Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2015, 13:04   #46
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: What Happens to all the Hasbeens?

I would bet most Hasbeens move on to something else and stop posting on boater forums and instead post of the "something else" forums.

Now that I think of it, it probably is a good time to start reading those "something else" forums while still a Wannabe as just good planning. It would seems to always being a Wannabe in something is good motivation.
Old 08-04-2015, 14:31   #47

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Good thread;

In the end the marina, anchorage and cruising fraternity; wannabes, fixer-uppers, liveaboards, cruisers, skippers. - we all have a story to tell that is different from the statistical-average we couldabeen.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 14:31   #48

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I would bet most Hasbeens move on to something else and stop posting on boater forums and instead post of the "something else" forums.
Burning Man has felt like a family reunion of old sailing friends. I see more of them there than anywhere else in the country.

Though we don't like it enough to go at the current ticket prices.
Old 08-04-2015, 18:50   #49
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
I cruised OPB right after college and then planned on cruising my own boat. 20 years later I have the boat but the wife is turned into an ex and the kids are not interested. But we sailed the boat from Canada to La Paz and back to SF. When I finished the Bash I had to rush back to land based life and I had a real bad attitude. A friend finally pointed it out -- I had fallen into the lifestyle. I had to some how get out of it. It took a concerted effort. The last four summers I cruised the Med and I am much better prepared for re entry just by having an attitude change. I still don't like it but I don't take it out on my friends and family.
Hi Charlie. Nice to see a post from an old friend. If you keep TIJ and want some company, there are three Texans that would love to cruise the Med, if you want some company. Also, if you'd like to cruise the Exumas, you're welcome to come sail with us later this year.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 13:10   #50

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
We almost lost another member (Anchorage Guy) recently - The Trawler Beach House: The Ultimate Tribulation

We're so happy you made it, Chuck....if you happen to read this.

Ralph

Thanks Ralph. I really appreciate it and can't tell you how good it is to be here today. We won't let this do more than slow us down for a short period, then we're back on the water. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 16:57   #51
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorageGuy View Post
Thanks Ralph. I really appreciate it and can't tell you how good it is to be here today. We won't let this do more than slow us down for a short period, then we're back on the water. Chuck
I'm so happy to hear that, Chuck. We'll see ya out there.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 10:02   #52

Boat: Pearson 34-II

For some who have traveled extensively and are aging physically, they are no longer willing to exert the effort needed to be a full time liveaboard if they are not living in a marina. Some, can no longer afford the cost/maintenance of owning a boat when they have to pay others to do their work rather than doing it themselves. For others, it was a goal and once achieved move on to something else. But for most who have sailed many years, I believe, as they age they no longer have the physical ability and stamina needed to safely sail in all weather conditions and finally accept this as part of life. This is why it is so important to go early/go young with the best boat you can buy for cash . . . you may never have the opportunity again! No one holds the book of life. Good luck and good sailing.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:12   #53

Boat: 45' Plywood Ketch, Homebuilt

Reference: New Zealand

Spent a total of two and a half years in and around Auckland. Weather was fine. Had favorite anchorages in the Bay of Islands. Regret not accepting option for residency visa. Definitely plan on going back.
SVJennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 15:47   #54

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorageGuy View Post
Yes, sometimes we're lucky: the medical emergency occurs somewhere aid is readily available.

The thing is, I think, that very few, if any, really "get it" that death can be just a moment, a disease, an accident away, all day, every day, and we never know till it strikes. If you deeply acknowledge that, your choices are likely to change.

FWIW, for me, I didn't "get it", the first time. It took a number of incidents, and the realization came from within, not from being told. And the message is out there, in many forms, it's a really important one.

It is good to "be here today," and to be on the water. Good on ya, Anchorage guy, and the docs, and your good lady!

Ann
Old 11-04-2015, 16:24   #55

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Thanks Ann. Susan and I decided early on that we would cash everything in and go cruising while we were young and healthy. For the last 25 years we have lived the dream and never regretted one moment. After coming face to face with my mortality, it reminds me every day, that getting older is far from a good reason to give up on that dream. To the contrary, it reminds me that there are still a lot of things I want to do and see. Since March 1st, I get up every morning looking at a brand new day and wondering what new experience I will have today. I'm reminded to live every day like it's your last, because it might be. It doesn't make me want to give up or change our lifestyle. It makes me want to get stronger and better so we can continue. Maybe someday we'll want to get off the water, but not any day soon. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote