Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2011, 13:03   #31

Send a message via Skype™ to cbtucker
Re: Who has TIME to serious offshore cruising?

It sounds like heaven, and once I can figure it I want to join. I know people say just do it, and do it soon. But - when you ave debts and need a way to pay them off - you have to stay long enough to do that no? I ran headlong into life, a divorce - a year long layoff, and needless to say retirement is gone, and debts are big. I once again have a decent job, but I will need some time. The only thing I think some of us can do, is simplify everything in our life to hurry our progress on clearing some of our debts. For me this will mean getting rid of unneeded expenses, starting to sell and clear out anything I don't need. I don't need a big boat, and will do a bunch of the work myself, but alas it will still require some time.

So good luck to the dreamers - and congratulations to the ones already living the life!
cbtucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2011, 15:32   #32

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

I have a whole collection of quotes on the subject ... here is one I like:

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!" …. Hunter S. Thompson
Old 25-06-2011, 16:07   #33
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Who has TIME to serious offshore cruising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgzzzz View Post
Cap -- Something I've been considering as a last gasp dream is just flying to that spot I want to be, buy a small weekender-type boat, and travel around from there; skip the hard part of weeks or months at sea, and the expense of enough boat just to get there.
Why not... its easy enough... Just buy a plane ticket... simple as that..
Done it twice to the Carib and once to NC... saw loads, did loads and had fun...
All 3 times I was broke but happy when I got back to Europe... well not so happy the first time when I got T-boned of Start Point...
Any regrets... none that matter... I doubt I'd wanna be anywhere else than where I'm at now...
Had to laugh last week walking through Bayona... all the 'toff's' were out in their Gucci and Prada strutting their stuff along the promenade and along comes this gangly unshaven guy with sweat and oil stained hat spoiling the view... man there were some serious sneers going....
Guess I shoulda got my designer gear out...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2011, 16:09   #34

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
I have a whole collection of quotes on the subject ... here is one I like:

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!" …. Hunter S. Thompson
Great quote... Timing is everything.
I always wonder about those of us who... "skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""... then after our YEEEhaaa has stopped echoing and the smoke is clearing, we realize we've still got to get to the pearly gates, which are still over the horizon somewhere and we seems to have lost the damn GPS during the ride

And by the way, do you mind changing your avatar back to something dull and boring. You're doing my head in...

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, offshore