would improve that rate by a little bit. I have no other experience with authors or writers.
So now that you've got some actual experience with the real market, what are your new rates?

I'd be more than happy to write sailing and cruising related articles for you, but not at 10% of the going rate for professional work.

P.S., I hope you realize those jobber sites are jokes.
Old 22-03-2020, 19:42   #34

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mora View Post
Those are the google cut and paste guys who are offshore.

I write as a hobby so I can be a bit picky about who I write for. If I knew more about your publication, I might be more interested in helping you get started.
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2020, 20:50   #35

How is the OP's quest different from what the big corps are doing to our country's labor pool?
Island Time O25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2020, 20:53   #36

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
How is the OP's quest different from what the big corps are doing to our country's labor pool?

I know this was rhetorical IT, but absolutely none.
Old 23-03-2020, 00:11   #37

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Let's also not forget the labor market is a free market. Every job that gets filled is at the right pay by definition. Every single one.

Notice what happened here. The OP posted what they thought was appropriate. At that rate, they got some offshore writers before that (let me guess) did a lousy job.

Now looking for some writers in English speaking countries who actually know the subject matter, the OP posts something similar to the offshore pay scale. A couple of n00bs are looking to take the job while some experienced writers did not take the job.

That's how a free labor market works, folks. No need to get bent out of shape. A low paying job isn't dragging your industry pay down. There is no conspiracy. There are only offers of pay and possible people who think it's enough to take the job. Don't be insulted if you decide it's not enough.

If an offer is low, very few people and the inexperienced will take it. If the offer is very low, no one will take it. It's a free market. If the offer is just right, they'll get a good article by a competent author for a manageable rate. That's just how the labor market works. Same as the boat market or any other market. That's why it's called a labor MARKET.

If you're finding the average of your pay being dragged down it's not because of employers. It's because of the changes in the market. Ie: offshore participating in the industry, your service just not being worth what it once was due to technology advances, etc.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2020, 01:07   #38

I should be pleased to let you have an article for the sole benefit of your readers which I think they would find of great interest.
As such an article would solely be for the benefit of the sailing community, I would not accept payment.
If this would be of interest, please contact me when we could discuss the matter further.
Iain Simpson
iain simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2020, 01:28   #39

Boat: Watkins 27

Good day, Mora

Please email me at mulvanyp@gmail.com. I’d be interested in writing for you.

SailorPatrick

QUOTE=Mora;3098663]Hi!
I'm having no luck hiring content writers out in the world because they clearly know nothing about the subject: sailing.
So I would like to know if anyone here is interested in making a little money by writing sailing articles. You don't have to be an expert, just know what mooring means, for example.
I need several articles written about various interesting sailing subjects, and it's really open, so if you know a lot about something and would like to write about it, we could come to some kind of agreement.
Generally speaking, a 1500 word article goes for about $40-50, but this is negotiable.
Please let me know if you are interested in this kind of work and I'll give you more details.[/QUOTE]
SailorPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2020, 01:51   #40

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connemara View Post
Gord: I've been a freelance journalist for decades and a sailor for almost as long. I wouldn't bother to pitch anything to a sailing mag, because they pay crap, unless I really really wanted something in print.

Connemara
True, the sailing mags pay poorly, but it is 10x what the OP is offering. I've written a half dozen articles with pictures for sailing mags. Its just something to do that keeps your mind sharp and adds a little to the kitty. I quit with one mag because it was more work to get them to pay their bill than to write the article. Magazines are not a great business right now.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2020, 15:13   #41

Boat: Watkins 27

I would really like this opportunity. Please email me at mulvanyp@gmail.com
SailorPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2020, 15:51   #42

In the early 2000s, World Publications, publisher of Cruising World, tried their hand at a powerboat periodical "Power Cruising." I had a regular 1500 word column in their rag called SeaSkills, the name of my marine services company at the time, and also wrote a couple feature articles for them. I forget exactly, but they paid about $0.55/word, plus some for photos. And that was 15+ years ago, but before the demise of print.

For those who are eager to jump at the low rates, you simply have no idea how much time it takes to produce 1500 words that make sense, and World Pub provided an editor who helped me along the way (and who was an amazing editor).

Similar advice to the OP: if you want really simple tick-tick cruising copy, well, it's tough to sell. But you can buy it for pennies a word.
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2020, 08:57   #43

I've been sailing since I was 14 (I'm 62, now); but my knowledge is not for sale at $40-50 for a 1500 word article.
Old 27-03-2020, 06:40   #44
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour E 43
Send a message via Skype™ to WolfgangSeaLife

Look at my 10 books on amazon by Wolfgang Berg
Wolfgang@pioneer-Research.com
WolfgangSeaLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 06:49   #45

Send me the details. I’ve an English degree, and am a proficient writer. I am also a live aboard sailor.
Sofa King Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing