Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2021, 09:57   #1

Boat: Tartan 33
Transport CA to WA

I am considering buying a 40 ft boat in CA (San Diego to take the worse case scenario) and bring it to WA (I don't know the exact boat yet) to extend my search idea.

I am trying to have a rough idea of how much it will cost and the best way to do so (sea delivery or road).

I contacted a company that has a cost of 1000$ per day but will not give me any estimate.

Does anybody have a very high-level idea of what we are looking for in cost?
maijipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2021, 19:28   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 41 DS
Re: Transport CA to WA

Hi..

Last year I almost bought a Jenneau 45DS in Washington. After all was said and done, the best way to bring it to Ventura, Ca was by sea. They needed a captain and 2 crews. You are responsible for crew transportation to and from and hotel, air fair, and meals.... It was going to cost about 9-10k. The price is not set, because if the weather is bad and it takes longer...your cost.
The problem with trucking is that you have to take things apart..secure it ...wrap it... and put it back together again and risks of damage during transportation. You can also ask the sales agent in San Diego...they do this all the time.
That was last year, this year could be different.

Good Luck.
Abe
sailingabe41ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2021, 20:11   #3

Recommend that you sail it yourself; isn't that the reason for buying a boat?

Heck it is only two States distance apart. Not like having to voyage past all 11 States between [Miami], Florida and Maine on the east coast.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2021, 20:35   #4

Two options:

1. Truck

2. Sail

In 2016 I moved to BC from SF. For my 34 foot boat, truck was $3500 to $4000 PLUS de and re rig. Fiigure $1k at least each end.

I sailed. I'd spent years researching that trip and learned that August had the lightest winds. We essentially motored 165 hours, harbor hopping all the way. One week stuck in Ft. Bragg, otherwise on the move.

Thousands have sailed from LA to SF, that's a "known."

Your boat, your choice.

Quote:
Heck it is only two States distance apart. Not like having to voyage past all 11 States between [Miami], Florida and Maine on the east coast.

^^^Humor at its best.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2021, 21:35   #5

Boat: '71 Cruise-A-Home Corsair 40' & Fiberform 28'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Recommend that you sail it yourself; isn't that the reason for buying a boat?

I can't think of a time I read a post of yours i disagreed with, so I assume this one is a troll/joke.
goguygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2021, 21:58   #6

Sorry, Stu - missed your remark or I wouldn't have posted that!
And of course, I am back to agreeing with Montanan on everything said.
Old 30-06-2021, 23:01   #7

Road delivery prices have increased dramatically.

In my case it made sense to have a trailer custom built and pay a friend for transport.
There are several boat transport companies which will haul up I-5.

For reference, 3 years ago I was quoted 4.5k for my 40' height legal power boat from S. Oregon to Everett WA. Recently it has jumped to 6k.

Ten years ago I was quoted 2400, Tacoma to Portland. Instead, me and a buddy motored down, and that's about what it cost me in fuel.

One of the fantastic trips of my life.
Old 01-07-2021, 00:37   #8

Boat: CL52

What is the boat?
Captain Bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 06:47   #9

Or you could purchase the boat in San Diego, and move south from Washington to make a new home in SoCal, and then not need to sail north the entire length of the Best Coast.

Options one should consider all options.

And I believe it has been pleasantly cooler in San Diego, mid-60's to mid-70's, recently than in the pacific northwest, or at least cooler than Montana, [and just up the road 99F at Glacier National Park, soon to be Glacierless National Park, WTF!]. They finished snow plowing to complete the opening of the Going to the Sun Road through the park just five days ago which is essentially the opening of the park for the season. Another 60 days and it could be closing for winter.

Either place, San Diego or Washington State, you will floating on the same pond.
Old 01-07-2021, 06:51   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by goguygo View Post
I can't think of a time I read a post of yours i disagreed with, so I assume this one is a troll/joke.
Assumed correctly, humor often intended, trolling only rarely.
Old 01-07-2021, 07:03   #11

That route can be a pain as your against prevailing winds and current so pick your month..August is a good choice as previously mentioned and prepare to motor the whole distance harbor hopping your way north. If your in decent conditions don't stop as a certain amount of good luck is involved with making this passage in reasonable comfort...Carry lots of fuel. Educate yourself on bar crossing.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 08:43   #12

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

The wear and tear on a boat sailing up that coast can be extensive, and costly. Plus, the boat is new to you and you may not know all the systems which need attention.

These were the reasons we chose to ship our boat from Pt Richmond, CA, to Seattle (the cost was reasonable, 35 years ago). Plus it was fast.

I flew to CA with one friend and we met the previous owner. With a few guys from the shipyard we loaded the boat on a trailer and disassembled the mast and lifeline stanchion's and packed everything. (We arrived in CA on Wed's morning and 7 people finished the job on Weds evening.) At 6:00PM Weds the truck driver rolled out of the boat yard and said he'd hit the road in the morning Thurs. We paid the shipyard and flew home.

Friday morning from my office window I saw my boat on the trailer rolling up the freeway in Seattle and I drove to the Seaview boat yard to supervise unloading the boat. On Friday and Saturday my daughter and I painted the bottom while Judy put the mast together. Sunday we stepped the mast and went sailing, adjusted the rig. On the next Weds we put a crew on and did a practice. The following Saturday we sailed in a 75 mile race.

This method was quick and easy and the boat arrived in exactly the same shape as when we loaded it, and we were sailing in Seattle in four days. We could not have done this if we chose to sail the boat up the coast, and besides, it was not ready for that kind of trip.
Old 01-07-2021, 09:11   #13

Boat: Tartan 33

Thx for your feedback. Very useful.

I would love to sail her up north, but I just don't have the opportunity to take so many vacations. Also, I need to add at least 1 week, maybe 2, of getting to know the boat, fix what needs to be fixed etc...

Moving to San Diego. Should speak with my boss

The road is definitively faster.
maijipo is offline   Reply With Quote