Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 10:22   #46
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: The WTF are they thinking thread

In OP's tale, the journey sounds distinctly unpleasant! and not without risk - but that mainly to the person concerned and IMO no undue risk to others.

He paid for his fuel, was just a bit short for the tow - but that down to the person doing the towing. Should've got cash up front. or failing that shot him (as seems the norm in that part of the world). Given the boat description won't have come as any great surprise that he was broke. Personally I see the tow as a cost of the marina doing business, whether for keeping the channel clear for own customers or simply keeping the place looking tidy. Some costs in business you just get to suck up, besides a quick trip out with a tow rope won't have incurred any great out of pocket expenses - could even call it part of the training budget!

In regard to no lights (in cabin or at anchor) - not all lights are electric powered. He might've had candle stowed onboard.............
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:25   #47
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

If one expects everyone else to carry insurance, on a well founded boat, with a skipper that knows what he is doing, so you feel safe in your boat, then I suggest you stay in American waters. Because if you plan to travel further you will certainly see and be around all kinds of unfounded boats, without insurance, piloted by skippers that just don't understand or much care.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:39   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I'm always torn when I hear, or see, these people. On the one hand I say, good for them . They're out there doing it, the best way they are able. While some mumble "tut, tut" from the dock, they are out there -- doing it!

... however...

When I hear about people who have left without understanding simple things like how to sail, how to anchor, how to read charts, how to gauge weather, tides, currents ... this is when I start to cringe. None of these things are hard, and the information is easily available.

A person who leaves without learning these easily accessible basics is someone who is exhibiting poor judgment. They can quickly become a hazard, not just to themselves (which I'm fine with), but to others.
I heard about a case where someone was taking a stinkpot from Malden to London. He figured out that all he had to do was follow the coastline to starboard - Malden is in the Blackwater Estuary to the north, London is up the next estuary, the Thames, to the south. So just keep turning right, easy.

However, he reckoned without Osea Island, in the middle of the Blackwater. Apparently he went around, and around, and around, Osea Island all day - until he ran out of fuel and had to be rescued.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:14   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
I heard about a case where someone was taking a stinkpot from Malden to London. He figured out that all he had to do was follow the coastline to starboard - Malden is in the Blackwater Estuary to the north, London is up the next estuary, the Thames, to the south. So just keep turning right, easy.

However, he reckoned without Osea Island, in the middle of the Blackwater. Apparently he went around, and around, and around, Osea Island all day - until he ran out of fuel and had to be rescued.
Mistake he had to Keep Turning Left
Tar34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:29   #50

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

I've lost count of the number of times I've shared fuel, water, given a tow or tried to monkey wrench some poor bastards engine and never received a sou for my trouble, nor asked for one. One of my old skippers once told me that you never know when you might be in the same fix, down on your luck and trust a good samaritan to help you out. I remember him standing by a broken down vessel years ago until they could secure a tow. Took nearly a day. It is what you do when you are on the water. We are a community out there and unlike our shoreside brethern, we look out for each other and lend a hand when we are able.
Some one once told me, if you accept money for helping out a fellow boater, bad karma will follow you around for many years. Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:35   #51
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Wink Re: The WTF are they thinking thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
It was meant to be a joke!
Oh. Funny.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:13   #52

Boat: Ericson, 28+
Send a message via Skype™ to Gelfling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
I've lost count of the number of times I've shared fuel, water, given a tow or tried to monkey wrench some poor bastards engine and never received a sou for my trouble, nor asked for one. One of my old skippers once told me that you never know when you might be in the same fix, down on your luck and trust a good samaritan to help you out. I remember him standing by a broken down vessel years ago until they could secure a tow. Took nearly a day. It is what you do when you are on the water. We are a community out there and unlike our shoreside brethern, we look out for each other and lend a hand when we are able.
Some one once told me, if you accept money for helping out a fellow boater, bad karma will follow you around for many years. Phil
Capt Phil.......I LOVE YOU MAN!!!
Gelfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:18   #53

Boat: Columbia 45 / Iroquois 30

In Marathon a few months back. These two Dutch kids had bought a sailboat and were fixing it up. It "seemed" like they knew what they were doing at first. Until they started telling everyone they were planning to sail from Marathon Fl. to the Netherlands - Using paper charts only and no electronics other than a radio. oh and no engine at all. almost forgot that. They were working night and day on the boat. After a month they finally convinced a yard employee to get them in the water on the weekend - later found to be trying to ditch yard fees. On the way out they ran aground by trying to cut a corner across the flats in the harbor. Not just once. But three times. Finally they make it down the 2.5 mile transit to open water. I think they found some one to tow them with rib. Go a few more miles and sink in deep water less than 10 miles out. On the very first day of their trip and had to be rescued by CG. The hole where the shaft was was only a plug and not permanently glassed over.
sushirama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:30   #54

Boat: Hunter 23.5, AMF Sunbird & 36' Prairie Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post

+1 Capt. Phil. Same here, I dunno how many times I've helped out boaters in need with a tow or a tool or just some local knowledge. I once towed a jet boat full of folks back to a marina with my Sunfish. Has to be at least a hunnert times. Never asked for a dime and have been payed back with help a couple of times when I needed it. I just think thats the way it should be.

Kevin
Tallswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:39   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Isn't going out on the water for fun, as opposed to making money at it, all about being happy? If you are not happy then you are doing it all wrong.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 13:02   #56

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Quote:
and never received a sou for my trouble
Now there is a phrase I have not heard in a long time.
Old 12-12-2012, 15:18   #57

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post

I'm wondering how this is going to play with the "go simple" and the "cruising on $500/mo" CF crowd.
As for the running aground part I've seen sailors with deeper pockets and longer waterlines do the same. :-)
Old 12-12-2012, 15:33   #58
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: The WTF are they thinking thread

**** Happens...
Thats how Karma gets passed on... as I know only too well..
Long may he battle on....

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 15:36   #59

Boat: csy 37

tar34 said:

" Shackelton's plans included eating dog biscuits and the dogs if necessary. "

then perhaps you may remember that Amundsens plans included eating his dogs AND HE DID!
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 15:37   #60

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
And the problem with that is?

We keep our gin in the freezer and the tonic in the fridge, and one frequent visitor gets all sputtery if I dare serve it without ice. Same guy will spend the rest of the day drinking room-temperature wine back on his own boat.
Bash,
You are looking for problems where there aint any.
You did see the ?