Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2020, 11:11   #16

Boat: None yet
Re: Thinking of living on a sailboat and traveling world, is this possible?

Hi all.
Long time lurker, first time poster.
This thread has really caught my imagination and interest as it's something I've been longing to do for a while. My current living situation doesn't allow me to pursue this dream yet, but I'm working toward that goal.
I found this on Craigslist and wondered whether this sort of project would be suitable for the OP? It seems in good condition from the photos, she just appears to need some elbow grease and cosmetic work, plus possibly a bottom paint job, but overall not too bad for a boat her age. She doesn't have that 'tired' look that I've seen on boats in other posts. However please keep in mind I'm not experienced enough to provide any sort of reliable opinion or advice.
I was unable to find many details on a Skookum on Google or in the CF, either.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/b...082569984.html
Redinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 11:44   #17
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

i guess if you lived in a car then you can probably live in a 27 foot boat
Old 01-03-2020, 11:49   #18

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

Good luck with your plan. I agree that an Albin Vega would be a good choice. You will find others out there doing the same thing. People with smaller boats tend to congregate and understand each other's situation. It won't be easy but it seems that your life has not been easy so you probably have strengths that others lack.
I met an American in Papua New Guinea years ago in a $1000 plywood boat who was sailing around the world. He had $40 left and was heading to Darwin then across the Indian Ocean. At the same time a Danish father and son arrived in a 28ft boat and they were dead broke. The Customs people understood and allowed them to stay a few days. In poorer countries most people understand lack of funds. I helped them a bit too. The father was a bit of an artist and had been selling sketches in different ports.
I've been thinking that one thing that you have is plenty of time so you could possibly learn to become an accomplished marine artist. A set of pencils and paper costs very little. You can find lots of hints on line about how to do it. Most people sitting in anchorages would love to have a sketch of their vessels. It should get you a meal at least !!
All the best.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 11:56   #19

Boat: Islander 36

I have seen too much of this to be silent.

Of course nothing is impossible. But the learning curve is steep and expensive, and it never ends.

The “pride of ownership” can be a trap. “Escape plans” can lead you into the next need to escape. Learn how to get on as crew on boats. I have see people show up in places where boats are looking for crew make that work. Then learn what works and what does not.

You want to escape the US, but haven’t seen how rough it can be getting there or once you get there. We all want some kind of escape. We have all made bad choices, or choices that just didn’t work out. That also never ends, but you can start making better choices that lead somewhere.
Old 01-03-2020, 12:41   #20

That made me think of "stop the world I want to get off". You don't need to get off just change directions.
smbdyiam2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 14:44   #21

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

There are lots of small boats capable of your dream. Albin Vega 27, Contessa 26, Vancouver 27, and Alberg 30 all come to mind. There are lots of older boats for sale under $10k. Many only need a good cleaning and minor repair. Choose the right boat and you will be happy. I would prefer a C&C25 over a Catalina 27 any day, but those fin keeled, lightweight boats aren't what you are looking for.

Living on a boat can be simple and inexpensive. A single male in a warm climate needs hardly more than food to eat and wind in his sales. Tourist destinations will be expensive, but there are lots of places off the beaten path where your US$ will go far. I'm thinking Costa Rica, Panama, parts of Mexico, and Canada.

"Chartering" may not be the right word...perhaps something more like taking some nice people out for a day sail, and then maybe they treat you to dinner or a tank of diesel by way of thanks.

If you are looking for inspirational video channels online, look no further than Project Atticus (young couple on 31 foot sailboat heads off around the world with only $2000) or Sailing Uma (young couple buys Pearson 36 for $3000 and heads off around the world). There are lots more...just google.

Personally, I bought an old Pearson 30 in good condition and well under your budget which would have been quite suitable for coastal cruising.

So pay no heed to the naysayers. Start looking at local boats in your price range. Talk to local sailors. Trying is the hardest part. Good Luck to you.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 16:45   #22

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redinari View Post
Hi all.
Long time lurker, first time poster.
This thread has really caught my imagination and interest as it's something I've been longing to do for a while. My current living situation doesn't allow me to pursue this dream yet, but I'm working toward that goal.
I found this on Craigslist and wondered whether this sort of project would be suitable for the OP? It seems in good condition from the photos, she just appears to need some elbow grease and cosmetic work, plus possibly a bottom paint job, but overall not too bad for a boat her age. She doesn't have that 'tired' look that I've seen on boats in other posts. However please keep in mind I'm not experienced enough to provide any sort of reliable opinion or advice.
I was unable to find many details on a Skookum on Google or in the CF, either.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/b...082569984.html
Welcome aboard CF, Redinari,

Try looking at sailboatdata.com. For searches on CF, best results come from using the Custom Google search option (under the search menu).

Ann
Old 01-03-2020, 17:12   #23

Boat: None yet

Hi Ann,
Thanks for that.
I was really only trying to give a little more info to the OP, but finding there's a 'custom search' ability on CF will absolutely help me in the long run!
Much appreciated.
Red
Redinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 18:40   #24

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

To the OP:

If you have a felony conviction, getting a passport may be a problem. If it is the case for you, there are some circumstances where the governor of the State in which the conviction occurred can pardon you. It is something worth pursuing.

Without a passport, you may be denied entry to most if not all foreign nations, and unless you are relieved of the responsibility for answering truthfully the question of whether you have ever been convicted of a felony by a pardon, you may not be allowed entry anyhow.
If you try to enter by lying, they are likely to confiscate the boat, put you in prison, and throw away the key, or at least deport you.

I do not mean to rain on your parade, but all the boat advice in the world cannot help the passport problem, and authorities are all more paranoid now, with the corona virus, which will not simplify the problem.

Ann
Old 01-03-2020, 18:55   #25

Boat: Tayana 37 PH

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbdyiam2 View Post
That made me think of "stop the world I want to get off". You don't need to get off just change directions.
This IS the word!
Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 19:02   #26

Boat: Islander 36

Nobody is being a “naysayer”. Just saying that because something is possible doesn’t make the pitfalls non-existsant.

There are a lot of broken dreams that can become the right persons opportunity. In fact, there are so many broken dreams to learn from.

These broken dream add up every year and governments step in and regulate, and everyone has to satisfy more regulations.

To the OP, take heart. It sounds like you’re making progress. Just know that what you don’t know is always ready to set you back.
Old 01-03-2020, 22:30   #27
cruiser

" This is a bizarre plan at best" "Sailing around the world is best accomplished with at least 3 crew on board for watch duties (otherwise you're a hazard to yourself and everybody else)"

Really Joel??

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_circumnavigations

solocircumnavigation.com/solosailingcircumnavigation/singlehandedcircumnavigators.htm

Far too many singlehanded circumnavigators in that list for me to count.

I could probably make a list just as long of all sorts of activities and claim they are hazards to others and to themselves.

Good G-d, how many zombies are floating about??(

"If you dont do x y and z as I think you should..then you are a hazard"

Maybe there should be a law?? Thank goodness 64 oz sodas are being outlawed!

I certainly could care less if any ADULT is a hazard to themselves. Nor do I care if they are a hazard to you. That would be YOUR problem.

People making your issues theirs and their issues yours..

Yes I know.. COLREG...........................
passage_paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 23:44   #28
cruiser

There are very few countries that deny felons who hold a passport from the USA. There are some exceptions. Australia being the big one for the Pacific. The entire EU is a visa free zone for American holders there is no background check for just visiting. Most places have 90 days allowed without a visa. After that there is likely to be a background check but that would be done for long stays.

In the USA very few crimes result in denial of a passport..

"preclude only felons who committed international drug trafficking from getting a passport"

A few other things will result in denial.. back child support.. court orders.. being wanted by the law...

uspassporthelpguide.com/countries-a-convicted-felon-can-visit/
passage_paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 02:33   #29

Yea, kids on Project Atticus broke out with $2k, but managed to find a decent audience with YouTube and via gifts (Patreon - seems to work best for young attractive females) . I suspect they're doing relatively fine these days. God speed.

I'd guess 95% of those who start out horribly underfunded with no identified means of making a living end up in some sort of derelict mooring field and one storm away from being totally homeless.

This is a sailing forum, so all questions get answered with some form of a sailboat. The OPs problem will not be solved by a cheap sailboat no matter how nice and capable it is his problem will be solved by a means of income, even a meager income of say, $500/mo. Sounds like he has computer skills so will have to figure out options from there. There are gig-economy options like Fiverr.com and Freelancer.com though you are competing with the cheapest labor markets in the world, but still has income potential. It would require a regular internet connection and expense

Solve the $500/mo problem. Rest will be relatively easy despite hurdles due to past events.

Best success to the OP - sounds like his heart is in the right place. We've all made bad choices in our lives, some have had worse luck than others. I wish you the best going forward. For what it's worth, the sailing path you've queried about sounds like the best approach for a healthy and interesting life.
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 05:30   #30

Boat: Valiant 40

The Dominican Republic is an option for long term living. No appreciable entry fee and they do t care if you overstay your Visa. There is a fine when you leave but it's very small. The country is remarkably inexpensive, public healthcare is free and private healthcare is a fraction of what you'd pay with insurance in the US. Also, many expats there run small businesses there with no problem.

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat