Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2011, 16:10   #46

Re: Why?

Well, I have read all the responses so far, and I must say the real reason you get so few responses is that most people have learned a long, long time ago that drinking and posting at the same time is a terrible idea. And given that this is a cruisers’ (i.e., sailors’) forum, by definition, 95% percent of the readership is basically in no condition to be posting at any given time.

I hope that clarifies it.

(and BTW, yes I have… )
Adamante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 16:12   #47

Boat: tbd

My first post. I've been lurking learning about sailboats as i'm hoping to buy one next year. I've only been out sailing about 20 times and have not been out in a couple years. Just soaking up some knowledge. Most threads that interest me have already answered the questions I had when reading the original post.

All I can add to most threads at this point would amount to a thread bump...
BuffaloBrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 16:14   #48

Boat: tbd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamante View Post
Well, I have read all the responses so far, and I must say the real reason you get so few responses is that most people have learned a long, long time ago that drinking and posting at the same time is a terrible idea. And given that this is a cruisers’ (i.e., sailors’) forum, by definition, 95% percent of the readership is basically in no condition to be posting at any given time. I hope that clarifies it.

(and BTW, yes I have… )
try a home brewer's forum for some incoherent posts.....
BuffaloBrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 16:14   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythicalfantasy View Post
I was just wondering why do so many people view threads but do not respond? Why do people not show their faces on here?

I like knowing who I am talking to and also believe that people should know who I am. I was just sitting here wondering why...

Michelle
Maybe because people ask questions like "why?", then find out after clicking on the thread that they have no answer to the question you didn't ask in the title.
Capt. lulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 16:21   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloBrewer View Post
try a home brewer's forum for some incoherent posts.....
No, thanks. I get enough of that reading some of my own old posts.
Adamante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 16:27   #51

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

So, for different people, it may be the case that...

people are here to be entertained
passive nature of people in society today
not having anything to say -- and actually not saying it, which is hard for some people
paranoia
justified paranoia/bad experiences -- "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
wariness of Internet trolls and asses -- though this forum is much better than most
timidity, feeling that others know a lot more, reluctance to clog the bandwidth
not wanting significant others to know what they just said on the Internet
wanting cover/anonymity in case someone says something stupid
Old 08-09-2011, 16:55   #52

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Possibly because some one comes on and asks a simple question requiring a very simple answer.

It gets that far off topic its ridiculous and then you get the people arguing about some thing thats not even related to the original question,

No wonder they dont post, Too afraid of the so called experts,

I have had it on various forums, So I get reluctant to post any thing any more,

Its just safer to read what other people have posted,

I am too good looking to put my piccy up, Hahahahaahaaaha

Brian.
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 17:09   #53
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Possibly because some one comes on and asks a simple question requiring a very simple answer.

It gets that far off topic its ridiculous and then you get the people arguing about some thing thats not even related to the original question,

No wonder they dont post, Too afraid of the so called experts,

I have had it on various forums, So I get reluctant to post any thing any more,

Its just safer to read what other people have posted,

I am too good looking to put my piccy up, Hahahahaahaaaha

Brian.
well said,and don't get put off posting
,sometimes you get that chicken little syndrome,the skys falling in by the end of a thread.
on the whole most are a pretty good bunch,considering they come from 24 different time zones............and the mods do a good and fair job of keeping it clean.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 21:50   #54

Send a message via Yahoo to mythicalfantasy
Re: Why ?

Thanks to everyone who posted on my thread. I was reading it all evening at work and found some of the answers very funny. It was very interesting to see others reasons for not doing something.

While I was trying to see if the law of averages works or not. It is said for every 100 people you normally would get at least 10 people to take part. So far I have had 746 views and I was able to get 52 post now even though some of you responded more than once I guess it did not work perfectly this time.

