Old 13-01-2012, 20:01   #91
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Top Ten Most Inspirational Sailors

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Exactly, they were small boats

You guys know the story of Tromp who tied a broom to his mast after a victory against the English? It was to show he wiped/swept them off the sea (like Minaret already hinted at I think ) Legends!

ciao!
Nick.
The thing to remember about that is that he did it while sailing up the Thames, hence in full view of the English. Pretty in your face! The problem with listing military types as your inspirational heroes is that one countries hero is anothers villain. That's why I prefer men like Cook for my historical marine inspiration; even though he was Navy, he was more explorer than warrior. Same for Shackleton, Amundsen, Nansen. No stain of violence is good. Someone listed Cristobal Colon (Colombus), not sure how inspiring he was. His journals are fascinating reading, but he was not a nice man.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 20:07   #92

Boat: 33ft sloop

I think each county has it's living legends when it comes to sailing. There are also unfogettable characters who are now lost in the annuals of history. Holland played some interesting part.
Let's name a few Dutchmen that were real sailors, sailors on purpose, sailors with a mission!
Conny van Rietschoten: - twice ATW with his unfortgettable Flyer I and II, built at Huisman in Vollenhove. I knew Wolter Huisman personally, a charismatic character!

Herman Janssen: "En de Horizon zeilde mee" - A man who sailed solo around the world in his smallish Pioneer designed by Ricus Van de Stadt.
I met Herman Janssen in IJmuiden and had a long chat with him. Just like Henk van de Velde, he dived into the deeper meaning of life and sailing. A very solitary character!

And of course Henk de Velde who might not be that very well known internationally but is (or was) a pure purpose sailer. Sailing for the sailing. A man who kept the Dutch sailingmagazines for many years busy.

Another name long forgotten: Eilco Casemier, a man with a well known restaurant decided to cruise the world solo. His Bylgia sails still around somewhere ......

Gerard Dijkstra, now a famous yachtdesigner started to sail the Singlehanded Transatlantic, twice as I remember. Now sailing to the arctic hemispheres in his "Bestevaer 53" .........

And who was the first sailor entering the North-west passage? I forgot his name.

The Dutch never had the phenomenal wealth like the ones of the famous Thomas Lipton to build the big class of ships called the J-Class; also the British have a long list of unforgettable sailors now faded in the past ......
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 21:07   #93

Boat: Looking for a new boat

Dont forget Web Chiles.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 23:22   #94

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG View Post
I think each county has it's living legends when it comes to sailing. There are also unfogettable characters who are now lost in the annuals of history. Holland played some interesting part.
Let's name a few Dutchmen that were real sailors, sailors on purpose, sailors with a mission!
Conny van Rietschoten: - twice ATW with his unfortgettable Flyer I and II, built at Huisman in Vollenhove. I knew Wolter Huisman personally, a charismatic character!

Herman Janssen: "En de Horizon zeilde mee" - A man who sailed solo around the world in his smallish Pioneer designed by Ricus Van de Stadt.
I met Herman Janssen in IJmuiden and had a long chat with him. Just like Henk van de Velde, he dived into the deeper meaning of life and sailing. A very solitary character!

And of course Henk de Velde who might not be that very well known internationally but is (or was) a pure purpose sailer. Sailing for the sailing. A man who kept the Dutch sailingmagazines for many years busy.

Another name long forgotten: Eilco Casemier, a man with a well known restaurant decided to cruise the world solo. His Bylgia sails still around somewhere ......

Gerard Dijkstra, now a famous yachtdesigner started to sail the Singlehanded Transatlantic, twice as I remember. Now sailing to the arctic hemispheres in his "Bestevaer 53" .........

And who was the first sailor entering the North-west passage? I forgot his name.

The Dutch never had the phenomenal wealth like the ones of the famous Thomas Lipton to build the big class of ships called the J-Class; also the British have a long list of unforgettable sailors now faded in the past ......
Any Van Cleef's in that mix? I cant find any reference to boats in the family tree.
Old 13-01-2012, 23:45   #95
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

for me: web chiles and hal roth and eric hiscock.
Old 14-01-2012, 00:58   #96

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'

Here's someone who might not have otherwise made the list: David Lewis? I found a copy of his "Ice Bird" in a second hand book store a few months back. Against the exploits of the famous circumnavigators this book including his philosophies and exploits stands as one of my most inspirational reads to date. Along with people like Captain Bligh, Slocum, Dumas, Moitessier, Robin Knox Johnston and the Pardeys, Lewis makes my top 10!

http://www.amazon.com/Ice-Bird-David.../dp/0713664118

The sailor who set out to see it all - smh.com.au
Old 14-01-2012, 01:52   #97
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Yep - see post 40
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 02:19   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane View Post
Here's someone who might not have otherwise made the list: David Lewis? I found a copy of his "Ice Bird" in a second hand book store a few months back. Against the exploits of the famous circumnavigators this book including his philosophies and exploits stands as one of my most inspirational reads to date. Along with people like Captain Bligh, Slocum, Dumas, Moitessier, Robin Knox Johnston and the Pardeys, Lewis makes my top 10!

Amazon.com: Ice Bird (9780713664119): David Lewis: Books

The sailor who set out to see it all - smh.com.au
A big +1 from me...

B2449 Yacht and parts, full size, sloop "Ice Bird", steel / plastic / timber, designed by Dick Taylor, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, 1962, sailed by Dr David Lewis to Antarctica 1972-1974 - Powerhouse Museum Collection
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 02:33   #99

Boat: 33ft sloop

@ SurferShane

How come that I never heard of him? Must be a fantastic man - most equal to Chichester and maybe more remarkable since his boat is of the simplest design and equipment.
That might, however be part of the story.
Actually great!
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 03:57   #100
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret
The thing to remember about that is that he did it while sailing up the Thames, hence in full view of the English. Pretty in your face! The problem with listing military types as your inspirational heroes is that one countries hero is anothers villain.
Ain't that courageous?!

We must never forget to try and see things like they happened in those times. A good war was often desired (promotions, prizes, excitement) and the Dutch and English only fought their wars when there were no French or Spanish to go after, in which case the Dutch and English were suddenly allies (both protestant is why)

The Spanish however never came to see one of Hollands biggest heroes, Admiral Piet Heyn, as such. In a museum in Havanna he is still called a pirate. Attacking and capturing the armada incl. all the riches plundered from South America in plain view of Havanna must have left some bad memories there in those days They didn't know he was supported and supplied by Jamaica besides the Dutch!

ciao!
Nick.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 04:17   #101

Boat: Parkins Herreshoff 28

must add donald street for his tireless tinkering and engineless antics on iolaire
pressuredrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 09:44   #102
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

What about good old Fatty Goodlander? Cruising on a budget for his whole life. Pretty inspiring!
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 10:45   #103

Boat: Colvin Gazelle

Who did Motessier turn to for inspiration in the southern storms?
Vito Dumas sailed great distances in an open cockpit with news papers stuffed under his dapper suit in and around the U-boats of ww2
Great read his book!
Old 14-01-2012, 17:35   #104
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi

Ain't that courageous?!

We must never forget to try and see things like they happened in those times. A good war was often desired (promotions, prizes, excitement) and the Dutch and English only fought their wars when there were no French or Spanish to go after, in which case the Dutch and English were suddenly allies (both protestant is why)

ciao!
Nick.
Read more of your naval history nick. The Dutch fought the English repeatedly ( 4 Anglo Dutch wars) mainly over Dutch dominance of commercial sea trade. This was mostly in the 17and 18 th century . Alliances based on religion didn't hold a lot of water . By the time of the napolenic conflicts the Dutch sea power was almost decimated ( the French having annexed the Netherlands ) the battle of camperdown then finished off the Dutch navy. The Dutch and the English never allied against the " catholic " monarchs to any extent. Technically during the earlier thirty years war England was supposed to aid Protestant causes in Europe , in fact Charles 1 showed little inclination to do so, a fact that contributed to his overthrow. The resulting political and military chaos effectively prevented England from participating. Cromwell was deeply antagonistic towards the Dutch republic.

No the Dutch had admirable sea superiority right through the 17and 18th centuries and that got up England's wick. They never really ever saw themselves on the " same side". Even william of orange accession to the throne of England effectively lead to the massive decline of Dutch power as he clearly favoured developing his adopted countries interests over his own.

Nor was any of these wars fought on prizes or excitement. The thirty years war was one of the bloodiest conflicts on European soil the Anglo Dutch wars were based on ecomonic subjugation. You're reading too much Patrick o Brian. The royal navy suffered enormous defeats at the hands of the Dutch and equally in the late 18th and early 19th century when British industrial production and sea power gave them an unrivalled navy they paid back the Dutch in kind.

But yes Ruyter Tromp x2 were major sea heroes and should be on a par with other naval officers we in the English word know about. however they were more military heros then sea fairing ones.

But I like others specifically omitted naval officers from my list ( cook and shakleton were primarily explorers) as really their endeavours were not part of a personal desire rather as part of a requirement of service.
Old 14-01-2012, 17:50   #105

Boat: Catalina 30

Wow. I am way out of my league here.
I think of Thor Hyerdahl and Kon Tiki. The early navigators including Magellen and Cook. Along with Capt. Allnut, Humphrey Bogart in African Queen. Popeye (seriously). Astronauts, our mediums may be different but they are doing the same as we. And, my Uncle Roger.