Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2014, 16:41   #106
cruiser

Re: Tolerance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
hmmm. Melbourne FL 2012? A visitor from Key West? Or perhaps...heading north in a Lagoon?

Not that many people have been on the boat since we bought it. It's basically a construction site at the moment.

It was longer ago. But, I'm keeping a low internet profile.
oceannavigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 17:51   #107

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
You guys have got me going on this one! I realize that where people have posted a photo of themselves, I look at it when I'm writing to them, or hold the image of it in my mind while I'm doing it. Three examples come to mind, SailorChic34, newt, MikeOReilly, and they have a lot of *personhood* for me.
More abstract avatars lessen that sense.

Some people do as I do, and have a picture of the boat. This also works for me. I know what size boat they have, some idea of where they are. Advice appropriate for NYC may not fit for So Cal. So, for me, complete avatars help me do what I want to do here.
I too like the personal avatars Ann. They tell me something about the real person, or at very least the person they're trying to be. I like boat avatars. I might swap mine someday -- my boat's a lot more attractive to look at that I am, for sure .

With regard to privacy issues, I think I'm on the overly-cautiious scale. I am quite discriminating about the kind of personal info I give out over public media like CF. I think there is a way of being more human, while still retaining necessary boundaries. But I agree one must be careful.
Old 11-04-2014, 17:58   #108

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
No guns aboard, just a really grumpy cat.
Oh, a cat person . . .

Well, my 2 dogs outnumber your cat, and since they don't like cats, the cat must go.
You need to conform to dogism if you are to be accepted.

This tolerance bit can only go so far!

Old 11-04-2014, 18:50   #109
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
Lets all get together and purchase the Rio Dulce.

I've lost track of the thread

But please keep me updated on this
Old 11-04-2014, 20:22   #110

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Hey, can you ask if this guy wants to be a Mod, and take care of any tolerance issues?

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...whPvS-Gvm8ufKf
Old 11-04-2014, 20:28   #111

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

But isn't there a quote somewhere about civil democracy having to do with a well-armed cat contesting the decision of the two dogs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelnik View Post
Oh, a cat person . . .

Well, my 2 dogs outnumber your cat, and since they don't like cats, the cat must go.
You need to conform to dogism if you are to be accepted.

This tolerance bit can only go so far!

Old 11-04-2014, 20:35   #112

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

This thread has definitely not contributed to my boating enjoyment. This did:

Old 11-04-2014, 20:37   #113

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgscpat View Post
But isn't there a quote somewhere about civil democracy having to do with a well-armed cat contesting the decision of the two dogs?
But sailorchic34 said there were no guns aboard, so the cat can't be that well armed against my ferocious furballs!
Old 11-04-2014, 20:53   #114

Boat: Mariner 40 Ketch

Lets go sailing! It cures most social issues

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1397274773311.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	79167  
Old 11-04-2014, 21:02   #115
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Is it possible to sail with a crew anonymously?
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 21:19   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Casey View Post
I'm referring to "understanding" in the cognitive hierarchy sense. My simplified model: Data => Information =>Knowledge => Understanding
... but you missed one stage, the experience, between knowledge and understanding.

Richard_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 21:47   #117
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelnik View Post
But sailorchic34 said there were no guns aboard, so the cat can't be that well armed against my ferocious furballs!
Mr Timmy aka grumpy cat wears a dog collar. He's not a small cat. He's also not very tolerant with man nor beast. He's chased off some pretty big dogs before
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 22:59   #118

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Should we tolerate what we think is wrong? i.e. morally wrong?

How strongly should we speak out? if at all? To what extent should we jeopardize our privacy or livelihood for principles?

All philosophical question we cannot answer on this forum because the answers get into the dreaded politics.

So lets go sailing instead.

I don't know how to post links, but if you check out the Australian Wooden Boat Festival newsletter for this month, there are some nice boat pics there.

Ann
Old 12-04-2014, 09:07   #119

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Should we tolerate what we think is wrong? i.e. morally wrong?

How strongly should we speak out? if at all? To what extent should we jeopardize our privacy or livelihood for principles?

All philosophical question we cannot answer on this forum because the answers get into the dreaded politics.

