Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 06:08   #46

Boat: Morgan 416
Re: What are your Voyaging Hopes, Plans, Dreams or Vague Intentions for some day!

We're 7 weeks from moving aboard for the first time! We'll spend the summer in the Chesapeake learning the boat and hopefully finding all the warts! Then the first trip to either the Bahamas or the Leewards in the Fall. Our plan is so tight that we won't make that decision until we make it!! We really have no desire to go RTW or even across the pond. Our goal is to stay warm, stay safe, and snorkel most days!!
PapaBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:32   #47

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'
Re: What are your Voyaging Hopes, Plans, Dreams or Vague Intentions for some day!

Inside passage all the way to Glacier Bay.

Maybe a trip down the Washington coast and up the Columbia/Snake rivers to Idaho.

I think the big "voyage" for me is the building of this boat. It has been going on now for 36 years (off and on) and I am guessing the projects will continue for another 30.

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:42   #48

Boat: 1962 28' Pearson Triton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap10 View Post
...and hopefully to Brazil for the World Cup!!
I was thinking the same thing! I'm an avid football (what most Americans call "soccer") fan, especially international football. I'm aiming to be down there for the World Cup as well.
1962 Pearson Triton, #318
Triton318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:54   #49

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
I just want to goof off mostly with sails between places of interest. Want to see the sights that most people only see in the magazines along the way and plan to chose routes as needed to accomplish this. Don't really plan to circumnavigate, but if that works out based on how long I can keep going I will.

I plan to not have a plan beyond the stop!

PS - I don't plan to have to be cold anymore!
I'm with don.

I hope to never have to wear a coat again. Shorts and t-shirts. A thin sweater is ok. If I want to see snow, I'll buy a picture and hang it on the bulkhead

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:27   #50

Boat: Catalina 30

Plan small 3 week trips for the next 9 years or so. Bahama, Keys, Gulf, East Coast.
Sell the 27 in 9 and buy a 36 to 48 retire in 11, Sail summers in Carrib and on the East Coast for about 6 years then start full time in about 18 years, Europe, Asia, South Pacific, South America.

Already have the house paid off, cars paid off, rental properties ect.
Just gotta build our portfolio more to support the life.

Of course we were planning our first trip to the Keys and DTs this April and have had to just push it back till June if it happens at all this year. Oh well......
Old 04-03-2013, 11:01   #51

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
Move back on the boat on March 22nd, have about a month of small & 2 medium size projects on it to get ready for the year. Mid April burn my socks, all the projects need to be finished by the end of May. 1st. of June leave the marina for a cruise up the river for a few weeks. I also plan not to run out of beer or Dewars. ;-)
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:58   #52

1. Finish sailing classes, paying off debts. (by 2014)
2. Charter locally in the Chesapeake and then some destination vacations (2012-2019)
3. Buy a weekend boat (2020)
4. Get kids off to college and retire (2030)
5. Sell house and weekend boat, buy live aboard boat (2030)
6. Coastal cruise for a couple of seasons (2030-2032)
7. Sail around the world (2032 -?)
Old 04-03-2013, 18:16   #53

Boat: Sancerre 38
My dream for this year is a trip across Lake Huron to the North Channel on the trailer sailer I bought last summer. Being totally new to sailing, I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas. I am having a blast refiting the boat and learning all I can. If the Lord allows I would love to do some of the trips you all do on a larger boat some day. For now though, it is hard to imagine anything so satisfying as my planned lake adventure.
Kenr74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 18:17   #54

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

Move aboard and then try the Atlantic to Germany. Something I promised on my mum's grave in 1978. After that, some where where it doesn't snow.
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 18:35   #55

Boat: Nordic Tug 37

Can't match you real sailors who island-hop the Caribbean, cross oceans etc. But this summer we expect to cruise SE Alaska for the 11th time. Including the BC coast, 16 summers wandering the PNW in our little power cruisers so far.
NewMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 19:11   #56

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

1. Become live aboard, rent home (3-4yrs)

2. sail and cruise new england as cruisers (4-5yrs)

3 sail to england cruise, med area (5-6yr)

Big hopes and dreams, we have the boat we intend to do it on. I am skilled and hope to work enough to keep sailing along the way. I am currently an electronics tech and repair ham radio equipment on side, I also hold automotive ASE certs and am very proficient at arc, mig and tig welding. So I should be able to find work. That is our plan....All this is subject to change,,,wife and i agreed if I lose my job because if this economy we at setting sail and will figure out the rest when we arrived where ever it is we end up!

