Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2011, 17:14   #1

pirate Those in Irene's path

Hoping that everyone who may be in Irene's path is safe once she passes.

So batten down the hatches and so on.....
WarmBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 19:23   #2

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: Those in Irene's path

It might have been Tuesday, or even Wednesday, when I was looking at a spaghetti map of the Irene forecasts. All of them had the storm going east of the coast; one had it make a little jog and up the Chesapeake Bay. So sure were a few of the going east forecast that one tv weather prognosticator said Irene was so far east we would have a fine and sunny weekend. Nah.

I am a bit tired right now. I just spent the entire day at an American Red Cross shelter for those displaced by the earthquake. Quite a few people with a very unusual East Coast story to tell.

I am a volunteer for the American Red Cross.

While we were doing shelter world Irene changed from an easterly direction to a "Up yours - Chesapeake Bay, Potomac Tidal". Right now, 2208 EDT, people are working on the logistics of opening shelters house and care for tens of thousands of people who could be displaced by Irene.

I volunteered for and expect to put in 12 to 16 hour shifts this weekend helping people displaced by the storm. This is what we do as Disaster Services volunteers. I have worked on many hurricanes, my first was Katrina, I know what can and possibly will happen this weekend. Yet I and all the others hope it will not.

If you are in the area and end up in a shelter ask if there is a Pam from Prince George's there. Also post a note on the bulletin board (if there is one) that you are on CF. I am sure you will not be alone.

I get some sleep tonight, I have to work tomorrow, then some sleep tomorrow night. After that? I will be a bit tired, but happy I can help people make it through their most terrible night.
Old 25-08-2011, 19:37   #3

Boat: PETERSON 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me-and-Boo
It might have been Tuesday, or even Wednesday, when I was looking at a spaghetti map of the Irene forecasts. All of them had the storm going east of the coast; one had it make a little jog and up the Chesapeake Bay. So sure were a few of the going east forecast that one tv weather prognosticator said Irene was so far east we would have a fine and sunny weekend. Nah.

I am a bit tired right now. I just spent the entire day at an American Red Cross shelter for those displaced by the earthquake. Quite a few people with a very unusual East Coast story to tell.

I am a volunteer for the American Red Cross.

While we were doing shelter world Irene changed from an easterly direction to a "Up yours - Chesapeake Bay, Potomac Tidal". Right now, 2208 EDT, people are working on the logistics of opening shelters house and care for tens of thousands of people who could be displaced by Irene.

I volunteered for and expect to put in 12 to 16 hour shifts this weekend helping people displaced by the storm. This is what we do as Disaster Services volunteers. I have worked on many hurricanes, my first was Katrina, I know what can and possibly will happen this weekend. Yet I and all the others hope it will not.

If you are in the area and end up in a shelter ask if there is a Pam from Prince George's there. Also post a note on the bulletin board (if there is one) that you are on CF. I am sure you will not be alone.

I get some sleep tonight, I have to work tomorrow, then some sleep tomorrow night. After that? I will be a bit tired, but happy I can help people make it through their most terrible night.
Thanks for your service.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 06:17   #4

To: Me and Boo...Will be thinking of you this weekend. Hope there is not too much to have to clean up. Wishing for the best.

P.S. I grew up in PG county, born in DC.
WarmBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 06:24   #5

Boat: SAGA 27 AK

There but for the grace of God go all of us. Don't underestimate this beast, stay safe, better to run and sail another day than to try to fight nature.
Old 26-08-2011, 06:29   #6

Boat: Valiant 42
Send a message via AIM to svpattyd Send a message via Yahoo to svpattyd Send a message via Skype™ to svpattyd
Just got the boat out of the water. Our daughter is a nurse and has been called into work for the weekend. I'll go over to take care of the grandcubs since the hospital told her to expect a 24 hr shift. Matt will tend to the boat. Hopefully Irene is kind to us in Galesville, MD.
svpattyd is offline   Reply With Quote