Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2016, 17:54   #1

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Tragic situation in Tasmania

Bodies of two men found onboard motor cruiser in Hobart's Prince of Wales Bay - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
Old 10-01-2016, 18:19   #2

Re: Tragic situation in Tasmania

looking at the pic it was a sailboat. They are thinking it was a gas leak it carbon monoxide. By the way how many sailors gave gas and monoxide alarms inside their boats I wonder. ?
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 19:06   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
looking at the pic it was a sailboat. They are thinking it was a gas leak it carbon monoxide. By the way how many sailors gave gas and monoxide alarms inside their boats I wonder. ?
It's the ABC

That is probably a stock photo, not one taken showing the boat in question.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 19:12   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
It's the ABC

Actually, the ABC often indicates in their photo caption if they are using a stock photo. The caption in this case is a bit odd, so I think it is 50/50 whether either of the vessels in the photo are involved.

I suppose it would be a bit insensitive to use photos of the boats until relatives have been informed?

I do hope we find out more. I know that sounds a bit ghoulish but if there is something to be learned from such a tragedy it would be a shame if the information never came out, except in a coroner's report in maybe a year or more. I can't blame the press but the less sensational information from these sorts of stories can be very hard to find.

Matt
Old 10-01-2016, 19:21   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
It's the ABC

The Hobart Mercury shows a different picture, so you may be right.

nocookies | The Mercury
Old 10-01-2016, 20:39   #6

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Actually, the ABC often indicates in their photo caption if they are using a stock photo. The caption in this case is a bit odd, so I think it is 50/50 whether either of the vessels in the photo are involved.

I suppose it would be a bit insensitive to use photos of the boats until relatives have been informed?

I do hope we find out more. I know that sounds a bit ghoulish but if there is something to be learned from such a tragedy it would be a shame if the information never came out, except in a coroner's report in maybe a year or more. I can't blame the press but the less sensational information from these sorts of stories can be very hard to find.

Matt
Imo, not at all ghouish Matt.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 21:55   #7

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
Sorry...It was a powerboat... the mast you see is from a sailboat behind the powerboat.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 22:51   #8

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.

A little girl, age 7, at Bicheno, was air lifted from the vessel accompanied by her Dad on the day before the 2 men were discovered. The vessel was a10m cruiser.
The little girl was transported because of illness.
Sad.
Old 10-01-2016, 23:12   #9

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

They are exploring the possibility it was from a 'petrol generator' that was on board. But they are also examining LPG equipment on board.

I know of the victims and the boat called the Double B. Very sad situation.

A few years ago a group of friends died in a caravan up in our highlands from similar thing.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 23:14   #10

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post

Matt
It is the vessel in the picture and I think your right, there will definitely be lessons to be learned from this one. As a result of this I've told my wife I'm organising a plumber to put in a gas valve near my stove and I'll have them installed the automatic shut off I've had stored in a cupboard at home for quite a few years now.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 23:20   #11

Old 11-01-2016, 01:45   #12

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold

Very sad. The TV news showed the boat and said the girl and father(boat owner) became ill at Bichenoa and were taken to hospital. The two men motored the boat back to Hobart. The owner came to the marina to bring breakfast to the men and found them dead. Sounds like a generator or the oven/stove.
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 01:48   #13

Police ARE REPORTED !! to have said that they suspected a petrol generator, like mine.
Old 11-01-2016, 02:31   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
It is the vessel in the picture and I think your right, there will definitely be lessons to be learned from this one. As a result of this I've told my wife I'm organising a plumber to put in a gas valve near my stove and I'll have them installed the automatic shut off I've had stored in a cupboard at home for quite a few years now.
Glad to see people are learning from this experience. I for sure have. Carbon monoxide and seperate gas sensor alarms in all sections of my cat are now mandatory. As well as super diligence on all gas connections.

Makes me want to go crazy with solar and have an electric stove. But I think total awareness of the dangers and proper sensors throughout is absolutely necessary.

I think this should receive the widest possible discussion throughout all of the boating world. IMHO. My sympathies are with the grieving family's.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 03:30   #15

Boat: 55' sloop.

The fact that the girl became ill prior to the incident and had to be airlifted off the boat likely saved her and her father but is also likely an indication that the problem was indeed CO poisoning, which can mimic flu symptoms and similar prior to fatality. Could easily have been something as simple as a leaking seal on a water separated, clean burning engine exhaust. I have been on a boat where backpressure (due to motoring in a big following sea) had led to a seal blowout in a mixing elbow, in advance of the mixed section. The only indication of a problem was a faint smell and the pressure of the escaping gas on my hand when I checked the engine for leaks. Quicksteel solved it temporarily at that time. But yes, CO and multi gas alarms are de rigeur.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote