Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2016, 07:34   #1

UK VAT

Does anyone have any thoughts about how Brexit, if it happens, will affect British boats and sailors re VAT in Europe? Only 3 months away now!
ameehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:52   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: UK VAT

If we exit it will revert to the old rule.. on new boats.. existing boats WITH VAT PAID certificates should be fine..
Cannot see us in the UK going back to the old 12% Sales Tax though.. the Pigs will still want the same amount of food in the trough.. 21% is here to stay.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 13:28   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: UK VAT

Don't worry, I think the country will bottle it just like the Scots did last year.

What we really need is for all the ex-pats to return home for the vote

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 14:17   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Don't worry, I think the country will bottle it just like the Scots did last year.

What we really need is for all the ex-pats to return home for the vote

Pete
From what I gather, those with access to the real poll numbers are seeing a massive majority for exit.

That's why those with their snouts firmly rammed into the EU feeding trough are sounding worried. This is one referendum I think the EU are going to have a heck of a job rigging, without it being obvious just how much they have tried to rig it.

I might be back in time to add my vote for exit.

Bottom line though, the EU is already dead on its feet. 2008 gave it a fatal blow, and Feb/March 2009 delivered the Coup d'Grace. Like a dinosaur, the message is just having a heck of a job finding a brain in Brussels or Strasburg to deliver itself to.

PS. With the scale of the economic long overdue 'adjustments' that will arrive at some point, purchase tax, VAT, property taxes, and income taxes, could well disappear and/or be significantly reduced, for a considerable period.

Though we had all better hope and pray that they don't 'all' disappear permanently (it can happen). Funding the monstrosity that is Public Employment and spending is going to become an impossibility. I think Osborne (or people advising him) can see it coming, which is why early cuts are being put in place.

It will be impossible to react properly to what is looming, for any Nation shackled to the EU*, which is why I think all member Nations should exit yesterday if not sooner, so they can reduce the inevitable damage to the maximum for the benefit of their people.

*It can be far worse than has happened to Greece, for everybody in the EU.
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 14:29   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribbit View Post
From what I gather, those with access to the real poll numbers are seeing a massive majority for exit.

That's why those with their snouts firmly rammed into the EU feeding trough are sounding worried. This is one referendum I think the EU are going to have a heck of a job rigging, without it being obvious just how much they have tried to rig it.

I might be back in time to add my vote for exit.

Bottom line though, the EU is already dead on its feet. 2008 gave it a fatal blow, and Feb/March 2009 delivered the Coup d'Grace. Like a dinosaur, the message is just having a heck of a job finding a brain in Brussels or Strasburg to deliver itself to.
Good observation. What do people think what effect a Britex will have on the Euro vs the US Dollar. I'm seeing very little reporting on the economic impact on the Euro in all of this. I don't have horse in this race being neither British or European but am always interested in Dollar vs Euro movements.

Thanks,
Chaya
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 14:56   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
Good observation. What do people think what effect a Britex will have on the Euro vs the US Dollar. I'm seeing very little reporting on the economic impact on the Euro in all of this. I don't have horse in this race being neither British or European but am always interested in Dollar vs Euro movements.

Thanks,
Chaya
Once the EU made the extent of the bailouts secret after they hit 1 trillion euros, and the ECB was paying out at face value on worthless bulk laser printed 'securities', by Feb/March 2009 the real value of the euro was that of recycled dog food.

That reality is going to strike home at some point (hence the Coup d'Grace}.

The maths doesn't lie, and the consequences cannot be escaped. Each attempt to avoid the inevitable {all that has happened since 2008 is successive kicks of the can, nothing has been fixed} only results in a greater eventual detonation, and far greater final damage.

Measures to stop the blatant criminality should have been carried out by the mid 1990's at the very latest. At that point, Public Spending may only have had to have been cut by around 25% immediately, with a slow reduction for a while from then on.

Sadly nobody had the backbone to tell the truth to the tax paying and voting Public (not entirely fair, as Nigel Farage did his best to get the truth out along with a few others).

Something else people aren't generally aware of, is just how massive the financial aid was, that America gave the EU to try and prop it up, So in addition to the recycled dog food, the EU is committed to paying back huge amounts of $'s (trillions).
Another thing. Remember the LIBOR scandal, with the rate fixing? The REAL scandal was that it was demanded by EURIBOR, to prevent all the European banks detonating. Barclays blew the whistle on it, and for that, they got heavily fined by the EU.
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote