Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2020, 07:37   #1

Where to Move

Living in the NYC area is stressful. We thinking about our options for relocating. What do you all think is the best coastal town to raise a family? Must have decent quality of life, jobs, cruising grounds, access to surfing within 45 min or so.

Thanks!!
svenskflicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:09   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Where to Move

Hmmm. Let's talk about Florida for a moment. The surfing on the west and northwest coasts is no good, so we're talking Atlantic coast. Next in line is schools, because Florida overall doesn't do a good job of funding. Individual counties and communities may, and the state does have a pretty good system of technical, community, regional, and state colleges and universities. Then I'd look at city size, because you are talking about Miami-Dade down to tiny villages. If I were doing it, I'd look at Vero Beach, Ft. Pierce, and Stuart, which fit in the middle range - city services, but not Miami, which I would imagine has about the same negatives as NYC.

Overall, the state has a lower than average in the US cost of living, even with exchanging your NY heating bill for your FL air conditioning bill. Property and building costs are WAY lower than NY, and the state does not have an income tax. That means less services, but still cheaper than you are used to.

I had my career and have my retirement in the south. That meant my income was less than if I were in the north east, but so has been my cost of living. The slower pace does not mean there is less energy, it means that everyone is nice to everyone else. In my little community (not a good choice for you) a check out clerk who does not smile and greet you and ask after your day is thought to be a very cold fish.

I like visiting my kids and their children in Boston. They have great services and cultural stuff we don't have. Their cost of living is 1.46 times the national average; mine is 0.86 times national average.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:25   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Building on tkeithlu's ideas, I'd add that the St Johns County schools are excellent. This is the Saint Augustine area with plenty of amenities, but still not "big city". More hurricane protection for your vessel could be with a slip on the St. Johns River about 15 miles NW of St. Augustine in Green Cove Springs. This is a smaller village, but with access to St. Augustine and Jacksonville.

Wrightsville Beach, NC? Virginia Beach, Va?
Old 12-02-2020, 08:35   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Yes, Norfolk area.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:50   #5

Boat: Catalina 320

San Clemente, California
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:57   #6

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Come to St. Petersburg, FL!
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 11:18   #7

Boat: Century Raven 17'
Send a message via MSN to BugzyCan

If I was American, I would be living in Hawaii.
BugzyCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 08:27   #8

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Southwest Florida, south of Tampa, north of Naples. (Leave any uber-liberal political leanings behind. We prefer to not Californicate Florida!)
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 04:55   #9

Thanks for the tips everyone, we will look into them. Lots of votes for the west coast of Florida, but seems like surfing must be much too far away there.
Old 18-02-2020, 05:07   #10

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

SW Florida has everything on your check list except surfing...no decent surfing anywhere in Florida or the shores of the Gulf of Mexico except during storms.

(Im in Bocas del Toro, Panama now...one of the few places in the Carib with good surfing...the only one in the W Carib).
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 05:08   #11

Will you only consider USA venues?
Old 18-02-2020, 05:21   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Will you only consider USA venues?
Would consider outside USA. But most likely would either be USA or Sweden.
Old 18-02-2020, 05:34   #13

Half Moon Bay CA, near San Francisco. Legendary Mavericks' surf spot is outside of town, and many others along the way south on Hwy 1. Good schools, laid-back, good access to SF and San Jose job markets albeit with a difficult commute. Definitely has a coastal town vibe to it. There is a marina (Pillar Pt), though not much diversity in cruising as it dumps right into the Pacific. 30-mins over the hill to SF (no traffic) puts you in perhaps the most focused sailing community in North America.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 09:38   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskflicka View Post
Would consider outside USA. But most likely would either be USA or Sweden.
Portugal is awfully nice, dont know about the schools there, but there is sailing and epic surfing...and its much closer to Sweden (assuming family etc there).
Old 18-02-2020, 09:47   #15

Boat: Freedom 38

My vote is for the Coastside, too (the area north and south of Half Moon Bay). I used to live in Montara. Just a small-town feel. Every kid I knew there either surfs or sails or skies or rides horses or all of the above depending on the "season." They all seem to ride bikes and hike as just a matter of course. My friends are very much focused on living a healthy and happy life. But it helps to have lots of money! Average yearly income in CA is around 160k, which I think is for a family of 4. Half Moon Bay area is probably a bit higher.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote