Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2012, 10:55   #31
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: "What make the perfect boat woman...perfect"

I find it strange that , people who would trade a relationship for a sail, should then complain that they went through 3 failed relationships. If you value you companion, you'll find a solution , otherwise you,ll have to keep seeking companions. Good luck with that .

Dave
Old 15-11-2012, 11:08   #32

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
When Wonderblond and I got hitched, the whole point was to share each other's adventures for a lifetime. We've logged thousands of scuba dives together, and at least a thousand days sailing. We lived together on a boat for more than a decade. Part of that adventure has been to support each other in our careers. I worked while she attended grad school, and then she worked while I did.

We haven't done everything together: she passed when it came to sailboat racing; I gave up rock climbing long before she did. Even after 35 years of marriage, she can't get me to join her jogging, and I can't get her to sit still for more than an hour of birding at any given time.

Part of the reason we love sailing together is that we work it as a team. There's absolutely no captain/1st mate relationship. If either one of us wants to reef, we reef. Much of the time we let the autopilot do the work and both end up reading. A great life. If the sails need trimming, sooner or later one of us will get around to it.

In my experience, a lot of the fellows who complain about being unable to recruit sailing partners aren't really looking for partners. They're looking for crew. I understand why women fail to get excited about such a prospect. There's nothing exciting about perpetual subservience.
Great post and I find it very encouraging when you say "There's absolutely no captain/1st mate relationship". That in itself spells trust in one another. I know my friend has a sizable learning curve in front of her and I am encouraged by all the questions she asks. I'm confident, in time, all the new knowledge on both our parts will translate into a comfortable routine on the boat and spill over into life in general.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 11:21   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
.................Part of the reason we love sailing together is that we work it as a team. There's absolutely no captain/1st mate relationship. If either one of us wants to reef, we reef. Much of the time we let the autopilot do the work and both end up reading. A great life. If the sails need trimming, sooner or later one of us will get around to it..............................
This sounds much like what's happening on our deck; however, we do find that there are times that require an immediate decisive action. Nancie and I long ago determined that the "captain" is the one who is at the helm with their hands on the wheel.
Old 15-11-2012, 14:12   #34
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
If either one of us wants to reef, we reef. Much of the time we let the autopilot do the work and both end up reading. A great life. If the sails need trimming, sooner or later one of us will get around to it.

My wife and I sail the same basic way! Maybe it is a common thing for "H" boat sailors!
Old 15-11-2012, 15:00   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
My wife and I sail the same basic way! Maybe it is a common thing for "H" boat sailors!
I think that is a good idea, and a prudent way to sail. It makes everyone feel like their input is valid and taken seriously.

We too will sail this way, when we get there.

From another person to be in the "H" crowd.

James L
Old 15-11-2012, 16:47   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

"H"?...........please don't say this is code for Hunters. If so, I'm an "M",- and not Morris or Mercer! ........and I thought I was so much with you guys. You don't plan to be exclusive, right? Halberg Rassey?
Old 15-11-2012, 16:57   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
"H"?...........please don't say this is code for Hunters. If so, I'm an "M",- and not Morris or Mercer! ........and I thought I was so much with you guys. You don't plan to be exclusive, right? Halberg Rassey?
Hey!!!...I'm an HR. Hope I'm not seen as exclusive!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 15-11-2012, 17:03   #38
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:

we'll just say that Charlie's great great great uncle was Henry Morgan, this way you can make a claim to an "H"
Old 15-11-2012, 17:11   #39
Armchair Bucketeer

I think the answer is something to do with buckets.......
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 17:11   #40

Quote:
Part of the reason we love sailing together is that we work it as a team. There's absolutely no captain/1st mate relationship. If either one of us wants to reef, we reef. Much of the time we let the autopilot do the work and both end up reading. A great life. If the sails need trimming, sooner or later one of us will get around to it.

In my experience, a lot of the fellows who complain about being unable to recruit sailing partners aren't really looking for partners. They're looking for crew. I understand why women fail to get excited about such a prospect. There's nothing exciting about perpetual subservience.
This sounds like us, too. We'd already been together about 15 years when we discovered sailing. Before that, we'd been skiiers, backpackers, canoers, so shared a common love of playing outdoors, and willing to be a tad uncomfortable in search of new adventures. We learned to sail together, learned the same way from the same teacher. That's not to say that we haven't evolved different areas of expertise; he's the better sail trimmer, I'm the better navigator, for example. We avoid any conflict by agreeing to this S.O.P. beforehand: whoever has the more conservative approach, "wins." If one wants to reef and the other doesn't - we reef. If one wants to try a local knowledge shortcut and the other wants to honor all the buoys - we go the long way 'round. Etc.

Must be okay, we've been liveaboard for 10 years and counting.
Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper Life Afloat is having some formatting glitches, till then I'm posting at Life Afloat Archives and Life Afloat on Facebook! And a new project, The Monkey's Fist: Collecting Cruisers' Perspectives
wingNwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 17:12   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Hey!!!...I'm an HR. Hope I'm not seen as exclusive!
I love the Halberg Rassey and that's why they would hold the esteemed position as exclusive to me!
.............and thanks, Don Lucas, I'll claim the "Henry"!
Old 15-11-2012, 17:48   #42

Quote:
I love the Halberg Rassey and that's why they would hold the esteemed position as exclusive to me!
.............and thanks, Don Lucas, I'll claim the "Henry"!
My HR is one of the older ones. Somewhat plain-Jane compared to their luxurious recent models. But in their day were considered quite nice. My lady is quite attached to it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080531.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	49768  
Old 15-11-2012, 18:38   #43

Boat: Franz Maas 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
This is yet another silly thread...
Yet, you posted the longest response...
Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 18:48   #44

Quote:

I thought we were going for "have boat will travel"...........

Sorry.....I never did fit in.

James L
Old 15-11-2012, 19:33   #45

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by propellanttech View Post
I thought we were going for "have boat will travel"...........

Sorry.....I never did fit in.

James L
Thanks for the Blast from the Past !
One of my favorite TV shows.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote