Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2017, 08:44   #16

Re: Transporting gas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
We have no idea how hard headed you are. We are just telling you about the considerations and you have to make up your own mind. But I think it wise to consider your fellow boaters as well as the environment. We are discussing a high risk activity with a relatively small $ reward.

If we were dock neighbors and your 80 gals of gasoline were to burn or kill my family your hard headedness would not help you. If I see someone trundling down the dock with multiple cans of gasoline I will immediately complain to the marina management as I am leaving the marina. Seeing one gasoline fire is one too many.
I hope someone reports you when you carry a jug of dingy gas to your boat. How would you know what it's for?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:37   #17

Boat: Catalina 320

Dockside refueling is prohibited in my lease agreement with the marina, they might not evict you for a couple gallons, but 80 would get you booted for sure.
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:54   #18

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCoys View Post
Why do you assume I'm NOT taking my safety and the safety of others, as well as the environment into consideration?

And why threaten anyone with a report to the marina? You're what's wrong with the world today. Did it make you feel better to ruffle your feathers and squawk about it?
Your behavior puts everyone around you at risk even if you don't think so.

A good harbor master likes to hear from people so he knows what is happening in the marina even if it isn't a complaint. Who knows he might even let you do it, sometimes even they make mistakes.
kentobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:48   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCoys View Post
Why do you assume I'm NOT taking my safety and the safety of others, as well as the environment into consideration?

And why threaten anyone with a report to the marina? You're what's wrong with the world today. Did it make you feel better to ruffle your feathers and squawk about it?
Yes, this is exactly what's wrong with modern world. Nobody takes responsibility for ANY of his actions and yet wants others to obey HIS rules. Everyone cover their a*ses with 1000 different insurance policies (yes, again, totally refusing to take any personal responsibility) and yet think others must do the same. Commons sense does not exist anymore. Scam, lawers, law suits, all kinds of BS. So-called "developed" countries slowly but surely become "world for idiots, scammers, snitches".
ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:20   #20

Boat: J/42

Really? Three dollars? I think it's something like $5.30 at our fuel dock. And you have to call an attendant to hike over from a nearby gas station to unlock it, so he expects a tip. I almost always haul it myself in 5 gallon cans. But I only have a small tank.

For 80 gallons, I'd be looking for someplace I could fill from my farm truck utility tank. I'm not sure if that's quite enough to call the CoOp fuel truck out. I notice they do come out to fuel the cruise ships at the commercial dock. Funny... I hadn't realized that the cruise line was a member of the farm CoOp.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 12:11   #21

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I hope someone reports you when you carry a jug of dingy gas to your boat. How would you know what it's for?

I take the dingy tank to the gas dock. That is permitted. What's not permitted is fueling on the boat dock.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 13:04   #22

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
I take the dingy tank to the gas dock. That is permitted. What's not permitted is fueling on the boat dock.
You really have to take your dinghy tank to the dock for refueling?

I don't have a dinghy but do have a 3 gallon external tank I use for "long distance" motoring with my 5 hp outboard when necessary which is the main engine for my sailboat.

I refill it and my outboard integral tank from a 2.2 gallon plastic gas can. It works great.

I wouldn't be moving 40 plus gallons to a boat from a neighborhood gas station though.

Pay the extra and forget about it or buy a sailboat which needs maybe 10 gallons a year with a diesel or small outboard
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 13:37   #23

Yes, transferring fuel from a portable tank to boat tank is a fire and spill hazard. Most marinas specifically prohibit that as a condition of lease. I have not been in a marina where pumping gasoline into a boat at a normal slip is permitted. There are plenty of horror stories about resulting fuel spills and fires.

A portable dinghy tank is an approved container and bringing it to the gas dock is acceptable most places. I have been in one marina where they would not even allow that. They said to bring the dinghy over and fill at the gas dock.
Old 11-07-2017, 15:24   #24

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Yes, transferring fuel from a portable tank to boat tank is a fire and spill hazard. Most marinas specifically prohibit that as a condition of lease. I have not been in a marina where pumping gasoline into a boat at a normal slip is permitted. There are plenty of horror stories about resulting fuel spills and fires.

A portable dinghy tank is an approved container and bringing it to the gas dock is acceptable most places. I have been in one marina where they would not even allow that. They said to bring the dinghy over and fill at the gas dock.
Well I'm glad it's not that way here because I'd hate to have to visit the fuel dock every time I needed to fill up my 40 ounce integral tank on the outboard

And since we are on the subject, I hate having any type of fuel onboard be it diesel or gas but sometimes it's necessary

This boat is the first I've had with an engine since before 1990. My other four sailboats (beach cats) didn't have engines even though I did multiple 100 mile plus races on them
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 15:27   #25

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:

Where is this utopian hell?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 16:10   #26

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

This is the only regulation about fueling in my marina in Alamitos Bay, California, a city owned and operated marina.

"Fueling:

Fueling in the marina must be accomplished using a container manufactured and approved for fueling purposes."
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 16:12   #27

Boat: Lancer 44 Motor Sailer

Wow! You guys are hard. I kept a 23 ft Sea Ray Weekender in a slip at the lake near my house untill last year. I would pull it once a year for cleaning and servicing. Before launching I would take it to the local gas pumps to fill the 80 gal gas tank. Some times I would bring 2 or 3- 5 gal jugs down to the boat to top off the tank. No fuel dock at the lake. The marina manager always knew what I was doing. It was pretty common . Either do that or pull the boat up on the trailer and drag it to a gas station.
Diesel Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 16:26   #28

Boat: Lancer 44 Motor Sailer

I just finished topping off the 225 gal diesel tank in my motorsailer with jugs. Started at 75 gals and finished up full 1 month later. I brought 25 - 30 gals each trip down to the boat.
Used a rattle siphon hose to go directly into the tank from the guest stateroom dip stick hole. I didn't feel comfortable using the deck fill. Very little spillage (only a few drops from the hose when switching over to another jug.) Easy and neat.
Diesel Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 16:27   #29

"Why do you assume I'm NOT taking my safety and the safety of others, as well as the environment into consideration?"

Because it's very difficult, almost impossible, to safely transfer 80 gallons of gasoline from containers into the tank, on a regular basis.

I do what you're planning but with one 5 gallon container of diesel, and that's just about handleable. It's very hard to dispense without spilling a little. I always make sure that I have tissues handy, to make sure that none reaches the scuppers.

Have you considered the potential explosion hazard from the fumes? When you pour gas from a container into a tank, you get a lot of fumes, a lot more than when you put a nozzle in the tank.

Have you considered static discharge? Your tank is probably well earthed. The container is not. If you get a static buildup on the container, it will earth through the tank, and boom. Before you pour scorn on this possibility, about 20 Americans on average are immolated each year, doing something similar. They put the gas tank on the back of a pickup, then the static earths through the gas nozzle. That's why there are signs at the gas station telling you to fill tanks on the ground.

It is top of my list of my least favourite ways to die. You can probably look forward to a long stay in intensive care, in terrible pain, first.

At Grand Marina last time I visited, there was a burned out boat the size of yours. In that case "only" the dog died. The owner of that was probably bone headed too.

Are you aware of the need to all windows and other access points to the boat to keep fumes out, before you fill up? Then to open and ventilate the interior spaces afterwards?

You'll be doing this 8 times every time you fill up which increases the probability of an issue.
Old 11-07-2017, 16:51   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Where is this utopian hell?
https://www.portseattle.org/Marinas/...ok%20_2011.pdf

Read page 7. This is not a unique rule. It is quite common.