Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2017, 09:41   #1

Where to charter in March/April

Hi All
I would love to hear anyones suggestions on where to charter in March/April 2018. Need to have sunshine but be relatively cheap, I'm taking my adult kids and their partners so 6 on the boat!!
Caribbean being the obvious but gets pricey with the flights. Was wondering about the canaries?? or open to suggestions for anywhere else to look at.
All suggestions welcomed thank you.
Outsidedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 11:50   #2

Boat: 2009 Leopard 37 Powercat
Re: Where to charter in March/April

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsidedays View Post
Hi All
I would love to hear anyones suggestions on where to charter in March/April 2018. Need to have sunshine but be relatively cheap, I'm taking my adult kids and their partners so 6 on the boat!!
Caribbean being the obvious but gets pricey with the flights. Was wondering about the canaries?? or open to suggestions for anywhere else to look at.
All suggestions welcomed thank you.
Still too cold for Puget Sound then.

Florida? Yacht Charters Florida Trawler Charters - Sailboat Powerboat Bareboat, Grand Banks, Krogen, and Mainship Yacht Charters. Mine there is only good for 5 people but they have other boats good for 6.

Bahamas? Bahamas is far cheaper than BVIs. 30 minutes from MIA or FLL. Moorings Marsh Harbour has good boats.
David Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 12:17   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post
Still too cold for Puget Sound then.

Florida? Yacht Charters Florida Trawler Charters - Sailboat Powerboat Bareboat, Grand Banks, Krogen, and Mainship Yacht Charters. Mine there is only good for 5 people but they have other boats good for 6.

Bahamas? Bahamas is far cheaper than BVIs. 30 minutes from MIA or FLL. Moorings Marsh Harbour has good boats.
Thanks David, some good ideas but the problem is being UK based (I should have said) flights to anywhere your side of the pond are pricey.
Old 20-04-2017, 13:40   #4

I chartered from Tenerife for a week in February last year. Definitely the nearest warm weather destination for that time of year. It's island to island sailing though. And generally very windy with acceleration zones around the islands.No good over night anchorages and very few lunch anchors. That being said, it offers excellent sailing if your party are up for strong wind open ocean type sailing. If not, the Tenerife to nearby La gomera is a nice easy circuit. Hope this helps...
wild rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 13:49   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Where to charter in March/April

Why not look at Portugal and the Algarve.. we've been enjoying temps of between 23c and 27c the last 10 days.
An Algarve charter gives you two countries to explore.. W.Spain and Portugal
Algarve Yacht - Boat and Yacht Charters, Lagos, Portugal
www.justcharters.com

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 12:25   #6

Thanks boatman61 and WildRover, couple of interesting and useful comments. Will explore in more detail.
Don't suppose anyone has chartered from Gib?
Old 24-04-2017, 03:45   #7
Marine Service Provider

In April you'd definitely have better chances in southern Spain in the Med. Less wind, smooth seas, and temps in the mid 20's.
Option 1:
If you took out a boat from Alicante you could see all the great coast from La Costa Blanca down to Almeria where you have some amazing nature reserves (Cabo de Gata being the most amazing). Many of the best beaches, like Playa de Los Muertos, are best accessed by boat so a charter yacht is the best choice for this region.
Option 2:
The Balearic islands. A cheap flight to Barcelona is easily found and from there it's just a quick shot over to Mallorca or Ibiza. Both of these places are great for families with many amenities and activities on hand.
We're from Valencia and the temperature here routinely hits the mid to high 20's in April.
If you have any more questions about the region, diving or charter just check out our website as we have quite and extensive guide to yacht charter in Spain.

Good luck!
Chrilar14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 14:14   #8

Try Sail Caribe on the east coast of Puerto Rico. You'll sail in the Spanish Virgin Islands. Flying to San Juan, PR costs half as much as flying a few miles further to the US or British Virgin Islands.

Top quality marina, people and boats. I chartered a 48' monohull with eight people aboard in February.
dwmCA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, charter