Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2020, 11:03   #16
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: Twin mainsheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
How is this different from a traveler that is locked down (which it should be in this circumstance)?
It really depends on the setup. We still have our traveller, cabin top, forward of companion way. From running to broad reach with main to SB for instance we can take the port sheet and set it centreline on the traveler, this is the power sheet. The SB sheet set to full SB on the traveler is pulling downward acting as a vang (not great running but provides more downhaul the higher you point). With this short ‘vang’ there is little slack (there is some) but generally the boom cannot swing across center line without being eased (if it does start to gybe on you there is much less sheet to take up). As for gybing I have both mainsheets on winches with swivel jams on each side of the companionway. As we come across the wind I grab both sheets with both blocks far P/SB on the traveler and fully control the boom through the gybe as you have two points of contact on the boom similar to locking it down at anchor. You can easily adjust the traveler under sail as you can ease up on one sheet while the other takes over. You really have to play around with it as at various points of sail you can flatten or bag the main sail, ease it out like using a traveler with or without using the traveler, create twist etc. It really is quite versatile.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 12:15   #17
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
It really depends on the setup. We still have our traveller, cabin top, forward of companion way. From running to broad reach with main to SB for instance we can take the port sheet and set it centreline on the traveler, this is the power sheet. The SB sheet set to full SB on the traveler is pulling downward acting as a vang (not great running but provides more downhaul the higher you point). With this short ‘vang’ there is little slack (there is some) but generally the boom cannot swing across center line without being eased (if it does start to gybe on you there is much less sheet to take up). As for gybing I have both mainsheets on winches with swivel jams on each side of the companionway. As we come across the wind I grab both sheets with both blocks far P/SB on the traveler and fully control the boom through the gybe as you have two points of contact on the boom similar to locking it down at anchor. You can easily adjust the traveler under sail as you can ease up on one sheet while the other takes over. You really have to play around with it as at various points of sail you can flatten or bag the main sail, ease it out like using a traveler with or without using the traveler, create twist etc. It really is quite versatile.

Good description.

a. With a full beam traveler the broad reach sheeting point is the same.
b. With the traveler locked down and not too much sheet out, the boom cannot cross the centerline. Same.
c. Yup, there is a little more control during a jibe, if you have a way of handling both sheets while steering and handling the jib or spin sheets.
d. In conditions where the boom can simply be allowed to cross, with limited sheeting in, a traveler system is simple and faster. On multihulls, it is sufficient to sheet in and haul the traveler to the center, jibe, and then ease the traveler out. In fast multihulls, just center the traveler during the turn, jibe, and let it out. Fast.

The down side, if winches are needed, is the number of winches. Generally, you need to dedicate the primaries to the genoa. The secondaries handle the reacher or chute. So unless we add winches, there is a challenge. With a traveller, on the other hand, most boats can haul the traveler by hand. The main sheet can either be high-purchase (since there is only the need for one) or it can use a clutch and whatever winch is available.

Not sayin' it is impractical. But like any system, it will require thought and the challenges will depend on the size of the boat. The differences can be subtle.

Interesting. I do believe that there are times when it is the better solution.
Old 09-04-2020, 13:23   #18

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbilbo View Post
I'm doing a 'refurb' and planning to relocate the existing mainsheet track, which is close to the companion-hatch, to a position about 20" further aft.
However, I am reminded that Jean-Jacques Van Den Heede used a 'twin mainsheet' arrangement, and that it worked Right Round for him.

I like to ask for others views, for usually I learn something I hadn't sussed out for myself, so I invite opinion on the relative merits of retro-fitting a twin mainsheet system on a 27' sailboat of similar shape to J-J's boat...
I have removed my 4.5' traveler to paint the aft deck and will not reinstall it.
I'll be instead, installing 2 pad eyes and getting the extrat equipment. I have a 15 feet boom, so I'll need double blocks at the boom and double fidle blocks, as Fig 1. On a 27 footer perhaps you could use a single sheet as in Fig 2.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	double-mainsheet.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	212391   Click image for larger version

Name:	DBL Mainsheet.png
Views:	400
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	212392  

SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags