Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2012, 04:33   #361
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
I know what happens to some wannabees. They buy a boat and park it next to the other boats at the marina and start a garden growing on the hull.

This is my second year of monohull ownership, and I have never seen so many awesome boats that never leave their slips. We're talking Contessa 32, Vega 27, Pacific Seacraft 37, Cape Dory 30/31, several CSY's, and many others I can't name...........
they make great lovenests to take the secutary to during lunch
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 18:54   #362

Boat: 38' Hughes S&S design
I am a wannabe too,

I joined the C.F forum over a year ago, bought a boat with no idea what we were really looking at, got it transported home and have been learning the ropes in every aspect since. We are in no hurry to circumnavigate the world tomorrow but just venturing further afield step by step.

Best thing i have done is joined the local yacht club (were i berth my boat). I have met a bunch of great people and made some good friends in the process. There is a cruising group at the club and regularly have social functions were club members and guest present a topic relative to cruising. Lots of advice about sailing, equipment, repairs etc. I also started racing to get experience on other boats and look like getting my boat out this summer club races.

We are also taking our boat in a cruise in company Bass Strait cruise early next year.

Although i originally posted on CF the typical "I'm new to sailing" post. We are still here and taking things step by step. We are really enjoying our sailing and can see a long term passion really growing.

I probably dont contribute extensivley on C.F as I need to spend the time actually sailing and working on the list of repairs, mods and upgrades but have certainly got a lot of info from C.F from the experienced people on here.

I dont know where we will end up cruising to in the future but isnt that the point. Its all about what each individual considers their own destination and distance at their point in their lives. Is a cruiser someone who travels the world or just the inlets and bays of their home country? I think it is all types that make up any group.

I hope we do go further afield in the future and who knows we may bump into you at a pub near you. Ill buy the first round.

Scott
scubascooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 19:33   #363
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubascooter View Post
I am a wannabe too,

I joined the C.F forum over a year ago, bought a boat with no idea what we were really looking at, got it transported home and have been learning the ropes in every aspect since. We are in no hurry to circumnavigate the world tomorrow but just venturing further afield step by step.

Best thing i have done is joined the local yacht club (were i berth my boat). I have met a bunch of great people and made some good friends in the process. There is a cruising group at the club and regularly have social functions were club members and guest present a topic relative to cruising. Lots of advice about sailing, equipment, repairs etc. I also started racing to get experience on other boats and look like getting my boat out this summer club races.

We are also taking our boat in a cruise in company Bass Strait cruise early next year.

Although i originally posted on CF the typical "I'm new to sailing" post. We are still here and taking things step by step. We are really enjoying our sailing and can see a long term passion really growing.

I probably dont contribute extensivley on C.F as I need to spend the time actually sailing and working on the list of repairs, mods and upgrades but have certainly got a lot of info from C.F from the experienced people on here.

I dont know where we will end up cruising to in the future but isnt that the point. Its all about what each individual considers their own destination and distance at their point in their lives. Is a cruiser someone who travels the world or just the inlets and bays of their home country? I think it is all types that make up any group.

I hope we do go further afield in the future and who knows we may bump into you at a pub near you. Ill buy the first round.

Scott
thanks for posting

i hope you do get out there cruising,just in your back yard is one of the best unspoiled cruising grounds in the world!

mines a guinness or rum whatever is easie
cheers atollr
Old 06-10-2012, 19:48   #364
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

better add this one for posterities sake!
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rld-35163.html
Old 06-10-2012, 20:46   #365

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
I am a wannabe too,

Scott
Hi Scott, where do you keep your boat, I am at Yaringa,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 21:03   #366

Mr B,

I was referring to Atoll about shouting a drink! But it would be good to catch up will another C.Fer.

I will pm you.

Scott
Old 07-10-2012, 02:58   #367
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Although i originally posted on CF the typical "I'm new to sailing" post. We are still here and taking things step by step.
Just out of interest, how did you find the welcome / initial comments on any plans (dreams?!) you shared?
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:09   #368

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey

Just out of interest, how did you find the welcome / initial comments on any plans (dreams?!) you shared?
DOJ,

All positive, but i didn't claim that I was going to circumnavigate the world the day after i bought a boat with no experience and then ask what boat I should buy.

