Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2013, 03:41   #151

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
Re: The WTF are they thinking thread

woodymr -- that link just brings me to a page of Bing results (apparently more than one boat has washed ashore at St. Augustine), but not sure which one I'm supposed to click on. Do you have a direct link?

Blue Crab -- I can't imagine the horror of losing a daughter like that. I'm so sorry. If it's not too much to ask -- what happened?
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 06:59   #152

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
... Blue Crab -- I can't imagine the horror of losing a daughter like that. I'm so sorry. If it's not too much to ask -- what happened?
1:00 am, two 15yr old girls were joy riding around in the driver's dad's car. My kid is the passenger. Neither had a dr lic. Both girls were high school sophmores. Popular kids on the varsity gymnastics team. My gal had been drinking but thank the gods, the driver had not. I find some solace in that fact.

Local cops flashed their lights at them and the girls sped away. Police had video on the dash showing they did not pursue (SOP in nice neighborhoods I hear) but the driver lost it in a turn almost immediately, took out a stopsign, a ulility pole, and hit an oak tree. My wife, an MD, said the driver had a broken neck, and daughter Jenni had a brain stem injury like Dale Earnhart got at Daytona. The hope is both girls died instantly. I haven't wanted to read the official stuff nor the internet stuff.

I guess people get over this kind of thing. We haven't in the last year and a half. I'm 71 but my ex and kids are much younger. I don't envy them carrying this around the rest of their lives. I've seen some badass stuff along the way, and was nuts way before this happened but they are complete innocents.

Pardon the drama mates. I know this isn't much in the world wide scheme of awful things.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 07:23   #153

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

My eldest daughter is 15 now, so I feel that one right in the gut. Hang in there, Blue Crab. Wishing you peace and strength.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 08:17   #154

Boat: Ocean Alexander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post

Pardon the drama mates. I know this isn't much in the world wide scheme of awful things.
I am so sorry for what has happened to you. I think every parent's worst nightmare is outliving their kids. Everyone gets to experience their own life and that's not subject to the "world wide scheme of things" evaluation. Take good care of you!!
Old 27-02-2013, 09:17   #155

Boat: Skookum 53'

Sorry for your loss Blue Crab, I cannot even imagine your pain. I will keep you in my prayers.
Old 27-02-2013, 09:56   #156

Boat: Cape Dory 27

In 50,000 miles of cruising I found that, generally, the best sailors were those on minimally equipped but well maintained boats. The worst sailors were those on minimally equipped and poorly maintained boats. Many of my favorite memories were in meeting both types.
midnightmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 10:55   #157

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
Blue Crab so sorry for the tragic event that has befallen your family. We lost our 16 month old grandson a few weeks ago, I wonder if our daughter & son in law will ever be able to be happy again, I'am afraid we are & you are in a new normal now.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote