Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2017, 09:59   #1

Boat: Hunter, Legend 35.5
Troubleshooting Dometic CU-100

Hello-

I have a Dometic CU-100. I've had it less than four years. I have already had to replace the DANFOSS Module. My question is that: I can hear it running and stops for a second or two and starts right back up. This is continues. There doesn't seem to be any lights blinking and the unit does keep my refrigerator cold however, this just doesn't seem right. Normally, it runs when required and stops when not need. Any thoughts or recommendations on potential issues/problems?

Thanks
Capt Pozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 14:27   #2

Boat: IT40 Motorsailer. 40'
Re: Troubleshooting Dometic CU-100

Pull it out to where you can get to the electrical connections. Check the voltage AS IT IS STARTING. I just had this same issue with a newly installed Danfoss compressor and I had to run a larger wire to the fridge to make this issue go away. The give away for me was that it only did it after the sun went down and the voltage in the batteries leveled out.
JstaRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 15:13   #3

Hi Capt Pozzi, as suggested it may be a Voltage issue? Best way is to check with a Meter at the + & - terminals on the Control module. The cut out is about 11.5Volts.
If you can find the Danfoss model No of the Control unit, try searching on their website. Danfoss sold this and is now called SECOP.
2. Electronic units: technical data
Hopefully yours in in the list. If you have a terminal marked "D", connect a LED or Volt Meter between this and small + on the module. In the event of a fault, the LED or meter deflection will be a series of flashes every 4 seconds. 1 flash in 4 secs indicates the module is tripping on voltage. My other suggestion would to turn off any other any Inverters or large 'Electronic' loads as these can sometimes make other electronics do funny things.
Good Luck
Ding Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 12:31   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Pozzi View Post
Hello-

I have a Dometic CU-100. I've had it less than four years. I have already had to replace the DANFOSS Module. My question is that: I can hear it running and stops for a second or two and starts right back up. This is continues. There doesn't seem to be any lights blinking and the unit does keep my refrigerator cold however, this just doesn't seem right. Normally, it runs when required and stops when not need. Any thoughts or recommendations on potential issues/problems?

Thanks
Hi there Capt Pozzi.

Are you sure its not just the fan that is stopping and the compressor is still running ? Fans run intermittently when they are stating to fail . There was a chap with the exact same problem last week and a new fan solved his problem.
These little compressors make very little noise and even less vibration, put your hand on it as it behaves this way and make sure the compressor is stopping as well .

Also you may want to move this question to the plumbing and fixtures forum. Thats where you should post your refrigeration questions , you will get a lot more responses over there.

Regards John
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote