Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2018, 09:59   #16

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft
Re: Where does the young cruiser roam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by _andi_ View Post
Hi,

first of all: No offense to folks at any age indented!

I just like to hang out with folks from the same generation from time to time. I found a couple of areas where literally everybody is the age of my parents or even grandparents, now I'm wondering if there's also the opposite? So, do you per chance now any areas with plenty of young sailors (like above 20 and below 40)?

Thanks, Andi

Why don't you start a facebook group, or some such thing?

It might draw disparate younger cruisers into contact, and create some seasonal meet-ups or congregations, etc. I'd bet there's a younger generation that would like to stay loosely in touch if they knew about it.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2018, 10:14   #17

Boat: Boatless

They are in a cafe with their heads in a screen watching sailing la vagabond :-)

Somewhere recently someone posted data about the declining number of young people taking up sailing.

Makes sense, all just heading into the matrix where ironically I am right now!

We started long distance cruising for long periods of time in our 20’s aboard a 40’ Hughes. More times than I can remember we were asked when our parents were coming down to their boat.

Head south or wherever, you’ll find your tribe, will never be many of them.
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2018, 10:18   #18

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

We meet many cruisers of all ages each year in our travels around southeast and south-central Alaska.

Last summer I was at anchor and met two seperate under 30 somethings singlhanding their own vessels; both heading further north.

One thing I have noticed with the younger [say, under 30] sailors is they are usually more gregarious and will likely stop by our anchored boat to say hi- often leading to invites to share food and adult beverages... [a great way to nullify any perceived age stratification...]

Often they are on their first boat and leave the impression of just getting by... but typically in wonderful fashion. When I share my early experiences and demonstrate how I have been where they are, it absolutely levels the playing field.

If there is one commonality with the younger cruisers I have met these last few years, it is they seem to be in search of themselves through their travels and adventures— not social groups... That is to say they are perfectly content with their own company. [Self actualizing as they say...?]

Perhaps we can correlate where a cruiser chooses to travel with their desire to socialize...?

Just a few observations from one multiples north of the 'younger' crowd...

Best wishes finding what you seek.

Cheers! Bill
Old 29-12-2018, 10:23   #19
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Where does the young cruiser roam?

Remember a Vimo video a coupla years back where some young uns bought a boat for $1000 and went on to sail to the islands and have a ball..
Dunno how old Boat Alexandra is but theres another amazing example of what one can do with a $1000 boat.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2018, 10:30   #20

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhead View Post
Why don't you start a facebook group, or some such thing?

It might draw disparate younger cruisers into contact, and create some seasonal meet-ups or congregations, etc. I'd bet there's a younger generation that would like to stay loosely in touch if they knew about it.

According to my niece, FB is for old people....
Souzag818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2018, 10:32   #21

Boat: Vancouver 27

Just get out there and start moving around, don't give it a second thought. Young cruisers exist, though the clear majority are older. You'll come across young boats from time to time. Maybe you cruise tandem for a good while, maybe you just cross paths. Even then, once you get away from the major boating centers, esp away from the big cities on the US east coast, the age gaps matter less and less.

We are 35 and 28. Currently only doing winters aboard, leapfrogging the boat around the W Caribe. Did it full time from 25-32, but eventually wanted to dry the feet off a bit and try some land things as well.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2018, 10:38   #22

Boat: 1985 Beneteau First 305

Alaska has some fairly younger crowds. I always buzz the neighboring boats in an anchorage and chat it up. But like the rest of us, we are mostly day and weekend sailors. Gotta make the money somehow...
907Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2018, 10:44   #23
KTP

The young cruisers who happen to be good looking and wear skimpy outfits are out there sailing for free and being sponsored by the rest of the people stuck in office jobs.
KTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2018, 10:49   #24
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Where does the young cruiser roam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souzag818 View Post
According to my niece, FB is for old people....
Thats why I quit..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2018, 11:05   #25

Well, I am neither good looking nor live where anyone wears a bikini... must be why nobody gives me money ��
Old 29-12-2018, 11:12   #26

Boat: Rafiki 37

What is it with these recent threads about young people wanting to mainly/only hang out mostly with young people? I can’t recall one thread where middle-aged people or older folk asks this question. But I’ve seen this theme crop up here on CF, oh must be a 1/2 dozen times in the last year or so.

I know… there are more old and middle folk out cruising. And we are all tribal, so I get the tendency to connect with like. But still, I wonder if this speaks to a growing tendancy in “young” people these days.

They’ve grown up with a far greater ability to create their own private window on the world than preceding generations. The Internet allow people to define who is their “friend” and who is ignored. It allows us to narrow our world to a very small frame. Social media has taken this to an extreme. And now we’re surrounded by algorithms which ensure we only see what we already like. Little risk of being exposed to new ideas, or people with different backgrounds, with different views.

As a Gen-xer I have (have had) great friends who are much older than I, and many who are younger. Age is largely irrelevant. It’s the character of the person that I care about.

I can’t imagine seeking out an area that only contained Gen-xers. It’s just a foreign concept to me, which is why I’m curious why we’re seeing this now with “young cruisers.”

BTW, I don’t mean to be antagonistic with this question. I’m honestly fascinated by what I perceive as a change in how we associate.
Old 29-12-2018, 11:26   #27

Yeah, I’m on the younger side of genX. I enjoy people who like to have a few drinks, play cards, and listen to good music. I don’t care about age, but I do care about youngins partying until 3am. I turn into a pumpkin around midnight.
Old 29-12-2018, 11:30   #28
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Kids have always enjoyed hanging out together.

How much time have you spent socializing with people twice your age over your lifetime? 3x?

With so few young people cruising most places I can totally grok the OP, just doubt they'll find such a place, rather than just chance encounters out there riding where the currents take them.

One bit not yet mentioned: go ashore, befriend the locals!
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2018, 11:35   #29
Marine Service Provider

Australia is a great country with great people, but big, way bigger than the US when it comes to people per square mile. That means the chicks and guys are few and far between and they will almost all be locals with jobs, school, family or whatever.

The BVI wins this contest hands down. They have no competition anywhere that its legal to party. It is party central on steroids during the major regattas. 99% non-BVIers make up the cruising crowd, of which probably 60-70% are under age 45. The International Airline regatta in October is described as "nine days of drunken debauchery". Airline employees from all over the world. Of course there are plenty of small islands and quiet anchorages to get away for this.

See you in October.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2018, 11:46   #30
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Yes lived on Tortola a few years, lots of races, the cruising owners were older, but yes lots of blow-in party crowds were younger.

But by that mean maybe 25-45 weighted high.

The 30-under crowd were mostly traveling with older rellies, not chartering themselves.

Great parties regardless!
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser