Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2011, 08:45   #106
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: Wasp Spray - The Almost Perfect Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Maybe Don Lucas isn't confused at all and has made no assumptions at all and just asked a question.

Maybe Don Lucas hasn't cut you out of the poster herd by name because he doesn't agree with you.

Maybe Don Lucas doesn't support the position that if someone is on your property it is acceptable to shoot them.

Maybe Don Lucas thinks is OK if you want a gun on your boat.

Maybe Don Lucas isn't living in fear so he believes there isn't any reason he needs a gun on his boat.

Maybe Don Lucas is not a liberal at all just because he has these views.

Maybe Don Lucas is a vet and has the belief that maybe some people are idiots looking for a accident to happen.

Maybe Don Lucas feels some idiots acturally should be shot.

Maybe Don Lucas ....................... (you fill in because they all could be maybe)
If they have a TV in their hands and you shoot you go to jail..if they have a knife or say I have a knife then you can kill them..it aint easy....DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:49   #107
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

we keep having arguments over the same thing--- it is ILLEGAL to bring weaponry into other countries. do not carry guns on board a boat going out of country.
there are alternative and legal ways to thwart theft.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:49   #108
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
Eventually we ended up eating my friend's geese (I should say cooking them) they were so tough you could not bite off a piece. They weren't afraid of anything that I ever saw including wolf cross huskies which are notorious chicken eaters. Lots of noise and run right up and peck you on the shin.
You have got to parboil them then roast them....yum with a little orange Marmalad
Old 02-10-2011, 08:55   #109

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
we keep having arguments over the same thing--- it is ILLEGAL to bring weaponry into other countries. do not carry guns on board a boat going out of country.
there are alternative and legal ways to thwart theft.
I think it's also illegal to come on my boat and hurt me or steal things....

You are correct....it's a big decision...so is the decision to pull the trigger and take another's life

Probably both too big to be swayed by an internet forum.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:02   #110
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce626 View Post
My recollection is that geese were used during the Vietnam war around bridges to provide reliable warning of Viet Cong sappers trying to sneak in and place explosives under the bridge. Geese are often indiscriminately and persistently aggressive, they are often very noisy, and they will likely make a mess of the deck since they are confined in a relatively small space on a boat. My gf is still afraid of them having been attacked as a child.

Perhaps some of the noted disadvantages could be mitigated by keeping it/them on a small raft tethered to the boat while anchored and caged while under way.
While in the CZ Republik there was a old man with no legs and blind that sat on a dolly and pulled himself around town(Prauge) and begged for money..I noticed he could tell when someone was near and watched him many times stick his cup up although i didnt say a word..turns out he had crickets in a match box and when someone came near the crickets could sense your fairamons(?) and would start to cherp ..he was also very wealthy..I followed him one night to see where he lived... his kids all had nice cars and two were at university..pays to be a bum i guess.. so if you put crickets on deck you dont need a goose..DVC
Old 02-10-2011, 09:11   #111
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
I'm pretty sure my Cane Corso would eat a snow leopard just for the fun of it. I pity the assailant that boards my boat. I worry more about being boarded by officialdom with such a beast aboard. He's very protective of the children, won't let strangers approach. Schutzhund training makes a big difference too, but I still doubt I could control him if someone boarded unnannounced. It would end poorly for them. I'm guessing my boat is the last one in the anchorage that would be picked for a robbery, because he's hard to miss. Here he is on the farm, and some Schutzhund vid...

Looks like a giant pit bull..nice reverse brindle...
Old 02-10-2011, 09:40   #112

carrying weaponry into other nations can result in loss of personal freedoms and boat. is YOUR choice. i will deal with intrusions in a less costly manner, as i have already done.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:52   #113

Quote:
carrying weaponry into other nations can result in loss of personal freedoms and boat. is YOUR choice. i will deal with intrusions in a less costly manner, as i have already done.
Until the first talented intruder....

Considering how much is smuggled into and out of most nations....only you can only decide on how bright you are...
Old 02-10-2011, 10:25   #114

avoidance and not voluntarily doing that which will get you killed or lose freedoms.
the answer is not in who can shoot you best. is in not attracting the negative attention and not acting like the snot club ye came from.
shiny attracts rats. flaunting your wealth is a bad thing outside of your own yacht club.
there are many ways to APPROPRIATELY avoid malevolence.

of course, if you have more bucks than brains, keep weaponry on board--you will need every penny to buy your way out of the jam you get yourself into.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:32   #115
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
Looks like a giant pit bull..nice reverse brindle...

Cane Corso Italiano is the proper name for the Italian Mastiff. Some people get confused because Neopolitan Mastiffs are also often called Italian Mastiffs, and as the two are cousins they look very similar. The Neo is much bigger and more jowly though. These two breeds are the last descendants of the Roman Molosser, a mastiff breed which was bred specifically for warfare and gladiatorial games for close to a thousand years. The Neo is much closer to the true Molosser, Corso are an evolutionary branch which was created when Roman farmers began using the Molosser for a farm dog. They were bred to hunt, herd, and protect the farm. They are one of the last true coursing breeds, and will happily pull down large game, herd animals, tow a cart, and protect your farm and family. They became almost extinct during WWII when the allied bombing campaign in Italy and the general warfare there caused most of them to be exterminated. The breed is now coming back, both in Europe and the US, although it's often adulterated stock in the US. They are incredibly intelligent and loyal animals, I'm a big fan. They are not your average dog.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AAchilles.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	32263   Click image for larger version

Name:	cane-corso-photo-gallery-pics-7.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	32264  

Name:	Chaos.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	32265   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gator%20Country%20Knight%203RW.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	32266  

