Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2016, 09:35   #1

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'
Watch What You Wish For....

It's Thanksgiving here in the US, right? Lots of family-less people starting to look a little mopey about the holidays. I invite 2 of them to Thanksgiving to share some food and laughs. I shop, the turkey is thawing out up in the cockpit, starting to feel the vibe....I'm Mrs. Thanksgiving.

Then a knock on the hull - Hello - it's Norm, the owner of the boatyard next door. The guy we've been begging to haul us for six months so we can clean the bottom, install a new depth sounder, repaint the waterline, right? Norm, who's got a marine railway big enough to haul us (44 tons) and always, always has some commercial guy up on the ways and doesn't have time to do us. Yep, Norm has a cancellation and can haul us at high tide on Wednesday.

Can't say no. We need this. Bottom paint trumps turkey every time.

So, being Mrs. Thanksgiving I will have turkey dinner and all the trimmings aboard. No water, because no way to get rid of water. Luckily I have a diesel stove. Hope the electric will keep the lights AND the refrigeration going. Guests will have to climb a 20' ladder to get to dinner. Paper plates? Definitely. Mrs Freaking Thanksgiving.

But we will have a beautiful bottom.

I'm laughing as I write this because as a sailor I have my priorities straight. Get the boat squared away is number one. I turn to you to share my laughter, because I simply don't know any earthlings that would understand why I choose to spend the holiday this way.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone - I gotta get busy.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 09:42   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Wtch What You Wish For....

'sounds like a bold move,- turkey on the hard. Good for you! We've settled for Cornish Hens in the toaster oven!
Old 22-11-2016, 09:42   #3

Boat: Hunter Marine 38
Re: Wtch What You Wish For....

Happy Thanksgiving Redhead. Don't forget to put on gloves or the turkey will have a strange color .
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 10:29   #4

Re: Watch What You Wish For....

Invite norm over for Thanksgiving - any turkey poisoning or awkwardness will be worth the good will!
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 11:56   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Redhead,

Thanks for an inspirational T'g message. And you're right, you do have your values straight. Just make sure Norm leaves you with a key to the ablution block and hot water: all cleanups are possible then. (I lower the dirty dishes, etc. in a bucket, by a line, to the ground, then carry to *wherever*. It's all good.

Ann
Old 22-11-2016, 15:11   #6

Location: Currently wintering in Kettering south of Hobart in Tasmania so already established for the Wooden Boat Festival in 2019
Boat: Joe Adams Naut 40

Redhead

Good on you for doing the boat work and still celebrating Thanksgiving. We had 6 guests for a roast pork dinner while hauled out for a re-paint. We had all the boat owners in the yard wishing to join us for dinner but cockpit size was limiting - like Ann we use a bucket on a line but also can afix a length of hose to galley outlet and drain into a yard sump or bucket so at least I can use galley sink as normal.

Cruisers can normal handle any difficult situation and still have a great time!

Cheers Sue
sapient sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 17:03   #7

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Redhead,

Thanks for an inspirational T'g message. And you're right, you do have your values straight. Just make sure Norm leaves you with a key to the ablution block and hot water: all cleanups are possible then. (I lower the dirty dishes, etc. in a bucket, by a line, to the ground, then carry to *wherever*. It's all good.

Ann
Unfortunately, this is a boat yard in the old fashioned sense. Mostly commercial guys, no one stays on board, so no bathroom, no hot water except what I make on the boat. I'm having trouble getting the depth sounder we want on short notice so we may pass on the haul after all and wait till January. It's raining like crazy here so no if the forecast stays like this, there's not going to be a lot of painting going on. I don't know if I'm wishing it to go ahead or to get cancelled. Que sera' sera' as they say. Fingers crossed.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote