Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2017, 06:21   #1

Boat: Parker Super Seal 26
Where to start cruising?

Hi,

so I learned how to sail (at least enough to be neither endangering myself nor others), put away some money and gave notice to my current employer. The Question which is bugging me at the moment is: Where should I buy a boat?

I'm on a budget, so there will be some fixing be involved after the purchase. I'm looking for some monohull around 36ft, small enough for decent single-handing. Ideal would be a place where boats are cheap(ish), where there is good infrastructure and ideally warm climate. I'm pretty handy with stuff, so I'm not after places with cheap labour but good availability and pricing of spares & materials. Decent internet connection would be a plus as well.

I've got a German Passport (works almost anywhere) and speak pretty good english and bits of french and spanish.

If you were in my place, where would you start?

Cheers and many thanks, Andi
_andi_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 07:01   #2

Boat: Currently in between
Re: Where to start cruising?

I realize you can, and possibly will, fly somewhere to buy your boat. However, if we knew where you were now we could use that as a starting point in recommendations. Remember, rarely is there such a thing as having too much information! The more you give us the more we can help you.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:14   #3

Boat: Parker Super Seal 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
However, if we knew where you were now we could use that as a starting point in recommendations.
ATM, I'm in Leipzig, Germany. Best place around here which meets my needs would be Hamburg, Germany or more precisely the Hamburg Yachthafen which is actually is not in Hamburg but close by. I actually did buy a boat there last year (and did a month of fixing as well). Downsides are crappy climate and quite demanding waters. That was my test run so to speak

I also did a post in the introductory forum, there is more info about me there in case you're interested:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...er-181267.html
_andi_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 07:40   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

What country is your idea of exotic?

Buy one there or close.
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:25   #5

Location: Boat is currently at a marina in Point Richmond, CA
Boat: Pacific Seacraft "Crealock" 34'

Sea of Cortez/Baja. La Paz is a great place to pick up a cheap boat, warm, inland and protected, and one of the most lovely cruising grounds on Earth.
jenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:28   #6

Boat: Boatless

What's your idea of cheap? :-)

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:33   #7

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

I agree with the Sea of Cortez. In my opinion some of the most forgiving of waters. There are some other Germans there, it is pretty inexpensive, exotic, and a great place to make acquantances with folks heading out, or back to the US west coast and gather info on where you may want to continue to. Whole groups of sailors leave there heading to central America, or the south pacific. My middle name is Andrew, I was Dandy Andy as a youth. Look for me there.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:35   #8

Florida or ST Martin, Trinidad? etc. Tons of boats in Florida.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:36   #9

look the blog for sv trinity they are a german couple that we meet when they were on the east coast US great people and a wealth of knowledge are are now living back in germany
roberthowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:41   #10

Boat: Lots of boats.

If you were up to moving to the "wild west" we call the US, and could somehow get across the borders, I would suggest anywhere from the Chesapeake to Florida (but I think they are building an Atlantic wall too!). Lots of jobs and if you don't mind doing some work, there are lots of almost "free" boats up to that size. Many are in decent condition, but usually need LOTS of cleaning and minor repairs. Just contact local marinas. They all have boats they want out of their yard or at least paying storage fees.
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:46   #11

Kieler Förde, natürlich! And stay away from the Wattensee!

You will find more good cruising in the Danish "South Sea Islands" south of Funen than you can shake a stick at. You will find more challenges in both of the Belts and in the Sound than you are probably ready for, not to mention the Kattegat, while still being close enuff to excellent harbours to be heard if you cry "Uncle!".

The whole of the Pommeranian and East Prussian Baltic coast has to be a joy, again with some challenges that will sharpen your skills, and the Island of Bornholm may save your bacon if you get yourself in trouble.

The Swedish Skerries and the Gulf of Bothnia with the Finnish and Karelian skerries are within reach in a long summer's sail out of Kiel. Check in on Ystad in Scania and on Mariehamn on Aaland Island. Visby on Gotland is wonderful too.

Not only is there wonderful sailing in these waters but if you are German or Scowegian and interested in history, then this neckathewoods will keep you jollified for several lifetimes.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:52   #12

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

We are in Mexico at the Sea of Cortez now. Yes it is a great place to buy a boat and generally meets your requirements. However boat parts are expensive. It would be really helpful to have a car available for trips to the US to buy parts. However there are people going north all the time and you can usually catch a ride there and bus back. By expensive I mean about 2/3 more than US prices.
However living expenses are very low so it might be doable to outfit a boat here. You would need to look carefully at present exchange rates to know how the money would affect you if you will exchange euro for pesos.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:58   #13

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

Somewhere warm and welcoming then join thousands of your compatriots along with Brits, Austrians, Polish, Hungarians etc in Croatia. Definitely warmer than Hamburg. Its a long days drive away from you which is handy if you want to fix up the boat. Alternatively, a short flight away. Loads of boats for sale ex charter, along with ex-patriot private owners moving up or away. Added to that, its a great cruising ground.
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:05   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

East coast US, FL or Chesapeake Bay area. North Florida is very inexpensive and the weather is generally nice if a bit hot and humid in the summer. But cheap boat parts, cheap dockage and LOTS of used boat. Not sure about visas and how long you can stay since I was born here and don't have to worry about that.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:47   #15

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by _andi_ View Post
Hi, so I learned how to sail (at least enough to be neither endangering myself nor others), put away some money and gave notice to my current employer. The Question which is bugging me at the moment is: Where should I buy a boat? I'm on a budget, so there will be some fixing be involved after the purchase. I'm looking for some monohull around 36ft, small enough for decent single-handing. Ideal would be a place where boats are cheap(ish), where there is good infrastructure and ideally warm climate. I'm pretty handy with stuff, so I'm not after places with cheap labour but good availability and pricing of spares & materials. Decent internet connection would be a plus as well.I've got a German Passport (works almost anywhere) and speak pretty good english and bits of french and spanish. If you were in my place, where would you start? Cheers and many thanks, Andi
Check around the US Great Lakes such as on this web site: Michigan
http://www.sailboatlistings.com/cgi-...=32&so=descend
or Illinois:
or Wisconsin
Although Canadian & living in the West Indies since 1980, I purchased my last 2 (Fresh water) sailboats on lake Michigan (One in Chicago, the last one across in Manistee
etc...
Cheers-to-you-too
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ericson_34_00.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	142857   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ericson_34_28.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	142858