Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2017, 03:27   #1

Transporting gas?

With gas at $3 a gallon at the fuel dock, does anyone fuel their boats by carrying fuel to the dock?

The boat I'm looking at has two 40 gallon tanks, and with eight, 10 gallon refillable containers I could carry fuel to the boat and save $80 each time I refuel.

I wouldn't do it long distances but the marinas around here are usually just blocks away from a street side gas station. It's how we fill out power boat that's on a trailer.
TooCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 04:31   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Transporting gas?

If the marina gets hissy, find a gas station further away near to where you can pull up to the side and go get the fuel.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 04:39   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCoys View Post
With gas at $3 a gallon at the fuel dock, does anyone fuel their boats by carrying fuel to the dock?

The boat I'm looking at has two 40 gallon tanks, and with eight, 10 gallon refillable containers I could carry fuel to the boat and save $80 each time I refuel.

I wouldn't do it long distances but the marinas around here are usually just blocks away from a street side gas station. It's how we fill out power boat that's on a trailer.
Many sailors do this, especially in regions where there simply are no fuel docks.

But you do realize, don't you, that a 10 gallon can of gasoline weigh 63 pounds plus the weight of the container? So that's over 500 pounds of gasoline

I sometimes buy fuel by ordering it brought to me in a fuel truck. But I'm buying a bit more than 80 gallons at a time
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 04:41   #4

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCoys View Post

You might try a practice run, with a 10-gallon (~70-lbs) container... and then imagine standing wherever you would have to be on the boat to get the spout into the deck fill... and then the container emptied... without spilling anything...

Times 8.

I can tell you filling our diesel tractor with a single 6-gallon container -- first not spilling anything as the spout tilts into the tank fill, and then holding the container upright at the increasing correct angle for the time it takes to empty -- get's old quickly. And that's on land, with room to maneuver.

I'm old, though.

-Chris
Old 11-07-2017, 04:48   #5

Boat: Valiant 42

Most marinas have a strict policy against fueling boats in their own slip. There are multiple reasons. One is the marina insurance policy will usually demand this rule be enforced. A large percentage of boat fires happen during fueling. There is seldom sufficient fire fighting equipment anywhere on the dock except at the fuel dock. Second, fuel spills are a liability and most fuel docks have spill containment equipment but not near each slip. Plus the marina may get significant revenue from its own fuel station.

A 10 gallon container will be heavier than one person can easily manage. And I guess the cost to be about $250 for 8 of them unless you already have the containers. There are some containers on wheels but they are also expensive and very heavy.

If you did have a fire or spill when fueling in the slip then the marina insurance company may come down on you very hard. And your own insurance company may not be very helpful. So I think the risks are not worth it in my opinion.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 04:59   #6

You also will not save $80 each time that you fuel unless you are always 100% out of fuel ! If you spill any fuel that puts a sheen on the water then you could be in big trouble with every one and stand a chance of loosing your slip . It a'int worth it !
wandering rober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 06:32   #7

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Seems penny wise and pound foolish to me...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 06:41   #8

Boat: Currently in between

Pouring from a full container will almost always, or I'm just clumsy, result in some spillage. It may be minor but any spillage is unacceptable if it makes it to the water.

Consider sitting the jug next to your fill port and using a siphon hose with a squeeze bulb. You don't want gas or Diesel in your mouth!
Old 11-07-2017, 06:43   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
Pouring from a full container will almost always, or I'm just clumsy, result in some spillage. It may be minor but any spillage is unacceptable if it makes it to the water.

Consider sitting the jug next to your fill port and using a siphon hose with a squeeze bulb. You don't want gas or Diesel in your mouth!
Always siphon from containers to your tanks. I use one of those rattle-priming ones -- works great.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 06:56   #10

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Transporting gas?

If you are going to do this regularly you might consider one of these 29 gallon fuel transports dollies with its own hose and pump. I've never used one but it looks as though it's designed for your purpose. Do you have a truck to carry it from gas station to dock?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5068.JPG
Views:	267
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	151671

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/moell...2?recordNum=13
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:00   #11

Y'all underestimate my hard headedness and persistence. lol I am DEFINITELY my fathers son.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:26   #12

Another thought. In some states the marina gas is ethanol free instead of the road gas. It costs more for that gas at a pump on land also.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:32   #13

Boat: Valiant 42

We have no idea how hard headed you are. We are just telling you about the considerations and you have to make up your own mind. But I think it wise to consider your fellow boaters as well as the environment. We are discussing a high risk activity with a relatively small $ reward.

If we were dock neighbors and your 80 gals of gasoline were to burn or kill my family your hard headedness would not help you. If I see someone trundling down the dock with multiple cans of gasoline I will immediately complain to the marina management as I am leaving the marina. Seeing one gasoline fire is one too many.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:53   #14

Transporting gas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
We have no idea how hard headed you are. We are just telling you about the considerations and you have to make up your own mind. But I think it wise to consider your fellow boaters as well as the environment. We are discussing a high risk activity with a relatively small $ reward.

If we were dock neighbors and your 80 gals of gasoline were to burn or kill my family your hard headedness would not help you. If I see someone trundling down the dock with multiple cans of gasoline I will immediately complain to the marina management as I am leaving the marina. Seeing one gasoline fire is one too many.

Double post.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:55   #15

Transporting gas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post

Why do you assume I'm NOT taking my safety and the safety of others, as well as the environment into consideration?

And why threaten anyone with a report to the marina? You're what's wrong with the world today. Did it make you feel better to ruffle your feathers and squawk about it?