Thanks for participating and sharing,
Michelle
mythicalfantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 22:39   #55

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwand View Post
............ How are you going to be stalked online, anyway?
Back in 2005 I posted something on the Liveaboard forum on Sailnet about someone's political ranting -- asking him to lay off because the group was getting tired of his raving. Several others posted similar requests to stop the political ranting and save that for a different type forum. We wanted the Liveaboard forum to remain sailing/marine oriented. Hoo-boy! Talk about setting the crazy guy off!. He proceeded to stalk me long, long after I quit that forum and changed email accounts. He managed to find several of my email accounts, also my home address and home telephone number. I received hundreds of emails daily to various email accounts and he called at least 5 times daily for months. It did not stop until I threatened legal action.

It is amazing what one can find out about another person on the internet. My husband and I once owned a private investigation business. That was pre-internet days and even back then via computer and modem our skip-tracing department could find almost anyone's address and unlisted phone numbers, employer info and lots of things that would surprise you, as well as their neighbors names and addresses and phone numbers. Find an elderly neighbor and they will tell you anything you want to know just to have someone to talk to -- especially if they are talking to a woman. With the internet today, finding info on a particular person would be simpler and easier.

Now we live on the boat and cruise full-time. Nothing interesting about our lives; nothing to attempt to hide from others on the internet; so my identity is an open book. Others still working and living at 'home' might not want much of their private life info available for others to possibly utilize in a nefarious manner.

Judy
S/V BeBe
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 00:01   #56

Boat: Bollard 50' Sea Fever Motor Sailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangkaboat View Post
Two separate issues, right? I view many threads without responding, because:
- I don't know enough about the subject to respond.
- I see that someone with more familiarity with the subject has already responded.
- Someone has already said what I would've.
- My response will elicit a drawn-out argument(still working on avoiding this)
- I read a thread title that is interesting, but the course of discussion is less so.
- I start reading the last few posts of a thread, then realize I'll have to go back & read the other 100 pages in order not to repeat what has already been said.
- I read a thread with an interesting title, only to realize that the OP is following a hidden agenda of selling something or someone.

The other issue of who is behind the username, seems to be different on various forums. On some, the "invisible man/woman" seems to lack credibility, on other forums this is less so. I don't think that it is wise to put too much personal info on the 'net, yet, like many, I made that error.

WHAT HE SAID!
Shiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 00:03   #57

Boat: Bollard 50' Sea Fever Motor Sailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamante View Post
Well, I have read all the responses so far, and I must say the real reason you get so few responses is that most people have learned a long, long time ago that drinking and posting at the same time is a terrible idea. And given that this is a cruisers’ (i.e., sailors’) forum, by definition, 95% percent of the readership is basically in no condition to be posting at any given time.

I hope that clarifies it.

(and BTW, yes I have… )

WHAT HE SAID!
Shiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:46   #58

Boat: 1962 Sunfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
I received hundreds of emails daily to various email accounts and he called at least 5 times daily for months. It did not stop until I threatened legal action.
Pretty easy to fix through his domain. Most people don't hide them too well.

Quote:
With the internet today, finding info on a particular person would be simpler and easier.
That's why I don't cower in fear that someone's gonna track me down cause I posted a picture.

Quote:
Others still working and living at 'home' might not want much of their private life info available for others to possibly utilize in a nefarious manner.
It'd be a shame to have to live in fear over whether you can post a picture on the internet and let your friends see what you look like. What a miserable sounding existence for someone to think the boogey man is watching them and waiting to track them down through a picture, incapacitating them with fear.

It makes me wonder how their paranoia rules other aspects of their lives.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:52   #59

Boat: Privilege 37
Re: Why ?

Michelle

Some people are extrovert and like having everybody know what they are doing and who they are.

Some are introverted and tend to hide who they are

Some people have security reasons, or fears.

We are all different (thank goodness)

Old 09-09-2011, 03:57   #60
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleebana View Post
But Don, can we be sure that you haven't been digitally enhanced?

Greg (real name, but too ugly for photo-very big nose)

Because if I did a photoshop and this is the best I could I could make me look then I would be even more "special".