Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2011, 20:08   #271

Re: What Ever Happened to Learn by Doing ? Read a Book and Go for it !

There are old sailors; and there are bold sailors. There are no old, bold sailors.

Old adage - there are a few of those.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 07:25   #272

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Gosh, Jackdale... I guess I'm just an old, cold sailor... cheers, CP
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 08:01   #273
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

yipes ----i go ttired of being an old cold sailorette-- so i sailed here....aint cold no mo...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 14:15   #274

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27
Re: What ever happened to learn by doing ? Read a book and go for it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_78 View Post
I will be taking an ASA course to get started. I'll be in the Kemah area to take lessons and see how it goes with hands-on learning.

After around 15hrs of driving yesterday, I made it to Kemah late last night. I'm looking forward to doing the ASA class. This morning was a bit rainy but the sun came out for now. Hopefully the weather will improve or at least be nice for the weekend.

Time to walk around the Boardwalk again now that it's nice out.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 10:38   #275

Quote:
Originally Posted by capttman View Post
OK, can I have a gripe here? Every time I see a post with someone wanting to begin sailing all I seem to see is advice on getting ASA training take lessons etc....

My feeling is get a sunfish and go for it then a bigger and bigger till ya happy... Read a book, trial and error or OPB to learn.

Have we really become a bunch of morons who can't just do it any more or am I just old and cranky??

Come on slaughter me or agree with me or what do you think.......
I will play the Devil's Advocate here. It relates to a concern I had recently, which stemmed from a concern I have had for quite some time.

First, I will preface this with my opinion. I am a fixer. I am a retired jet-fixer. I know and love figuring things out to fix or overcome a challenge.

However, the thing I have been bothered by for quite some time is the licensing of drivers. My guys (in the Navy) had to certify regularly on things such as forklifts. Some untrained young person with a cell phone stapled to their head can hop in a 6,000 pound SUV and drive away with nothing more than a driver's license, which has very weak requirements to get.

I was disappointed to discover recently that in Florida you don't need a license or any kind of training (if you're born before 1988) to operate a vessel. Whoa?! Really?! It seems almost obvious that at least a cursory understanding of the rules of the road would be required before hopping in a 40' something and cruising down the inter-coastal, etc.

Now, I agree that someone who is capable of using their brain can figure it out. However, when any knucklehead can grab the reins and take off around your boat or mine, it seems reasonable to require (unfortunately not), but at least suggest courses to familiarize people. Especially those who have no prior knowledge of the workings of a boat, water, weather, etc.

John
NJtheteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 11:00   #276

so, njteacher--i need to find a school and take classes in sailing just because i havent a license to operate a boat despite having done so for over 55 yrs??????
this should be mandated in law form????
dont we have enough for our tired legislators who hat to work to do ??/ they cant even find time to make a proper budget, yet we need to make more damlaws???? do we truly need our gumminkt to be our mommy and daddy , or shuld we be able to use our feeble brains to avoid cat-ass-trophe?
Old 29-07-2011, 11:45   #277

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
so, njteacher--i need to find a school and take classes in sailing just because i havent a license to operate a boat despite having done so for over 55 yrs??????
this should be mandated in law form????
dont we have enough for our tired legislators who hat to work to do ??/ they cant even find time to make a proper budget, yet we need to make more damlaws???? do we truly need our gumminkt to be our mommy and daddy , or shuld we be able to use our feeble brains to avoid cat-ass-trophe?
I apologize if I offended. I do not, however, retract my opinion. Obviously, some concession is necessary for those with experience. A fear of more gub'mental control doesn't apply, in my opinion, when talking about the safety and security of everyone around. It would apply when considering regulating the annual travel habits of the average citizen.

I do not, as I said before, like the idea of some youngster with no experience hopping in an expensive vessel with enough bells and whistles to allow them to drive with one finger, much like their SUV, and just tooling out into a waterway with no understanding that they should slow down and turn to their starboard (in certain situations), or even what starboard is.

Seriously, would you want the highways to be full of people with no licenses and big vehicles? Yes, you likely have experience in your vehicle on the highway as well. However, that is not always the case and I don't think it at all excessive to require at least a minimum understanding of what the flow of traffic should be, what Stop means, what a four-way stop is (besides the most ridiculous waste of time N.A. creation). Exactly the same way the waterways 'should' be.

Just because the gub'ment is invoked for something doesn't mean that it will automatically turn into a 'big brother is watching' situation.

I profess to be an expert at nothing. I do choose to learn, though, and I realize that is not always the interest for everyone.

