Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2014, 11:20   #91

Boat: Various
Re: Tolerance

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
OK I’ll add more to my thoughts about tribes.
For as long as mankind has been on this earth we have formed tribes for a whole bunch of reasons from personal safety to sharing food/ideas. We have a capability today to instantly size people up by just looking at their body language and how they present themselves without even speaking to them. This has been with us for thousands of years as when we met someone on a back wood trail a few thousand years ago we needed to know instantly whether friend or foe.
We have big tribes; countries are big tribes as are religions. We have middle sized tribes like the rich and poor and we have smaller tribes like gays/straights and real little ones like mono hull sailors and multihull sailors or maybe cruisers and racers, LOL

Each of these groups feel better when they are with their own tribe and are less tolerant of others.

We know you're right about many but we just personally have never had those feelings. We don't feel people from our country or our part of the country are better and we like those from everywhere, just may not speak the language. We have friends who are beyond rich and very poor friends and value them all. Some of our best friends are lesbian couples and we have close friends who are a gay couple. And we actually have more boater friends who have boats very different from ours than those similar.

Americans and the Middle East countries don’t have a lot in common other than money. Christians and Muslims you might think had a lot in common but in fact don’t. Muslims have a couple of sub tribes that kill each other every day. Christians have themselves formed all sorts of different tribes and each is the only true way to salvation and from time to time they kill each other as well. Killing is of course the ultimate form of intolerance.
Our desire to be in a tribe goes right back in time and unfortunately has been used against us as a way to control behavior. I don’t see this ever changing.
Sadly more wars have been over religion than any other issue. That makes no sense to us, but it's a reality we recognize. There is no religion that in it's pure form teaches one to kill. We respect those of all religions.

Maybe we've just defined the tribe we do belong to though and it's a very small one. We're open to all views and all people. Our only prejudices are toward behaviors and hate and hurting others. We consider people of all sexual inclinations, all nationalities, all religions to be truly equal and potential friends. We've learned from so many with backgrounds unlike ours. I had an assistant for years who was from India and Hindu and loved to hear about her religious celebrations and traditions. My secretary was Jamaican. We have friends of all political views although we do admit to avoiding people espousing hate for the most part including some of my family. So, yes, we are part of a tribe that doesn't allow doctrines of hate and bigotry.

And you're right I guess as to our tribe. Our friends are all unique and different except in one respect and that is they are all open minded, tolerant and respectful of others, and try to treat all other humans with love, care and dignity.

So I guess in choosing not to be tribal in the sense you've indicated, we've chosen to be tribal in another sense.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:22   #92

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeofreilly57 View Post
"There's the key (I'm thinking civility would be a more accurate word). I don't mind a good discussion/debate/argument.. But once it's name calling, it's all over." "Quote"

I agree on this point, disagreeing or pointing out a fatal flaw in someones reasoning is part of any normal discourse, once the name calling starts the person doing it loses all credibility and the thread tends to wander away.......
I leave politics and anything close to it out of the picture entirely.
As for greenhouse gasses, my sailing buddies let out huge quantities, usually after a few beers, then the real opinions come out!
I won't tell anyone how to cross an ocean but I can opine about dropping a keel or rebuilding a diesel, right now I'm rebuilding a waste holding system on my boat, talk about greenhouse gasses. Oiy.
I agree perhaps civility or respect would have been a better word.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:30   #93
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

One comment about using real name on forums. Myself I don't use my real name. That makes it far to easy to find out who I am and more importantly where I live. Last thing I need is a stalker.

But I use the same screen name on all forums I'm on. Plus quite a few here have found me on social sites and know exactly who I is. Which is pretty amaizing as I'm not at all easy to find.

So from a personal safety standpoint, I'm hiding behind an alias.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:32   #94

BandB that's a good tribe to be in, I'd like to think I'm a member as well.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 12:28   #95
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
One comment about using real name on forums. Myself I don't use my real name. That makes it far to easy to find out who I am and more importantly where I live. Last thing I need is a stalker.

But I use the same screen name on all forums I'm on. Plus quite a few here have found me on social sites and know exactly who I is. Which is pretty amaizing as I'm not at all easy to find.

So from a personal safety standpoint, I'm hiding behind an alias.
I agree with you sailorchic.
Take a look at this video. Ok the guy is a comedian, and a lot of his videos are slapstick, but this one is serious. Take a look what happens when he starts talking to absolute strangers that he has gathered personal information about them from Social Media that they put on the net:
LBW399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 12:33   #96

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

This thread has bordered on erudite until someone brought up anchors and Mono's and multis. In the case of anchors there can be no tolerance! The only good anchor is the one on the bow of my boat, despite the fact that the boat drags it at least once a year. All supposedly factual attempts to say otherwise are rubbish! I have the conviction of my faith in that anchor. Facts are stupid things, especially regarding ground tackle. I will not tolerate facts when my anchor is at stake.😇
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 13:07   #97
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceannavigator View Post
Wow... the identities and usernames all change from time to time, but the boating community is actually quite small. I've been aboard your boat, Canibul! lol But I will not reveal my identity.

hmmm. Melbourne FL 2012? A visitor from Key West? Or perhaps...heading north in a Lagoon?

Not that many people have been on the boat since we bought it. It's basically a construction site at the moment.
Old 11-04-2014, 13:22   #98

Boat: Catalina 387

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
This thread has bordered on erudite
Great.. Big words and everything... A grammar post can't be too far behind

On a serious note, I wanna be in BandB's tribe.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 13:31   #99
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Lets all get together and purchase the Rio Dulce.
Old 11-04-2014, 13:32   #100
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBW399 View Post
I agree with you sailorchic.
Take a look at this video. Ok the guy is a comedian, and a lot of his videos are slapstick, but this one is serious. Take a look what happens when he starts talking to absolute strangers that he has gathered personal information about them from Social Media that they put on the net:
That is delightfully creepy!..
Old 11-04-2014, 14:10   #101

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

You guys have got me going on this one! I realize that where people have posted a photo of themselves, I look at it when I'm writing to them, or hold the image of it in my mind while I'm doing it. Three examples come to mind, SailorChic34, newt, MikeOReilly, and they have a lot of *personhood* for me.
More abstract avatars lessen that sense.

Some people do as I do, and have a picture of the boat. This also works for me. I know what size boat they have, some idea of where they are. Advice appropriate for NYC may not fit for So Cal. So, for me, complete avatars help me do what I want to do here.

I also have the somewhat vague notion that other CF people in the areas we sail may recognize the boat and come and make themselves known to us, the boat perhaps being more unique than a picture of us. The pics are pics of us doing what we do. Both Jim's and mine were taken in Tasmania. The one he uses was taken as a birthday present for me by him; the other, that i use is of the boat from a friend's boat after we'd past SW Cape on our way to Port Davey.

Privacy is an interesting issue, and might be worth its own thread. It is part of cultural norms, and can be as robertsailor described according to his discussion of "tribes", which I had called "communities."

Ann
Old 11-04-2014, 14:12   #102
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Let's have a big group hug, and get on with talking about sailing , it's getting very existentialist around here a d I'm getting worried lol

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-04-2014, 16:27   #103
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

All I have to do is say I'm using a $65 * knockoff Bruce anchor to hold the boat in one spot, and things should devolve rather quickly to the CF norm.....

* closeout sale plus defenders yearly warehouse deduct a few years ago. Darn think cost $1.50 a pound.

I've not painted it pink yet either...
Old 11-04-2014, 16:31   #104

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
All I have to do is say I'm using a $65 * knockoff Bruce anchor to hold the boat in one spot, and things should devolve rather quickly to the CF norm.....

* closeout sale plus defenders yearly warehouse deduct a few years ago. Darn think cost $1.50 a pound.

I've not painted it pink yet either...
I don't know about that.

What kind of guns do you have to protect that anchor from pirates?

Old 11-04-2014, 16:37   #105
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelnik View Post
I don't know about that.

What kind of guns do you have to protect that anchor from pirates?

No guns aboard, just a really grumpy cat.