Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2011, 09:42   #91

Re: What ever happened to learn by doing???? Read a book and go for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
capttman,

I am with you. My girlfriend bought our first boat before we even knew how to sail. It was a Catalina 30. I did not want anything to do with sailing. It was all her idea.
Had the broker sign an agreement that he would take us out a few times to show us how things worked. Devoured a basic sail boat book the week before signing and the rest is history.
I really think that sailing is the easy part.
The docking was always the hard part until we purchased the cat and that problem is now past us.

Mark
After reading your post I tried to get my cat to assist with docking to no avail. It seems to be more interested in food and sleeping. How did you motivate it?
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2011, 09:44   #92

Lessons are good, life experience is good also. Get a dingy and sail it, crew on a racing boat will be better. I'm not into the ASA BS, but having an instructor (any good instructor or sailor) is a faster way to learn the basics anyway. Once you've got the basic terminology, sail trim theory etc... just go for it! JMHO
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2011, 09:51   #93

Jackdale: Huh? You can somehow determine that I'm lying in my post?

Imagine2frolic: They were worthless as sailors. As for other skills, they were worthless at those as well. Apparently bad cooking and bad loving go hand in hand with bad sailing.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2011, 10:05   #94

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
They were worthless as sailors. As for other skills, they were worthless at those as well. Apparently bad cooking and bad loving go hand in hand with bad sailing.
All three take lots of practice, I have no problem with that!
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2011, 10:13   #95
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

as for cat helping--mine opens his eyes and meouws-- but wont lend a hand to help-- aklways making a comment tho...
as for asa cert alleged sailors-- some came to me for crew position--i am not impresssed with their knowledge base....nor am i impressed with their confidence base--i told them i was sailing 100 miles off shore-- they ran-- was my luckiest day....i prefer someone whio has had instruction as an apprentice rather than as a class type setting. there ARE good sailors with whom to do this. is also a lot more fun tha thaving to listen to some one yelling at ye from a dink...
btw--i didnt have a dink to sail until i was 40 yr into my sailing experiences..LOL..... then i found a newport 11/kite to play in-- didnt make me any more intelligent in sailing.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2011, 10:30   #96

Boat: rhodes,seafarer,28

Wannago; All the basic principles are the same no matter what the size of the boat. On a small boat you can feel the changes and healing etc.much easier and when you move up to a larger vessel,you'll know how the boat will resond to your actions.
capt.bobfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2011, 10:40   #97

Boat: O'Day 28
Cool Re: What ever happened to learn by doing???? Read a book and go for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
For many a structured lesson is the fast track to fewer bad habits. Sure you can get out there, and flounder around. Eventually you will get it. Some don't last that long, and others go on to cross oceans.People take driving lessons, golf, batting, and the list is huge.......i2f

Surely you are NOT suggesting that one can improve one's golf game by taking lessons? Come on.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2011, 10:53   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
Jackdale: Huh? You can somehow determine that I'm lying in my post?
I did not accuse you of lying. I am just of the view that your opinion is "worthless."
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2011, 11:00   #99

Boat: Island Packet 35 Cutter Rig
Re: What ever happened to learn by doing? Read a book and go for it!

So I decide to take a course and lo and behold the instructor has never even been more then off the immediate coast on a sail boat....duh...and they want to give lessons???? I've got a problem taking a sailing course, let alone navagation from someone who hasn't even experienced off coast sailing and is a "purveyor of fear". Guess its time to find another sailing course!!! I'm happy to say that my husband has more knowledge of sailing then they do and is a fantastic instructor! I will keep on searching courses until I find an instructor that has more knowledge then I do and then will take the course. I still like to have that license under my belt, never know when it might come in handy!
Velma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2011, 11:01   #100
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What ever happened to learn by doing? Read a book and go for it!

<<<<<<<<<<<<<< LowLife....

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2011, 11:07   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velma View Post
So I decide to take a course and lo and behold the instructor has never even been more then off the immediate coast on a sail boat....duh...and they want to give lessons???? I've got a problem taking a sailing course, let alone navagation from someone who hasn't even experienced off coast sailing and is a "purveyor of fear". Guess its time to find another sailing course!!! I'm happy to say that my husband has more knowledge of sailing then they do and is a fantastic instructor! I will keep on searching courses until I find an instructor that has more knowledge then I do and then will take the course. I still like to have that license under my belt, never know when it might come in handy!
Hi Velma, from a fellow Albertan.

What level of course did you take? A CYA Basic instructor or an ISPA Day Skipper instructors does not need offshore experience. Nor does a Intermediate / Coastal Skipper instructor. It would be beneficial.

I am of the view that an instructor is to provide an experience that builds the competence and confidence of their students.

PM me if you wish.

Jack
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2011, 11:21   #102
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
<<<<<<<<<<<<<< LowLife....
ye talking to me??if so, am proud of that title..LOL..... rum included...mebbe i might even consume some..LOL
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2011, 12:11   #103

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: What ever happened to learn by doing ? Read a book and go for it !

One of the problems with reading the book and buying a boat is that you are likely to be needing outside help, and that goes against my philosophy.

I once had to tow a 35 ft sailboat the last 15 miles into Boston because the new owner couldn't get the engine started, and couldn't figure out how to sail into the wind. He bought the boat in Canada and set off with no experience or instruction--his wife had the good sense to fly from Halifax...
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2011, 12:29   #104

Boat: C&C Mega 30

I'm reminded of a PBS show that I watched several years ago. They presented the central argument that the main thing separating man from primates is that men shared there knowledge, and shared what they learned with each other. Imagine if we had to discover everything from scratch ourselves, which is how they believed monkeys learned.

Of course, like any skill, experience counts. But knowledge is important, it's hard to apply knowledge you don't understand. And it takes a long time to come up with that stuff on your own.

Not to mention that some people consider that learning how to sail involves more than sail trim and steering, but also navigation...
wannago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2011, 12:35   #105

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

As a former sailing instructor (sort of!) with absolutely no training or sailing certification at the time, I am struck by the seeming lack of concern, generally, that Velma brought up.
Granted, it was back in the 60's when I taught sailing for JibSet out of Vancouver and I don't recall there being any certification required to teach sailing. My experience had been self taught in my own Snipe plus a few race crewing positions but I had worked commercially on the water for several years at that point and had enough seatime to sit for a Mate's Certification for Coastal Inland Waters.
Les Alfreds, the owner, long since deceased, was a great guy and trying to get more folks interested in the sport, bought 4 Cal 20's and hired a few of us dock rats to teach newbies how to sail. As I recall, we concentrated on boat handling, running, reaching, MOB drills and teaching what sailing terms we knew. I was probably one of the least knowledgeable instructors of the 4 of us but knew more about the rules of the road and navigation than everyone else combined due to my commercial experience.
I look back fondly to those days secure in the feeling that my students didn't learn a hell of alot about sailing from me but we all had a great time being on the water.
I'm sure that the world of sailing instruction has come a long way from those early days but we had a marvelous time... Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote