Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2013, 04:34   #1

Viglante police in mexico

BBC News - Mexico's vigilante law enforcers

Anyone run across any of these types of guys yet?
Allio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 05:53   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Viglante police in mexico

zihuatenejo is in state of guerrero--have seen nothing to back this story ....not one thing, soul, nor incident.
mebbe bbc is acting in same mode as fox news???
btw--i have been here since december, 2012. if this is truth, i should have seen something along these lines.

would like to know if mebbe this is specific to the town they high light in their little map.....

what does bbc news say about the 2013 boston marathon.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 06:12   #3

bbc is publicly owned. no commercial interests unlike american news media. tends to make them quite independent and reliable.

BBC News - Boston bombing: A changed US reaction to terror

two days after and not even front page news here anymore..... The feeling this side of the pond is that it seems like a domestic incident....

re vigilantes, bbc tends not to publish unless they've verified their sources... at least in my experience....
Old 17-04-2013, 06:16   #4

this couod welbe specific to ayutla.
a couple of weeks agoi heard in mexican news, not other news, that police chief o fguerrero state was arrested--this could be ayutla's compensatory solution to this problem, as no one has been appointed nor elected into that position.
there are federales here, not vigilantes. the municipal police are here, as usual, but ther ehave been no signs of anything untoward.
these folks thrive on tourism and suffer when there is a problem. the society here is tourism based. many of the police actions are to protect tourists.
what did bbc say about the arrest of the former police chief of guerrero, or did they even hear about it....(no, i amnot a closed eyed tourist.....i live in the area i visit for a minimum of 5 months at a time, so far.

news media love to spotlight mexico--is spozedly so dangerous--but no one blew up any mexican towns during any sporting event this spring....
Old 17-04-2013, 06:18   #5

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

Similar news on NPR

Mexican Vigilantes Seize Town, Arrest Police : NPR

I suggest stay afloat, and away from town.
tbodine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 06:28   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbodine88 View Post
Similar news on NPR

Mexican Vigilantes Seize Town, Arrest Police : NPR

I suggest stay afloat, and away from town.
so, according to this report, this vigilante activity has been going on for many years. why report it now--just because the official police are so corrupt the commmunity could no longer stand nor tolerate it? after all, the police chief himself was arrested for that corruption thing----

i see this as the state of guerrero trying to make some kind of life for self without somuch corruption, which has been so rampant in mexico forever----the police are not doing their jobs--someone has to do it...is tha tbad?? depends on y0ur attitude towards the locals--those who are doing bad deeds need to be punished, not made into police chiefs.

i also noted the media mentions cars were shot at, but doesnt say what folks were in these cars that refused to stop at checkpoints...refusing to stop is a suspected deed of criminal activity in and of itself--exhibits intent and guilt. why else would someone refuse to stop at a checkpoint? there are many checkpoints in mexico. remember this is a country which practices napoleonic law--guilty until proven innocent. why instigate activity against yourself if you are not guilty.
Old 17-04-2013, 06:29   #7

bbc article re tierra colorada

BBC News - Mexico vigilantes detain police in Guerrero
Old 17-04-2013, 06:45   #8

i think this is a positive move on the part of the state of guerrero, as opposed to a terrorist thing. this seems to be a positive move as opposed to a negative and terrorist thing....mebbe we should praise these souls for recapturing guerrero--is first state to protest??

Quote:
Hundreds of armed vigilantes have occupied a town in south-western Mexico after one of their leaders was killed.

Armed with shotguns, the self-styled "community police" marched into Tierra Colorada in Guerrero state.

They detained the local police chief, accusing him of involvement in the killing and working with drugs gangs.

Guerrero has seen a growing movement of self-defence groups in response to violent criminal gangs and the failure of police to guarantee security.

The vigilantes withdrew from Tierra Colorada after local authorities suspended the police chief and agreed to investigate him.

'We want justice'
The occupation - on the road linking Mexico City with the beach resort of Acapulco - came in response to the murder of vigilante leader Guadalupe Quinones Carbajal on Monday.

More than 1000 armed men moved into the town, searching houses and detaining around 12 police, including the local commander, whom they blame for the killing.

"This is not a protest, it is a confrontation between us and organised crime. We want justice," vigilante leader Bruno Placido Valerio told Mexico's Vanguardia newspaper.

Troops and federal police were brought to the town, and the vigilantes agreed to withdraw after negotiations with the local authorities.

Guerrero state has been a battleground for rival drugs cartels fighting for control of lucrative smuggling routs along Mexico's Pacific coast.

Vigilante groups say they are fighting against violence, kidnapping and extortion by criminal gangs, but they have in turn been accused of breaking the law and abusing the rights of those they detain.

About 70,000 people are estimated to have died in drug-related violence in Mexico over the past six years.

President Enrique Pena Nieto has made the fight against organised crime one of his main priorities and has announced the creation of a new federal police force to help drive down murder rates.
Old 17-04-2013, 07:37   #9
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
bbc is publicly owned. no commercial interests unlike american news media. tends to make them quite independent and reliable.

BBC News - Boston bombing: A changed US reaction to terror

two days after and not even front page news here anymore..... The feeling this side of the pond is that it seems like a domestic incident....

re vigilantes, bbc tends not to publish unless they've verified their sources... at least in my experience....

I think it's an isolated incident. i'm sure BBC understands the meaning of the word "vigilante." It would be just the opposite of "new national policy." I was surprised to see the title next to your name because you've had so many good experiences down there. I bet you don't have anything to worry about. And you're known there, too. You aren't just some naive, transient tourist.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 07:41   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
so, according to this report, this vigilante activity has been going on for many years. why report it now--just because the official police are so corrupt the commmunity could no longer stand nor tolerate it? after all, the police chief himself was arrested for that corruption thing----

i see this as the state of guerrero trying to make some kind of life for self without somuch corruption, which has been so rampant in mexico forever----the police are not doing their jobs--someone has to do it...is tha tbad?? depends on y0ur attitude towards the locals--those who are doing bad deeds need to be punished, not made into police chiefs.

i also noted the media mentions cars were shot at, but doesnt say what folks were in these cars that refused to stop at checkpoints...refusing to stop is a suspected deed of criminal activity in and of itself--exhibits intent and guilt. why else would someone refuse to stop at a checkpoint? there are many checkpoints in mexico. remember this is a country which practices napoleonic law--guilty until proven innocent. why instigate activity against yourself if you are not guilty.

I think it got reported because things escalated in that town -- vigilantes took over the town. Whole movies have been written about such scenarios.

Gotta know your neighborhood. If there's no such history where you are, I would think -- no worries. But at the same time, doesn't the BBC get to report what they feel the news is? I think it's important reminder to know your territory. As a traveler, I wouldn't want to be in a town in a foreign country where vigilantes had replaced the official police.

I think every intelligent person knows that one small town in Mexico is not all of Mexico, but some places in Mexico are more safe, and some less so.
Old 17-04-2013, 07:51   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

They say lotsof criminal gangs started out as vigilante groups,such as "The Famila" now they are one of the wrost and use God as a weapon against the ones that believe it(God) most...wish them well...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 08:10   #12
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
They say lotsof criminal gangs started out as vigilante groups,such as "The Famila" now they are one of the wrost and use God as a weapon against the ones that believe it(God) most...wish them well...

Well, that's the problem with vigilante groups all over the world -- not just Mexico.
Old 17-04-2013, 08:40   #13

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

The Mafia was a vigilante group during the war, protecting Sicilians. After the war they didn't want to go away and continued to collect from the people of Sicily, turning to violence against the people that they had protected previously.
I hope that Mexicans are smarter than that.
That said, I've been in Mexico for a year now and I haven't even seen any angry Mexicans except one shop owner yelling at his neighbor in Ensenada and one ******* surfer in Punta De Mita. I've seen a bunch of angry Americans.
Old 17-04-2013, 08:42   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
I think it's an isolated incident. i'm sure BBC understands the meaning of the word "vigilante." It would be just the opposite of "new national policy." I was surprised to see the title next to your name because you've had so many good experiences down there. I bet you don't have anything to worry about. And you're known there, too. You aren't just some naive, transient tourist.
I don't know the area personally. never said I did. Posted it because I hadn't seen it discussed here yet as the issue may affect cruisers in that part of the world. I did actually check that this was a coastal area and thus was relevant to cruisers. If it had been inland I wouldn't have posted it to a sailing forum....

By the dripping sarcasm in your post I'm guessing your just trolling me directly here????

Either way I am *so * thankful for your post. Really increased my knowledge....
Old 17-04-2013, 08:47   #15
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

I was in Mexico (BCS) last month when the Policia Communitaria arrested the police in Guerrero. Part of the context missing from the BBC report was that this happened during Holy Week, a time when much of Mexico is on holiday. In coastal communities many families camp out on the beaches all week, and it's something of a week-long fiesta. The highways are jammed with traffic heading to the beaches. These "arrests" happened right at the height of this activity, and should be seen as having been appropriately symbolic.

Tags
Mexico