Name:	Konan3.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	32267   Click image for larger version

Name:	lg_cane_corso11.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	32268  

Name:	ODIN1.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	32269   Click image for larger version

Name:	RedRocks%20Numa.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	32270  

Name:	Sparky%20on%20beach%206-08.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	32271   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sparky%20on%20beach%207%206-08.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	32272  

Name:	Sparky%20on%20beach%208%206-08.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	32273   Click image for larger version

Name:	Walt%20N%20Sunset.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	32274  

minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:49   #116

Quote:
avoidance and not voluntarily doing that which will get you killed or lose freedoms.
the answer is not in who can shoot you best. is in not attracting the negative attention and not acting like the snot club ye came from.
shiny attracts rats. flaunting your wealth is a bad thing outside of your own yacht club.
there are many ways to APPROPRIATELY avoid malevolence.

of course, if you have more bucks than brains, keep weaponry on board--you will need every penny to buy your way out of the jam you get yourself into.
Speaking of money and yacht clubs has got nothing to do with it...I don't belong to one and my boat probably cost about the same as yours...

Looking like you don't have money may help sometimes...but to the average thief in many places....they ain't too bright and their worry about higher punishment for carrying a weapon and using it doesn't deter them either.

Brains ...money...appropriately...all words till someone sticks a knife or bullet in you... yes...I've avoided confrontation most of my life...but until you are at the dangerous end of a weapon...either end...words are just that....
Old 02-10-2011, 12:33   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Cane Corso Italiano is the proper name for the Italian Mastiff. Some people get confused because Neopolitan Mastiffs are also often called Italian Mastiffs, and as the two are cousins they look very similar. The Neo is much bigger and more jowly though. These two breeds are the last descendants of the Roman Molosser, a mastiff breed which was bred specifically for warfare and gladiatorial games for close to a thousand years. The Neo is much closer to the true Molosser, Corso are an evolutionary branch which was created when Roman farmers began using the Molosser for a farm dog. They were bred to hunt, herd, and protect the farm. They are one of the last true coursing breeds, and will happily pull down large game, herd animals, tow a cart, and protect your farm and family. They became almost extinct during WWII when the allied bombing campaign in Italy and the general warfare there caused most of them to be exterminated. The breed is now coming back, both in Europe and the US, although it's often adulterated stock in the US. They are incredibly intelligent and loyal animals, I'm a big fan. They are not your average dog.
An acquaintance of mine whom is also a fan, told me that while ok on land ie the Farm you mention, unlike the Labrador which is a Water Loving Bred Pooch, this breed can be prone to seasickness when subjected to the motion of the ocean. Not much use if the crew can't earn their bones!
Islander1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:33   #118

Wasp spray for self defense is a bad idea. It is a myth! Stick with the Pepper Spray. Wasp spray is unproven and has never been tested on humans. Wasp Spray will NOT work on those who cannot feel pain i.e. drugs or alcohol. Pepper Spray is an inflammatory which will cause the eyes to slam shut no matter the situation. That’s why over 40,000 law enforcement agencies carry it nationwide and even the smallest canisters will fire 10 ft while the larger canisters will fire 25 to 30 ft.
mike2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:40   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
While in the CZ Republik there was a old man with no legs and blind that sat on a dolly and pulled himself around town(Prauge) and begged for money..I noticed he could tell when someone was near and watched him many times stick his cup up although i didnt say a word..turns out he had crickets in a match box and when someone came near the crickets could sense your fairamons(?) and would start to cherp ..he was also very wealthy..I followed him one night to see where he lived... his kids all had nice cars and two were at university..pays to be a bum i guess.. so if you put crickets on deck you dont need a goose..DVC
Crickets? I guess Baseballs are out of the question!
Sorry, couldn't resist it!
Islander1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 13:06   #120
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander1 View Post
An acquaintance of mine whom is also a fan, told me that while ok on land ie the Farm you mention, unlike the Labrador which is a Water Loving Bred Pooch, this breed can be prone to seasickness when subjected to the motion of the ocean. Not much use if the crew can't earn their bones!
A fallacy. Corso's notoriously dislike water and will not swim, though like most dogs they love wading and playing in the surf. This is because they have zero fat content and will sink like a stone. However they are pretty mellow and seem to love boating. My guy does great aboard, even in the rough stuff. He loves a dinghy ride more than almost anything, and is really pretty salty. I know another couple who liveaboard with one as well. There are actually a number of persistent myths about the progeny of the corso's name, one of which has it associated with the word corsair, because ancient italian pirates(think the Cilicians who obducted Caesar) were notorious for using Molossers in boarding actions.
Only problem I've had sailing with my Corso is that he needs to wear mitts when it gets rough out or he claws everything up with his massive talons while climbing around. He's incredibly strong and can gouge grooves into teak that look like a bear sharpened it's claws there. But with the mitts on he can't hang on as well and so he doesn't like them. We're getting there. Here's my guy hangin with the kids on our old boat when he was still just a big puppy.
Just to stay sorta vaguely on topic, I think this a security method which works great for people with a limited cruising range who intend to stay in areas where traveling with a dog isn't a problem. I'd much rather have my mastiff than any kind of spray, wasp or otherwise. He follows the kids around and would protect them with his life from anything from a snake to another dog to a person or persons, however unlikely the latter might be. Sure beats hell out of getting arrested for foolishly carrying an illegal weapon, and IMHO probably a lot more effective anyway. He is alarm, phsychological deterrent, and defensive weapon all in one. And he's soft and cuddly too!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bruno N Kids.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	32279   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bruno2.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	32280  

minaret is offline   Reply With Quote