Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 09:01   #1

Boat: Catalina 36
Were we mean?

A nearby town has fireworks on the third, so the water is pretty crowded by the time everyone shows up. We arrived mid afternoon and anchored in a nice open spot and headed for town in the dinghy.

When we got back, several more boats had anchored near us, but the closest was kind of a rough looking sailboat (yellow) on our bow.

As we were discussing dinner, two guys come motoring up in another rough looking sailboat (black). It was eye-catching 1) because the swim ladder was a stepladder tied to the stern, and 2) it was being propelled by a guy in dinghy.

So these two guys head for the almost-too-near sailboat in front of us and proceed to try to raft up. As they are doing this, the yellow boat starts (continues?) dragging anchor and they are slowly headed towards us. The BFs calls of "You're dragging anchor!" are met with "No, it's ok, we've got it under control"

It wasn't until the BF offered to call the cops to help them maneuver (because moving two, tied together sailboats with a dinghy isn't really very efficient) that they decided to move. At this point I'm on the bow with my feet through the railing getting ready to fend them off....and being told it isn't necessary because they wouldn't let the boats touch... He's maybe four feet away.

They take the outboard out of the dinghy, put it in the yellow sailboat, and slllooowly start heading away. Then they turn. And drop anchor. Right next to us.

BF yells at them again and is told it's not a problem. Now there's a police boat passing by and we hail him. As he's talking to BF, the yellow boat pulls up anchor and heads off. Cops pull around to talk to black boat and we can hear him calling us names because WE wouldn't move when their second anchorage turned out to be too close.

So....
Were we mean for not moving? Or for getting the police involved?
Old 05-07-2013, 09:07   #2
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"
Re: Were we mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatInHand View Post
So....
Were we mean for not moving? Or for getting the police involved?
snitches get stitches.
seriously, just blast salsa music, they will move on.
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:13   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
snitches get stitches.
seriously, just blast salsa music, they will move on.
The problem was that they couldn't move. One little outboard just isn't sufficient for two > 30 foot sailboats and two dinghies. Also, based on the bungee cords holding the rigging together, it didn't look sailable either.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:16   #4
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

nah, leave them be. poor people need enjoyment too. keep a good ball fender ready to bounce them off. i yelled at people all night last night, but my yacht horn is not installed yet, or they would listen more.
i thought for sure someone would run over my stern anchor, but alas, not really.
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:20   #5

Boat: PT-11
No, not according to your side of the story.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:24   #6

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

I find fender boards with eight-inch rusty spikes facing outward send the proper message concerning your opinion of their seamanship.

I also enjoy cooking herrings and blood pudding for breakfast. Discourages everyone but the Irish and Brits, who want to visit!
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:24   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
nah, leave them be. poor people need enjoyment too. keep a good ball fender ready to bounce them off. i yelled at people all night last night, but my yacht horn is not installed yet, or they would listen more.
i thought for sure someone would run over my stern anchor, but alas, not really.
Really? You would have been comfortable with two boats with poor ground tackle setting up shop 10 feet from your side? Everyone had swung by the morning, so they would have smacked our bow some time in the night, even if they hadn't shifted position any more.

While the cops were talking to him he continued to slide towards us (sideways, from the pressure of the police boat) and I was considering setting up the foot-fender system again before the police pushed him forward to a safer anchoring spot.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:32   #8

On most any other day I say you did what you had to do. On the 4th for a celebration.. well... you can probably expect that type of thing.... it can be the pits sometimes...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:59   #9

Boat: Colin Archer 36', steel

Back in the 70's we were anchored on family boat for fireworks display in crowded anchorage. A boat anchored not far off of us and after 30 minutes started setting off flares and fireworks which were haphazardly landing wherever wind blew them.
My normally mild mannered, quiet brother got up and told the boat at the top of his lungs to cease and desist before he set one of the numerous nearby boats ablaze with an active flare or fireworks. He did not use such nice terms by the way. But needless to say the boat pulled anchor and left scene.
The fourth brings out all kinds. Luckily your situation ended without harm to you or boat.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:10   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

I don't anchor in Fourth of July crowds or Fleetweek crowds. Too many incompetents nearby who are likely to drift into you, especially when the current turns. Having to cut your ground tackle free gets expensive and they are not going to pick up the cost for replacement.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:29   #11

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I can just imagine how I would have felt. Your rock and hard place are "the rules" whereby you are allowed to protect your "patch" vs. your responsibility for the safety and well being of your vessel, exacerbated by your desire to peacefully observe the fireworks. I'd have been as mad at them as a wet hen in the rain. But you gotta be nice, play nice, patriots together.

Another possible solution is to take your dinghy, correctly lit, and use it to watch the fireworks from, leaving the big boat where it is safe.

Sorry it got ugly. Don't know if I'd have called the cops. But I sure would have felt angry. Where do they get off telling "it's under control?" When the visible evidence is to the contrary? And you doubt whether they're insured? Yuck!

I can sure see why the mod doesn't want to subject himself to it.

Ann
Old 05-07-2013, 11:34   #12

Don't use your feet to fend off. That's why they make fenders. Ever see a broken fender? Beats broken feet.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:36   #13
Armchair Bucketeer

If da Popo were on hand then I would have hailed them - as much to "lend a hand" to the folks concerned. If not I would have moved upwind / stream - or just circled and waited until they passed downstream! (ideally shooting some vid!).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:58   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
If da Popo were on hand then I would have hailed them - as much to "lend a hand" to the folks concerned. If not I would have moved upwind / stream - or just circled and waited until they passed downstream! (ideally shooting some vid!).
Kinda like that game where balls bounce off pegs on their way down a board?

Wasn't worried about the police being mean since it's a pretty laid back area. They gave the guy a pretty hard time seein' as how his registration was out of date, he had no paperwork, and the boat wasn't his (they were close enough for us to hear the whole conversation), but in the end they just shoved him somewhere safer.

We would have sprung for a spot at the marina, but it was completely full by the time we got there, and there really wasn't anywhere else to put the boat. Even called ahead to ask about space but were told 'first come, first served'. Anchoring was the only option as 'twas not our home harbor, and most people were careful. It was too crowded for the powerboats to go fast so not much worry about those guys running over lines. Other than those with no anchoring skills, the biggest danger was probably the inebriated dinghy parades, but they were singing so the kayakers had plenty of warning.

I would have just moved too, but I don't think they could safely raft without dragging, and they would have knocked into the boats downwind of them if they hadn't split up. I don't think they had thought the plan through.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:43   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I don't anchor in Fourth of July crowds or Fleetweek crowds. Too many incompetents nearby who are likely to drift into you, especially when the current turns. Having to cut your ground tackle free gets expensive and they are not going to pick up the cost for replacement.
Yup. Stay away from places where lots of boats anchor together, especially derelict harbor queens like the one the OP was talking about.

I would have packed up anchor and split. Even if you get the guy to correct his situation, you still have an idiot parked in front of you and there's not a lot of ways that will end well.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote