Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2013, 13:05   #31
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: We Have Suffered Enough.

having gotten sick and bludi tired of folks saying that kali has 50-60f winters makes me want to puke on them. sorry,kali has , in san diego, many miles south of santa barbara and the cold north cali temps 38 freezing flying degreees of daytime temp in storming loveliness. how can a kalifornikator say the temp is so wonderful in winter when he absolutely kn0ws better. gimme a sterling silver break, pal. is no such thing as a temperate nice winter in freeking kali. is cold wet and nasty , just like the song says--hate kalifornia is cold and is damp...lol...i know--i left there because it is way too cold for comfort.
so..now i am in pair a dice with 67 degree f nights and 90 f degree days---cannot be beat. i am so sick and tired of beautiful places and wonderful warm temps, i will head into golfo de california to see if it is any better, before going to panama, where it rains so much. (only 100 or m0re inches per month..lol)

there otto be a law........rodlmao.

latitude 17 is perfect.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 13:56   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L
I was feeling bad because my boat is in the water. But WTF it just started snowing at my house!
Ho Ho Ho. Merry Christmas from freeze your @ss off in Syracuse, NY. Boat not in water yet.
Greatketch33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 06:14   #33

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Well...school here closed because of heavy wet snow...about 6 inches this April 15 morning.

Winter Apocalypse

2013 was the year where it started. The snow never stopped for us in the north and it continued through that summer and the next winter and ever since. The ocean is down about 30 feet now. The southward migrations were intense. Many folks were injured and ended up dying trying to get to a warmer place especially the older generation...we are trying to make and adjust to new lives now but it is crowded...
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 06:25   #34

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
having gotten sick and bludi tired of folks saying that kali has 50-60f winters makes me want to puke on them. sorry,kali has , in san diego, many miles south of santa barbara and the cold north cali temps 38 freezing flying degreees of daytime temp in storming loveliness. how can a kalifornikator say the temp is so wonderful in winter when he absolutely kn0ws better. gimme a sterling silver break, pal. is no such thing as a temperate nice winter in freeking kali. is cold wet and nasty , just like the song says--hate kalifornia is cold and is damp...lol...i know--i left there because it is way too cold for comfort.
so..now i am in pair a dice with 67 degree f nights and 90 f degree days---cannot be beat. i am so sick and tired of beautiful places and wonderful warm temps, i will head into golfo de california to see if it is any better, before going to panama, where it rains so much. (only 100 or m0re inches per month..lol)

latitude 17 is perfect.
Yeah... Z is right. California is pretty much like Minnesota. We try to keep it a secret but yes, we have to haul our boats and winterize them against the extreme climate. There is no sailing here between October and May. Most of us spend our time either ice fishing or tending to the sled dogs.
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 08:20   #35

Boat: Beneteau 323
Funny, because after about ten years in Minnesota I drank the Cali koolaid and opened a branch of my business in San Diego.

San Diego beaches seemed to a little reminiscent of Australia's Gold Coast right? WRONG!!! They are pretty to look at but jump in the water outside of August and September without a wetsuit on and you will freeze your balls (or tits) off.

And making your way through the kelp to the break is another lovely experience.

But I must say that although San Diego harbor has limited daysailing opportunities compared to my hometown (Redcliffe/Brisbane/Moreton Bay) there is still pleasant sailing to be had there year round and you can always pick up a nice little Capri 22 from Seaforth at Coronado to go for a sail (avoid Mission Bay and downtown Seaforth locations).
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 17:14   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

went to work at the boat Sunday becaruse Sat was to crappy. Cleared snow from the windshield all the way. No accumulation by later but it was finger-numbing cold all day. I pumped out the bilge, topped the batteries and not much else.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4460.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	416.1 KB
ID:	59276  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 17:38   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

latitude 17 is perfect.
Zee - anybody you know or maybe your sister? Close resemblance. Gee, its cold and boring here.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	zeehag.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	405.7 KB
ID:	59278  
Old 15-04-2013, 18:42   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

Shane,
We used to go to Sogeri to get the slightest hint of cool. Dad even built a weekender on Hombrom Bluff like this one - had a nice view of Rouna - but not the falls.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 20:23   #39

Hey Borocay - wantok! Good days eh? We spent a lot of time up in Sogeri too. Five kids and our local friends crammed in a old van going up that hold'your'breath switchback. Remember Crystal Rapids?

Many sailing trips out to Local Island on a little yellow wooden trimaram. My best friend was Wanigala from in Koki Village. Wanigalas are an old trading/sailing canoe trading tribe and they loved our little tri.

Too many cold winters in Minnesnowta for an old Morseby boy. Time to head south again.
Old 15-04-2013, 21:08   #40

Boat: Carver 3207 Aft Cabin, 32'
Four of us tried to sail to catalina from that little yacht club next to the Queen Mary in Long Beach in early Feb, two months ago. We got about three miles out but the thunder, rain, lightning, numb fingers, and driving horizontal sleet drove us off the water. So much for the cali weather.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 18:09   #41

Yippee. We were supposed to get 8 inches of snow today but we got a bone chilling North Easterly instead!

Beggars can't be choosers. We scraped the bottom and started sanding. Stopped work at 4pm then went out to check out the Superior Entrance. Ouch. We are not going anywhere yet!

Old 18-04-2013, 03:07   #42

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28
6am in key west. 78 degrees. slept on deck in my underwear. enjoying my coffee waiting for the sun to rise.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3528954649.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	391.9 KB
ID:	59440  
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 17:39   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Snow is gone; rains came. The Grand River is at 22 feet. Love this photo looking East at the GR city museum carousel. YUP - had enough.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GR BASS.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	59714  
Old 22-04-2013, 20:35   #44

To add insult to injury, the boat yard got a foot of snow while I was up there last week.

We are expecting another 5-9 inches of snow tonight, but this should be the last of it. 70 by Sunday!

Super rapid thaw so it looks like we are in for some flooding too. I will just be happy to see the last of the hard water.
Old 22-04-2013, 23:49   #45

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:

latitude 17 is perfect.

Glad you're enjoying yourself...for now. I'm a Canuck living in Ca. When I arrived in Santa Cruz on my Harley, I just couldn't figure out why there was nobody in the Ocean. I body-surfed and had a bloody good time. Now,,,I can't get my baby-toe in it. I lived in Hawaii for 7 years. Trust me...the same warm temps everyday can get boring. My cure is to go to and come from, many places. It's nice to mix it up at times.
I have worked in the North West Territories, outside 14 hours a day, where the temps were -40F with the wind-chill factor. I have been to Thailand in April (hottest and muggiest time of the year) that was 105F AND 75% humidity.
To say one is better than the other is naive as I see it.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote