Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2020, 20:40   #1

What do you think of this boat?

I'm getting laid off due to the virus and subsequent economic downturn (I work in the travel industry). So I'm trying to use this opportunity to buy a sailboat and head out for a few years. I've sailed when younger and have chartered numerous times in the last few years. I was always planning a "sailing sabbatical" at some point and now the time has come, so I'm boat shopping. The plan is to do mostly coastal cruising with the occasional passage. Total all in budget about 75k and I'm willing to due plenty of work, but not looking to bring back a boat from the dead or anything. Anyway, I'm currently in SoCal and found this boat, but I can't find much on these at all. It seems to have a posh layout, so I wonder about it's sailing abilities. Any opinions would we welcome. Thanks!

Its a Lancer 45 Sloop

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...sloop-3645625/
Aeronut2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 08:08   #2

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40
Re: What do you think of this boat?

Look nice down below however I suspect it has mainly used as a condo / accomodation. 25 hours use of the engine means its hardly left the dock. Apart from the engine looks like very little work has been done on the sailing equipment. I see alot of equipment is listed as “inop” such as the autopilot. Plus I cannot see any power generation equipment listed, dinghy, new electronics, etc. Suggest you organise a good independent surveyor (ie do not you the broker’s recommendation) and get him to inspect and list the status of all the equipment, particularly things missing. I think you will need to budget $20-$40k to get it up to sailing status.

On sailing ability, its listed elsewhere as a motorsailor, which suggests sailing may not be a strong point. The underwater hull shape does not look too bad, however it becomes very wide fairly quickly, I assume to maximise accomodation, which would suggest not great pointing ability.

Good luck!

Ilenart
ilenart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 08:25   #3

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40

I would search for “Lancer” on this website, few old threads. Doesn’t sound like they have a particularly good reputation. Ideally you would want a marine surveyor familiar with Lancer yachts and get him to do an out of water survey. Focus particularly on structure, ie hull integrity / delamination, osmosis, hull / deck joint, bulkhead tabbing, standing rigging, running rigging, mast, keel / hull joint.

If there is a problem with any of the above add $15-40k to the budget mentioned above. Yes that means the repair / upgrade budget is 100% of the purchase price. My last boat was exactly that. Plus the selling price after 10 years was 50% of the original purchase price. Welcome to the pleasures of sailing!

One example of threads, there are a few others.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ler-15543.html

Ilenart
ilenart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 08:26   #4

That's about what I gathered too. It was mostly a question about Lancer sailboats and the build quality. I'm having a hard time finding a comfortable boat that is also "well built". Thanks for taking the time to look!
-Chris
Old 06-06-2020, 08:31   #5

Boat: Nonsuch 30

If you are on a limited budget, and you are, a 45 footer will not be a good thing. I would be more inclined to look for something in the 35-37 foot range.
Old 06-06-2020, 08:34   #6

I saw that thread, I think that was about the only one. Do you think this would be classified as a "Motor Sailer". an 89hp engine with 24000 lbs displacement seems high, but I'm pretty new to this. I definitely plan to find a good surveyor when the time comes. Thanks again.
Old 06-06-2020, 08:42   #7

I am assuming 75k all in for the boat and then less than $3k per month as a cruising budget. Obviously I'll be spending plenty of time at anchor and doing things the cheaper route.
Old 06-06-2020, 08:52   #8

That's a lot of boat and a good Perkins engine. (in general!) Never was impressed much with Lancer's though. Seemed like the cheapest of cheap in production boats. I didn't know they made Lancer's that big. Do you need a boat that big?
My guess is the weight is way under estimated, but light built boats so... maybe not.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 09:12   #9

Boat: Santana 37

It's a buyers market in So Cal right now. There are a lot of boats for under $75k that you wouldn't have to replace most equipment on. Check out LA, OC and San Diego craigslist for some examples.

Also, if you give me some parameters about what you are looking for, I can check the brokers listing in our marina (I love researching boats).
sailscubasurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 09:13   #10

Boat: Buchan 37

I like your idea for a change due to getting laid off, and you are right to seek input about the possible purchase. However, I'm sure you know that buying anything in a hurry on a budget puts you at risk of buying the wrong thing and overpaying for it. I nearly bought the wrong thing a couple of times when I was looking, then decided to take my time. The right boat practically fell into my lap after two years of research and looking. By waiting for the right opportunity, I was able to find one for a small fraction of what I had been prepared to pay. Being in the right place at the right time requires a lot of patience and work though and you sound like you may not be able to wait. Just some food for thought. I hope you find what you are looking for.
SieveSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 09:39   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Another one for why do you want a floating condo?? This is a much better boat, better size for a single or couple, and way more affordable. https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/...136390355.html
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 10:05   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Alerion Express 38 Yawl (former)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Another one for why do you want a floating condo?? This is a much better boat, better size for a single or couple, and way more affordable. https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/...136390355.html
Totally agree.

Lancers were popular in the 80s as offering lots of value and volume. As I recall, they mostly offered shallow draft boats where you'd imagine the engine would come in very handy to go upwind and in light airs. Some had broad keels (again from memory) so that you could get standing headroom in a smaller boat by standing in the keel stubby. Small sailplans, too?

If you wanted to think of your sailboat more in terms of a trawler with a mast, then this might be a good boat for you. As I get older, I begin to think that a 45' sailboat turned into a powerboat might not be a bad compromise. But you'd have to decide to forsake sailing and embrace powering (and condo living).

Chuck
Chuck Hawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 10:52   #13

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
That Bristol looks like a sweet deal. Much better quality build than a Lancer and a more manageable size.

Lancers were cheap builds. I remember them marketing the 45 as a motor sailor and had an advertisement with it towing a skier. I sat next to the owner of Lancer on a flight to Chicago - he was going to the boat show where they were exhibiting the 28. All he could talk about was easy financing. The boat had a step down in the middle of the floor so they could advertise six foot headroom. Very dangerous. Boat just looked cheap.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 10:55   #14

Boat: Lancer 44' motorsailer

I have a 1981 Lancer 44 motorsailer, and I LOVE 'er! She's suited my needs and desires for the past nearly 5 years, and I plan on many more together.

There's a lot of salty dogs on this forum that like hating on Lancers in general, but I'm thoroughly enjoying mine. I think it's very well made.

Made in Irvine CA, hand laid roving fb hull that's solid and multilayer, and nearly inch think Marine plywood bulkheads. She's a beast, solid and sturdy. And thoughtfully finished inside. Gorgeous details. Exactly what I want.

I lived aboard for a couple of years until my job took me inland, and still have her in Oakland, where I visit monthly. Mine was advertised for $50k, got it for $28k (survey issues are key to deducting/negotiating sale price) and have probably put in another $30k in rehab (some myself, leaving systems to the experts); bottom paint, water lines, electrical, fuel lines and engine, running rigging, etc. I expect another $15-20k to replace standing rigging and step mast (compression on deck). Everyone who's been aboard remarks on her "good bones" and comfort and style.

Bought her in San Diego and brought up to SF in 4 days, she proved herself the entire trip; under power, not under sail. And In a few years, my plan is to head to the Caribbean. I think she's suited well for the plans.

So spacious, easy to move about, twin Perkins 75 hp for power, which is fine, as max hull speed is about 8.5 kts. Never planned on racing her, more for bay and coastal. I've been able to clock 5 kts sog with main and fore deployed and engines off, running a broad reach in SF Bay in 15-20 kts in the slot. Less kts close-hauled, but again, the trade off of comfort vs performance is fine by me.

And comfortable!! I'm 6 ft tall and nowhere on board do I have to duck. Only 4 stairsteps in the entire length! Queen bed up front, no v-berth! Tons of storage in the walls and throughout.

I have the "trawler with sails" motorsailer style, with the large windows in salon, not bunker basement design like most sailing vessels. With the bay area winds, I have a lot of freeboard and challenging conditions when docking in the typical cross-winds of summer, but oh well.

Good to solicit all opinions, then make your own. Best of luck to you. While I have a different model than the one in question, I'd say as a company Lancer produced a good for me, but like anything used, it's also how it's been treated since. Mine had been neglected for nearly 10 years, but has come back to life like a gem, a testament to the core quality and building craftsmanship.
skwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 10:56   #15

Boat: a sailing boat

I think this boat looks like a perfect inshore barge. I would use it on the ICW or in the Marshes as long as her mast is not too tall!

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/lancer-45

Her volume looks huge and her built looks light.

The asking of near 70k, by my standards, looks way overpriced. However, it may be reasonable given condo / van / mobile homes availability in this area. You need to understand you compete with people who will simply use such a boat as a floating bungalow.

If you budget is 70k and the asking is 70 then simply skip and get something within your budget.

I would only spend less than 30% of my free float on any boat upright, if my intention were to sail / cruise and get myself some life. And I would not like to handle a 45' if I were to do it alone.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat