Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2016, 06:19   #1

Boat: Irwin 41 cc Ketch
Send a message via Yahoo to fishsail18
Transferring Documentation

Hi all I just purchased a 41 Ketch that was previously documented in Miami FL. I was online looking to transfer the documentation over to me. There are a couple web sites that make it easy however how do I trust them? They ask some personal questions SS # CC# etc... and a fee of $450.00 does that sound legit?
fishsail18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 06:57   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Transferring Documentation

one does not transfer ownership papers. one applies for new documentation of boat under your own name. one should also do a lien check as well.
services charge a little under 300 usd for this.
doing it yourself is less than 100 usd.
450 usd is ridiculously high. \
donot give ssn over interwebzzz.. too many red flags on your deal. go to uscg nvdc. that site is real. the others are probably scams unless they are registered documentation services with a good reputation. dona jenkins is one of those good ones.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 17:32   #3

Boat: 1983 Viking 44

We're going through this process and are using a documentation service - it's costing a couple hundred bucks but is saving us a lot of time and includes a lien search. We've heard from several people that the USCG is a couple months behind on new vessel documentation (including when a new owner buys a previously documented boat) so it may take longer than expected. Based on the fact that we gave them power of attorney to represent us with the USCG, I'd definitely choose a reputable service that comes highly recommended!
RodMalcolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 08:03   #4

Boat: Irwin 41 cc Ketch
Send a message via Yahoo to fishsail18

I say transfer because the Doc number stays with the boat from what I'm told. And yes we did a title search and all is clear. There was too much didn't make sense on that site. We found a gov. site that transfer is only $82.00 makes much better sense and no important info being asked for.
fishsail18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 08:11   #5

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

OP: You use the term "documented" but refer to "FL". Normally, "documented" refers to Federal level documemtation, not State specific. Whereas, "registered" normally refers to State level regiatration. Which is it?

Regardless, I agree with others: using a documentation service is not relativley expensive, saves you a lot of hassle, and ensures it gets done right.

If it is Federally Documented, then visit the NVDC site first as suggested for the straight info.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 08:25   #6

I highly recommend Coastal Documentation in Spruce Head Maine. The woman- Susan Ellis really knows her stuff and charges a nominal fee for her services.
I think it was $125 or $150 plus the normal federal cost. Just a satisfied customer Coastal Documentation of Spruce Head, Maine
maine50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 08:54   #7

The CG told me that the fees are around $100. However, if you do this online, the fees are $450. They explained to me that online applications are assigned an agent who will work with you. They also explained that online applications receive a "travelling letter" that allows you to use the vessel for up to 6 months while your application is in process. Technically, you cannot legally use your vessel until the new documentation is received, and this can take up to 6 months. Based on this call, it seems at though the CG has found a way to get an extra $350 out of you based on their own back log. With that said, I did do the online application, there was an issue, and my "agent" did work with me over the phone to resolve the issue promptly. All of this information was directly obtained by calling the CG vessel documentation office/division.
Ruddy Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 15:30   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruddy Duck View Post
... All of this information was directly obtained by calling the CG vessel documentation office/division.
Yes, Ive always found the staff a NVDC very easy to work with and genuinley interested in doing a good job (unlike many bureaucrats).

Their current extreme back log I assume is due to budget cuts and/or reallocation of staff to Homeland Security related tasks.

Apparently minimal budget for automating these functions too. Seems to me almost all of their routine transactions could be relativley easily automated.
Old 28-09-2016, 14:08   #9

Please disregard my above post. I now realize I got scammed by an agency presenting themselves as the CG. It became clear after reading another recent thread on this site. I'd delete it if I knew how, but don't see the option. Don't want bad information sitting out there for others to rely on.

On the bright side, I did get my Documentation done quickly. Live and learn I suppose.
Ruddy Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 09:55   #10

Boat: Cape Dory 25

I ended up doing this on my own. I down loaded the forms off the CG web site and sent them in. I will report back if it works or not.
fishsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:13   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruddy Duck View Post
Please disregard my above post. I now realize I got scammed by an agency presenting themselves as the CG. It became clear after reading another recent thread on this site. I'd delete it if I knew how, but don't see the option. Don't want bad information sitting out there for others to rely on.

On the bright side, I did get my Documentation done quickly. Live and learn I suppose.
The real deal (USCG NVDC):

https://www.uscg.mil/nvdc/
Old 02-10-2016, 09:34   #12

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
The real deal (USCG NVDC):

https://www.uscg.mil/nvdc/
+1

I've found going going straight to the source online to be reasonably easy as far as government paperwork goes anyways.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:19   #13

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Guys, if you used a service, could you please let us know who, & also how long things took. Links would be helpful as well. Thanks

BTW, last I knew, doing a lien search/title search was part of the pre-purchase proceedure. Has something changed with this of late? As it would suck to buy a boat which had a $20k lien on it. And one also wants to make sure that the person signing the title over to you is someone who can legally do so, right?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:20   #14

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishsail18 View Post
I say transfer because the Doc number stays with the boat from what I'm told. And yes we did a title search and all is clear. There was too much didn't make sense on that site. We found a gov. site that transfer is only $82.00 makes much better sense and no important info being asked for.
If you are talking USCG documentation, just do it yourself. If there is a lien on the boat that is registered with them they will tell you. It is easy and cheap and likely to be faster than using an intermediary. A change in title in Washington state is easy as well to do it yourself. I would imagine it would be in FL as well. If there is a sales tax they will tell you. You will need a bill of sale for the USCG and FL. Keep copies of every thing.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
documentation, men