You can follow us as we get there on our web blog.....
1966 Alberg 300 Jante II hull #150.....preparing to get underway!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal
Cruiser2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 19:15   #57

Boat: Sea Ray 330 Sundancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenr74 View Post
My dream for this year is a trip across Lake Huron to the North Channel on the trailer sailer I bought last summer. Being totally new to sailing, I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas. I am having a blast refiting the boat and learning all I can. If the Lord allows I would love to do some of the trips you all do on a larger boat some day. For now though, it is hard to imagine anything so satisfying as my planned lake adventure.
That sounds great. I too am hoping to do the North Channel, but maybe next year at the earliest and coming from the Lake Michigan side. Still doing sailing classes this year, maybe buy our first boat by the end of the season. I'll be happy with anything that floats, but the admiral insists on a late model cat, so who am I to disagree?

Sail the Great Lakes for a few years in summer with the family, and then...? One day we will get out to the south Pacific. One day....
Enrique100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 19:52   #58

Boat: Hunter 50 CC

We bought some land on a channel leading to a Caribbean coast. Getting ready to build the dock this year, then the house, then move. We'll sail around the Caribbean for months and return to the house until we decide to head out again. Eventually, we'll sail up the East Coast, then cross over and spend a season or two in the Mediterranean before returning to the Caribbean. And I intend to eventually spend a few seasons in the South Pacific, then North and back West to the West Coast, back down through the canal and back home.

We have NO interest in going to the big continent via boat or anywhere near the Indian Ocean, Red Black, or Dead Seas.

I'll post a crew request when we get ready to cross the big waters. The wife will fly ahead and meet us at the nicest spa close to the check-in point.

Lucky Larry
Lucky Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 20:07   #59

Boat: Van de Stadt Victory 40 ketch
Send a message via Yahoo to kismet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Larry View Post
We bought some land on a channel leading to a Caribbean coast. Getting ready to build the dock this year, then the house, then move. We'll sail around the Caribbean for months and return to the house until we decide to head out again. Eventually, we'll sail up the East Coast, then cross over and spend a season or two in the Mediterranean before returning to the Caribbean. And I intend to eventually spend a few seasons in the South Pacific, then North and back West to the West Coast, back down through the canal and back home.

We have NO interest in going to the big continent via boat or anywhere near the Indian Ocean, Red Black, or Dead Seas.

I'll post a crew request when we get ready to cross the big waters. The wife will fly ahead and meet us at the nicest spa close to the check-in point.

Lucky Larry
Lucky you, I hope to scrape against your hull sometime..kidding.
Old 05-03-2013, 18:20   #60

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

We're working on the plan, without setting any dates, only seasons.

Right now, we're working on saving up some money, and I'm trying to figure out a way to work while cruising. In the mean time, I'm fixing up my 22' Nomad as time and money allow.

We don't have any debt, and the house is paid for, so we can possibly rent the house for some cruising money while we're gone.

The trip plan is for my wife and I, and my 2 Cocker Spaniels, to leave East Texas in the fall (we just don't know what year yet). We'll put the boat in the Red River in Shreveport, LA, and take the river to the Mississippi, and to New Orleans.

Then take the ICW to Florida, and spend the cooler months around the Keys, and maybe the Bahamas. My wife has family in Florida, so we'll spend some time visiting, and maybe stay with them around the Holidays.

As the weather warms up, we plan to head up the East Coast on the ICW (with some offshore sails), and work our way up to Maine for some summer cruising.

Then, as the weather cools again, follow the fall colors back down the East Coast to Florida, and work our way back to Shreveport before the summer again.

Then trailer back to Texas.

The trip should take us around 18 months to do it the way we planned.

If we were going on a long, offshore trip, I don't think the 22' Nomad would be big enough, but for the area we plan to travel, we should be good.

Low cost and low maintenance are the way to go for us!

Tags
Dreams, Hopes, Plans, Vague Intentions!