In general I think that C.F is postive towards newbies.

Scott
Old 07-10-2012, 03:18   #369
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
All positive, but i didn't claim that I was going to circumnavigate the world the day after i bought a boat with no experience and then ask what boat I should buy.
Yeah, that usually does it . (actually I quite the enjoy the odd(?!) one - as often enough throws up good comments, despite the OP ).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:34   #370

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35'

Ok, I’ll bite.

In just eight short weeks, my employer will give birth to a brand new retiree. After having been employed almost continuously for the past 50 years – my first job was pumping gas and washing cars at my dad’s service station for the then munificent salary of $5 a day – I am looking forward to my next career as an intemperate slacker and permanent drain on society. It only makes sense to do that on a sailboat.

I began preparing five years ago by reading everything I could find about the life aquatic, followed by a series of US Sailing classes through bareboat chartering. I day sailed regularly on a buddy’s 28-foot Edel catamaran appropriately dubbed the S/V Raggedy Ass and chartered in the Grenadines before finally learning enough to offer myself up as delivery crew.

A few coastal trips later I found myself on a Swan 57 rocketing north from Sint Maartin to Long Island Sound on a beam reach in 25-knot winds. If I wasn’t hooked before, that definitely did it. I started crewing for whoever would have me. I went up the mast, below the waterline and into tight little crawly spaces previously occupied only by geckos. I became a boat slut. I had no shame.

Next spring I’ll spend some time in Gibraltar attempting to gain sufficient proficiency to come away with an RYA offshore yachtmaster certificate. Then, when I have enough knowledge and experience to be something less than a complete danger to myself and others, I think I’ll buy a boat.
Capetinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:41   #371
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capetinho View Post
Ok, I’ll bite.

In just eight short weeks, my employer will give birth to a brand new retiree. After having been employed almost continuously for the past 50 years – my first job was pumping gas and washing cars at my dad’s service station for the then munificent salary of $5 a day – I am looking forward to my next career as an intemperate slacker and permanent drain on society. It only makes sense to do that on a sailboat.

I began preparing five years ago by reading everything I could find about the life aquatic, followed by a series of US Sailing classes through bareboat chartering. I day sailed regularly on a buddy’s 28-foot Edel catamaran appropriately dubbed the S/V Raggedy Ass and chartered in the Grenadines before finally learning enough to offer myself up as delivery crew.

A few coastal trips later I found myself on a Swan 57 rocketing north from Sint Maartin to Long Island Sound on a beam reach in 25-knot winds. If I wasn’t hooked before, that definitely did it. I started crewing for whoever would have me. I went up the mast, below the waterline and into tight little crawly spaces previously occupied only by geckos. I became a boat slut. I had no shame.

Next spring I’ll spend some time in Gibraltar attempting to gain sufficient proficiency to come away with an RYA offshore yachtmaster certificate. Then, when I have enough knowledge and experience to be something less than a complete danger to myself and others, I think I’ll buy a boat.
way to go....i must say it is nice having someone else pay all the bills for you to go sailing......very sluttish,the freedom to be a slob on your own boat also is appealing
Old 07-10-2012, 05:48   #372

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capetinho View Post

Indeed. I'll be looking forward to future posts. Meanwhile I've borrowed a phrase.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:52   #373

Boat: Union Polaris 36

Quote:
I am looking forward to my next career as an intemperate slacker and permanent drain on society. It only makes sense to do that on a sailboat.
FYI the proverbial societal bathtub is emptying quickly, leave soon before you have to go back to work.

Life's a dream, live it!
youmeandthed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:59   #374

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Maybe we should change the name from CruisersForum to Boatsluts.com.

Love it!
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:04   #375

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35'
Cool Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Indeed. I'll be looking forward to future posts. Meanwhile I've borrowed a phrase.
LOL! Rum always accepted in lieu of cash royalties.
Capetinho is offline   Reply With Quote