John
NJtheteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 11:58   #278

many locales already have classes mandated for the under 18 or 16 or whatever age limit they placed but i am not current with that legislation or lack thereof-is a nanny law which makes way too much sense not to have. there should be added to the class room atmosphere a hands on learning as well, if not already in place.
i am not being contradictory-- kids should be monitored in motorized dinks-i have seen too many not knowledgeable and carrying on their parents rude defiance of true laws on the water and causing danger to all inclusive of selves.
is not necessarily the law's job to nanny these kids-- parental control used to mean something. now kids are not being taught in home---is said now to be "TEACHERS' JOB" to teach reading in life? or potty train? or manners??? or.. many things should be taught by parents before school starts---not by teachers in schools, yet more and more is opposite the way it SHOULD be.

oh yes, and i have watched some celebrated and some not celebrated cruisers who happen to have kids do half baked teaching of and educating of their kids over the past few years i have been travelling.
seems the smartest kids have physical exertion as opposed to motorized perversion as their therapy .....

but , then, parents have gotten very lazy about teaching their kids anything.
Old 29-07-2011, 12:06   #279

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

To operate a motor vessel (sailboat under power also) in New Jersey at any age...you have to be able to show some sort of boating safety training...even if just passing through.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 12:53   #280

OK this is my very first post on this forum (or any for that matter) and this seemed like the best thread (right term?) to put this question on. My wife and I recently discovered we shared a long lost dream of living on a boat after we retire. we have 20 years to work out the details. One of the obvious decisions we have to make is sail or power. (here comes the part of being relevant to this thread) Is it possible to make this decision without knowing how to sail? I have been on sailboats and enjoyed it but its hard tell the work involved while holding a dirty martini. So should we "take up sailing" to see if we like it? If so im thinking i like the taking the class idea before just jumping into a boat and giving her a try......thoughts? PS as this is my very first post if i have put this in the wrong place please school me.
cullenandpaula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 13:08   #281

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cullenandpaula View Post
OK this is my very first post on this forum (or any for that matter) and this seemed like the best thread (right term?) to put this question on. My wife and I recently discovered we shared a long lost dream of living on a boat after we retire. we have 20 years to work out the details. One of the obvious decisions we have to make is sail or power. (here comes the part of being relevant to this thread) Is it possible to make this decision without knowing how to sail? I have been on sailboats and enjoyed it but its hard tell the work involved while holding a dirty martini. So should we "take up sailing" to see if we like it? If so im thinking i like the taking the class idea before just jumping into a boat and giving her a try......thoughts? PS as this is my very first post if i have put this in the wrong place please school me.
Living on a boat is one thing....day sailing is different than cruising sailing and cruising whether power or sail is similar...yet completely different than just living aboard....day boating is just that.

What exactly are you thinking of?

I've lived aboard 3 times for a total of around 10 years...3 on sail, 7 on power. Cruised both. Day sailed/motored several different types of vessels....

Living aboard is great but if you don't plan to cruise extensively....it changes your options....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 13:18   #282

I think we are thinking (not to sound ignorant) about cruising. At this point our plans dont include much ocean travel....we were thinking more like the great loop but just really taking our time....stopping here stopping there. In other words...living on the boat but not parked at a dock somewhere. <-----does that make any sense or are we in cloud 9?
cullenandpaula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 13:26   #283

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cullenandpaula View Post
I think we are thinking (not to sound ignorant) about cruising. At this point our plans dont include much ocean travel....we were thinking more like the great loop but just really taking our time....stopping here stopping there. In other words...living on the boat but not parked at a dock somewhere. <-----does that make any sense or are we in cloud 9?

You are right where you are supposed to be......

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 14:16   #284

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtheteacher

I apologize if I offended. I do not, however, retract my opinion. Obviously, some concession is necessary for those with experience. A fear of more gub'mental control doesn't apply, in my opinion, when talking about the safety and security of everyone around. It would apply when considering regulating the annual travel habits of the average citizen.

I do not, as I said before, like the idea of some youngster with no experience hopping in an expensive vessel with enough bells and whistles to allow them to drive with one finger, much like their SUV, and just tooling out into a waterway with no understanding that they should slow down and turn to their starboard (in certain situations), or even what starboard is.

Seriously, would you want the highways to be full of people with no licenses and big vehicles? Yes, you likely have experience in your vehicle on the highway as well. However, that is not always the case and I don't think it at all excessive to require at least a minimum understanding of what the flow of traffic should be, what Stop means, what a four-way stop is (besides the most ridiculous waste of time N.A. creation). Exactly the same way the waterways 'should' be.

Just because the gub'ment is invoked for something doesn't mean that it will automatically turn into a 'big brother is watching' situation.

I profess to be an expert at nothing. I do choose to learn, though, and I realize that is not always the interest for everyone.

John
Just what we need, more government. After what we've seen this week I wouldn't mind if someone put a match to Washington and burned the whole damned thing it to the ground. Those who can, do. Those who can't teach & those who are worthless & can't do anything run for office!
boatgearguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 14:19   #285

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtheteacher View Post

John

Wow man u should be in an RV rather than a boat...New hampshire has a motto Live Free or Die....One of our last spaces of freedom is on the water

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote