Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2014, 16:22   #16

Re: What is it and when to quit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
[When a blow brings fear instead of adrenalin..
So, a cat 1 hurrycane doesn't bother me but a cat 2 does I should quit sailing completely?
OR should I pay more attention to the weather? LOL!
Miniyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 16:27   #17

The real question should be....

When the heck are YOU gonna go out and do it????

How can you ask such a question as to when you should quit, IF YOU have never done it?

There has to be a grasshopper/master quote for this somewhere!
Miniyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 16:48   #18

Boat: Kirié Feeling 446

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miniyot View Post
The real question should be....

When the heck are YOU gonna go out and do it????

How can you ask such a question as to when you should quit, IF YOU have never done it?

There has to be a grasshopper/master quote for this somewhere!
??????????????????????????????????????????????????

What do you mean by this?
I have been sailing the ocean and living aboard since 1995. I have been sailing since 1959, mostly racing olympic dinghies until 1995. I have no idea what you are talking about?

Michel
SaltyTanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 17:24   #19
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What is it and when to quit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miniyot View Post
So, a cat 1 hurrycane doesn't bother me but a cat 2 does I should quit sailing completely?
OR should I pay more attention to the weather? LOL!
Not everyone plays close to home mate..
I assumed that this was a question for each individual person as to what and when they would call it a day and walk away.. but.. as you wish to play I will clarify..
I was in Andratx, Mallorca back in the 90's.. there were a row of us cruisers tied Med style to the quay.. quite a few boats were untended and when blows came through I would cover 4 boats either side off me.. if even one broke its lines.. chances were good it would start a domino effect as it snagged stern anchors on its way to the other side of the harbour.. so looking after them.. was looking after me..
Two boats down was a single hander who would not be seen once a gale came.. often as I trotted back and forth over the decks I'd see him through the forehatch huddled in the fore peak shaking and sobbing.. figured his crossing (claimed he'd solo'd from Brazil) had been a really bad one and had cracked his nerve..
In 4mths there the only times he'd be seen were when the wind was light.. once the spray started coming over the wall he was gone..
If I get to the stage where fear incapacitates and makes me a danger to others and myself.. yes.. I'll walk away..
If I can't do it all.. I'd rather not do it at all.. there's other things in life

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 17:53   #20
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Geez Boaty, I don't remember me cry in' when you came over to see me that time. I just got finished watchin' WEST SIDE STORY on my DVD player and been peeling' unions.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 17:58   #21

Boat: Kirié Feeling 446

Boatman61,

Yes you were absolutely right, it was a candid question and your first reply was... well right on the mark. You are absolutely right, when the charm wears out and fear sets in, it's time to call it quits.

My previous post was in reply to something I could not understand. Minyot was saying "go out and do it" as if I had not really been sailing?

Of course you are right and it is a sailors duty to help, the law of the sea it is called, I believe. The fellow who sailed from Brasil was lucky to have made it.

But fear was not what I was thinking of. When is it logical and intelligent to stop? I am 75 and asking myself until when can I live like this? Should I start to plan selling the boat? It would be like dying a little, more than a little, should I do this. I am not fearless. Not trying to prove something. Just want to live this life to the brim like I have been doing for the past 19 years.

Is this foolish? Probably to a landlubber. To one who follows the tribe and the bumper in front to work back to work every Monday.

Boatman I just know you are not like this, you are a nomad, not a bumper follower. And your answer was the one that clinched my decision. When dolphins don't thrill me any more... When a burst of wind is no longer a ways of moving in front of whoever is catching up.
SaltyTanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 18:10   #22
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What is it and when to quit?

Just keep on sailing mate.. new faces.. new places.. keeps one young..
I know folk older than you who still solo... but then I'm still a whippersnapper...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote