Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2014, 20:29   #91

Re: This Changing Life... better..? or worse..??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
One thing that always puts me off about meeting people sailing or RVing or biking or kayaking or whatever is all the questions they ask me. This behavior is far more commonplace now than I have ever noticed before.
Then there's the other side..

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
......so, you fend off the ladies and you came into some dough,- Why did we need to know?
I was on a cruise last week down the coast. The skipper spent the first night, ALL of it, telling us crew how much he's gonna spend on his NEXT boat. How much it's gonna cost and how much he's gonna save by screwing around and playing either stupid or smart. How he's smarter than the broker - who, BTW, does this for a living - and it's his first time buying this expensive a boat.

So, we motor out into the ocean, sloppy waves, swell and cross crap. After 45 minutes his engine sputters and dies.

Guess his old boat was telling him how it felt about his pending new boat.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 20:34   #92

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
......so, you fend off the ladies and you came into some dough,- Why did we need to know?
Geez fellas, the thread is about changing levels of civility (Re: This Changing Life... better..? or worse..??) which was the context of the comments. Context is key, gents.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 20:54   #93
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
The lagoon 39 with in mast furling Salty is enquiring about.
Naw...go for the Antares
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 21:41   #94

Boat: Various

Quote:
I love your posts! If Band"B" is ever playing on a stage in our area I'm going to show up and rock out to your music! I'll probably even buy the t-shirt,- Thanks!
Wifey B: Thanks, we'd give you a free t-shirt. Well, of course might charge a lot for the admission....just kidding.

We do love music though. Most concerts just at home though. Although we do a little holiday thing each Dec 26 that's semi public and free. Just happened many years ago a lot of people away from home and so why not have a little song fest. Only thing was no one else sang and it ended up with us.

Often wondered how it would be if we were singing on a stage as professionals. Would it be as much fun or would turning one's hobby into their livelihood take away a bit? I know one thing though, the concerts that I enjoy are those where the singers act like they're having a freaking blast too.

We enjoy life. Enjoy people. Really enjoy the water. And my hubby gives me far too much credit.

I'm too young to know if anything's changed and sure too new at cruising. Not sure it matters to me how it was and I sure don't know how it's going to be. I just try to make the most of how it is. Maybe I'm just like totally insane, but it sure is fun in my world.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2014, 01:14   #95
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Geez fellas, the thread is about changing levels of civility (Re: This Changing Life... better..? or worse..??) which was the context of the comments. Context is key, gents.
I understand B.C.
I saw the point.

If I might add a little cultural observation. As Brits, we are quite reserved (in general) and dont go in for showy displays of talking about our private matters too much. I have found that in talking to most Americans, that any information can be obtained by the simple process of listening or asking directly. It used to amaze me that after meeting someone in their home or on a bus or in a diner, for the first time that I would be in possession of their financial history, their current wealth, how many homes they had and the state of the marriage...... plus a free tour of whatever property thrown in!

Please note I said, "most Americans" not all. Sadly, this translates for some who are in the category to expect a reciprocal arrangement, and for me, it just dont happen. I have no interest in sharing my financial standing with anyone, not even my bank manager. I have no interest in showing you the inside of my house except the bit you are standing or sitting in.. unless I am selling it to you. I have no interest in telling you who I know for mutual networking simply because in my job, you learn to say NOTHING about anything or anyone as it will come back to bite you. In short, I am an Americans worst nightmare as a colleague or neighbour. I keep to myself, dont ask and dont invite without reason.

Now for B.C. who is similarly afflicted BUT is also American, the situation is double in intensity because he is letting the side down! ha!

I like my privacy. I understand context and I see B.C.'s point of view regarding money. The difference between me as a Brit and him as an American is that I NEVER would have acknowledged or discussed it with friends in the first place. They may have suspected but better for them to think it than me open my mouth and confirm it. I wouldnt even tell my cat......

There are things in my life I dont mind sharing. Personal things or experiences.... but in general if you dont know something and even after asking you dont get the answer, your not going to.

I would say one thing though B.C. If you have struck up a friendship with this lady, and have taken her invites and gone "aboard" her vessel so to speak...... and maintain the friendship but deny her a reciprocal gesture of friendship.......... you aint gonna get laid.

You'd be not welcome on my boat anytime and we will have a great time at the bar

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2014, 03:34   #96
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: This Changing Life... better..? or worse..??

[QUOTE=tomfl;1547576]

As others have noted there are a lot more people cruising. One thing I have noticed is what I will call obvious bias against multihulls. Back in the day there you simply did not see any cruising cats.QUOTE]

I feel that you.. and a few others are overly sensitive about this Cat - Mono thing... over in the UK we've been playing with cats since the 60's.. yes there's poking fun back and forth.. but then that's a fact of life.. in every walk of life..
I remember when I was working on my Tiki 21 and started the paint job.. I'd had folk tsk tsking for the previous weeks saying I was on a suicide mission building a cat.. now it was coz I'd decided to paint it black.. I just grinned and acknowledged my folly..
A month later at the launch all the Tsk'rs were saying how nice she looked.. and by the next w/end.. how fast and well she sailed.
Dunno.. maybe its a personality thing.. but if someone doesn't like me.. my boat.. or anything else in my life.. that's their problem not mine.. they'll 'get it' one day..
When I appeared in Cherbourg on here folks reacted with.. "You crossed the Channel on THAT...??"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img044.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	388.6 KB
ID:	81774   Click image for larger version

Name:	img046.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	81775  

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2014, 03:39   #97
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

[QUOTE=boatman61;1547836]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post

As others have noted there are a lot more people cruising. One thing I have noticed is what I will call obvious bias against multihulls. Back in the day there you simply did not see any cruising cats.[\QUOTE]

I remember when I was working on my Tiki 21 and started the paint job..
But in England, the issue was not the Cat. It was that you used Crown instead of Dulux!!

Old 23-05-2014, 03:52   #98
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: This Changing Life... better..? or worse..??

[QUOTE=weavis;1547839]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

But in England, the issue was not the Cat. It was that you used Crown instead of Dulux!!

Jap-Lac Enamel mate.. only the best for my baby..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2014, 03:53   #99
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

[QUOTE=boatman61;1547843]
Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post

Jap-Lac Enamel mate.. only the best for my baby..
Posh git~
Old 23-05-2014, 04:13   #100

Boat: EndeavourCat 36

When I first went to the Bahamas in 1991, one of the first boats we met was a small cruising catamaran. I remember they had a propane fridge in the cockpit and I was fascinated by the boat. Then in Georgetown, there was an F-27 with a singlehanded aboard. That boat caught my attention so completely that it was my dream boat for years. I later owned an f-24 and now have a cruising catamaran that is small by today's standards, but huge to me. If there is a bias against multis, I expect it is because so many of them are so very expensive, it's like showing up at the church potluck in a Ferrari. Eventually all these ten year old multis will be 30 year old multis, and more affordable for more folks.

One difference I've noticed in person, through friends back out in the Bahamas, and talked about incessantly in fora, is the move toward all-chain rode for almost everybody. I have concluded that I will have to make a change on my boat, just to be able to share an anchorage with all those boats on what seems to me to be ridiculously short scope. The anchor fetishers here will be happy to know that I do have a new age anchor (two very nice Spades came with the boat) and I am pleased with the performance.
Cuttyhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2014, 04:28   #101

Boat: 32' Bob Baker/Joel White Cutter (One-off wood)
On the OP's question, we just did the USA's East Coast and found friends and hospitality in many places. I'm not sure if times have changed too much, but perhaps the sheer quantity of folks on the water does have some effect, i.e. social fatigue.
marujo.sortudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2014, 04:48   #102

Boat: Seafarer 38 cutter rigged
Send a message via MSN to Allan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Weavis, could I possibly borrow this picture? Non profit reasons only.
Allan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2014, 04:50   #103
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan S View Post
Weavis, could I possibly borrow this picture? Non profit reasons only.
It belongs to weber..
you fill yer boots and use whatever you want......its on the web..
Old 23-05-2014, 05:22   #104

Boat: Skookum 53'

I think it would have looked better if they had shown the browned side, this side looks kind of nasty.
Old 23-05-2014, 05:24   #105
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
I think it would have looked better if they had shown the browned side, this side looks kind of nasty.
Dear Weber.
Cap here has a suggestion for you.........
love
weavis