So lets go sailing instead.

I don't know how to post links, but if you check out the Australian Wooden Boat Festival newsletter for this month, there are some nice boat pics there.

Ann
I must equally ask though Ann, this question. Should we tolerate insults, personal attacks, meanness toward others and I'm asking, not should we in the greater society and world we live in, but should they be present on this forum.

I know how I react to them in my personal offline life and that is I don't tolerate hatred, ugliness toward others, bigotry. However, in a one on one situation it's easy to just avoid those. In a forum where they infiltrate threads, it becomes more difficult.

And, yes, we do stand up against those things we consider to be morally wrong but even that can be done in a civil manner. Perhaps best if express our disagreement with the act or the words but show it somehow without it coming across as disdain or hatred toward the person.

I don't have all the answers by any means. I just know some real ugliness expressed here and in the world at large is quite disturbing to me. I also believe that has increased greatly because people have an audience for it.

I will get very personal for a moment with something not forum related, not for opinions, but just as an example of the sadness I find in some of it. I have cousins and aunts (uncles mostly deceased) that I grew up around, loving. I use to look forward to holidays when we would all gather. But back then it was centered on food, sports, games, and just fun together. I did not realize until I was an adult what some of their views are. I was most disappointed to find such religious people filled with so much hatred, bigotry, racism, and ugliness. I rarely visit them now. Primarily a few hours on Christmas Day. I know they look at our attitudes and beliefs with equal disdain. I'm sure they don't approve of much about us, starting with even such simple things as how my wife dresses. I can only imagine what they say after we leave. I try to enjoy their company but within a couple of hours they will always stray into some venomous attack of some person or some group of people. They'll turn their hero on television and suddenly we'll be listening to someone who committed multiple acts of sexual harassment talking about the immorality of a political candidate. They'll talk about their grandson's friend based on how he dresses even though it's that very friend who has tried to get their grandson off of drugs. They talked about one cousin's minister should be fired because he smokes (and I'm about as anti-smoking as possible but assure you that minister is a good man). They'll refer to a government leader and not express difference in political views but I've honestly heard them say the best thing that could happen would be if he was assassinate. Now, I try to respect that I'm a guest in their home. If asked about something, I'll simply say as nicely as possible that I don't agree with their view. And before it gets to me too much and I lose my temper and tell them what I really think, my wife will tell me it's time to go. And each time I leave it's with sadness. I guess I long for a kinder, gentler world. My wife says it's because I'm a romantic at heart.

Now, my only purpose in starting this thread was simply I wish sometimes this forum could be a kinder, gentler world. There's too much anger in the world and I know many bring it with them here. Much of it may be justified. But then it results in attacks on others when their true anger is toward someone or something far away from here.

Each of us ultimately has to handle it in the way we best know and most appropriate for ourselves. I've found it very difficult here to be open and honest as when I have expressed opinions and clearly stated them as nothing but opinions I've found myself, not my opinions, attacked. And I've seen it happen to others repeatedly. Some choose to attack back with equal personal attacks. I know I contribute very little here compared to many of you. It's often because I simply don't like what happens when one tries. And the ugliness and name calling and condemnations I've seen in a few threads recently disappointed me greatly. And finally let me assure it wasn't just those I disagree with who disappointed me, I found myself more upset in many ways with those whose general views on the subject I actually agreed with. But neither side seemed to think those with the opposite view had a legitimate right to hold it.

Enough from me on the subject now. I just felt something had to be said. Ann, you asked, rhetorically, when we should speak out. Well, I felt that time for me was now. So did.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 09:53   #120

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Now, my only purpose in starting this thread was simply I wish sometimes this forum could be a kinder, gentler world. There's too much anger in the world and I know many bring it with them here. Much of it may be justified. But then it results in attacks on others when their true anger is toward someone or something far away from here.
Well, all I can say (again) is that a proven way to improve online civility is by demanding that users not hide behind anonymous personae. But this appears to be the one option many here won't accept. Barring this, we're left with using laws (Forum Rules) and police (moderators) to enforce proper behaviour.

This approach appears to be a reality for all all communities that grow too large (Ex: cities vs towns).