Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 21-07-2013, 13:55   #121

Boat: PETERSON 44
Still no good data or back up of critics. AiIS for example I cannot verify on any supplier that ais had sat coverage. Think that would be good to know for a cruiser. A boat like this was in a yard and had work done so no secret of what was done? Think that not getting critical info out is odd. Condition of sails? Should be a day job to find out where they were served last. Some critical data is not going our and that sucks for those that think they want to help or are out flying around. Basic data and its not out on public view, seems like poor cya stuff.
Old 21-07-2013, 13:57   #122

Re: The (Official) "Lets Bash the Nina Thread" - sponsored by Bazzer :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
a well maintained wooden boat eventually ends up pretty much like Trigger's Broom (all original - apart from 5 new heads, and 3 new handles , I am sure the US has it's own version of that ).
"George Washington's axe", here in the Colonies. Also, Slocum says "Now, it is a law in Lloyd's that the Jane, repaired all out of the old until she is entirely new is still the Jane."
Old 21-07-2013, 14:05   #123

No it has not been well said. Boat was glassed 15 years ago. Why do you glass a wood boat? That's very much left out. And thank you Cherie. Information that is honest helps everyone. Where diluted info is harmful. I'm pretty sympathetic but won't put up with bad data that is not helping anyone.
Old 21-07-2013, 14:17   #124
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Still no good data or back up of critics. AiIS for example I cannot verify on any supplier that ais had sat coverage. Think that would be good to know for a cruiser. A boat like this was in a yard and had work done so no secret of what was done? Think that not getting critical info out is odd. Condition of sails? Should be a day job to find out where they were served last. Some critical data is not going our and that sucks for those that think they want to help or are out flying around. Basic data and its not out on public view, seems like poor cya stuff.
The first hit on Google gave the andwer: full global coverage like I had read before on this very same forum

Here is the text from http://www.orbcomm.com/services-ais.htm

Automatic Identification System (AIS) is a shipboard broadcast system that transmits a vessel's identification, position and other critical data that can be used to assist in navigation and improve maritime safety.
Most current terrestrial-based AIS systems provide only limited coverage nearby shorelines and are not able to provide global open ocean coverage. ORBCOMM overcomes many of these issues thanks to a fully satellite-based AIS data service, which is able to monitor maritime vessels well beyond coastal regions in a cost-effective and timely fashion.
ORBCOMM was the first commercial satellite network with AIS Data Service.
In 2008, ORBCOMM launched low-earth orbit satellites specially equipped with the capability to collect AIS data, and has plans to include these capabilities on all future satellites for ongoing support of global maritime safety and security initiatives.
ORBCOMM has recently launched two dedicated AIS microsatellites, one in an equatorial orbit and the other in a polar orbit, which allows ORBCOMM to provide complete global AIS coverage. ORBCOMM will be launching 17 additional AIS-equipped next generation satellites beginning in late 2013.
Annual subscription service agreements and user applications for global, regional and filtered satellite AIS data are available to both qualified government and commercial customers. Simply contact ORBCOMM to gain access to global AIS vessel data.

Old 21-07-2013, 14:24   #125

I understood that the engine did not meet criteria, intake cooling was not enough. Is this a bad rumor or is there something in the report that the engine would not perform at peak performance?
Old 21-07-2013, 14:27   #126

Negative! I'm not going to prove it again. Sea power wrote all ok on installation. RCCNZ has proof.

Cherie
Old 21-07-2013, 14:56   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Sabray,

Much of this has been posted in earlier posts. DOJ recapped it a couple of times. It's quite a long read, but informative.

Ann
Ann I don't see a recap. Sorry. Not trying to be an ass. But think that it's good to get info out. It is not clear why the boat was glassed and who did the work. A survey report would be helpful too. You know these were done when they glassed it.lets have honest data. Really not trying to mess with this loss. Pretty sure these were good people. Not giving all information is manipulating.
Old 21-07-2013, 15:09   #128
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
ORBCOMM AIS in Action
For vessels in distress, ORBCOMM’s AIS service can identify exactly where a vessel is located anywhere in the world even if it continues to drift from the distress location. Access to accurate, reliable and timely data about the position and status of a vessel and its crew can greatly improve response time by focusing search and rescue resources to a specific area ...

Maritime authorities in Australia and Chile have successfully used ORBCOMM’s AIS service in search and rescue operations to identify and request nearby vessels to help other vessels in distress. They can attest to the benefits of ORBCOMM’s AIS service in providing complete visibility over vessel activity in their waterways and making more rescues possible, thereby saving lives.
http://www.orbcomm.com/Collateral/Do...archRescue.pdf

Read this PDF. Its good.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 21-07-2013, 15:15   #129
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Sabray, here is the report you wanted about the engine.

Quote:
For those interested regarding Nina's engine..

Hi Cherie,
David had done a very good job on the install and had adhered to as much of
the advice that we gave him as he was able to
There was a few things such as the water intake that was not big enough to
allow maximum water flow to the engine at full throttle
Also the fuel lines were not of the correct size. These things would need to
be rectified before the warranty was signed off
The engine was quite capable of attaining full power however because of the
drive line alignment issues david chose not to go any higher in the rpm
On the sea trial the vessel motored at 6.5knots at 1600rpm. David was happy
running at a lower rpm that gave them 4-5 knots.
David was aware of the issues with the warranty and drive line and as he was
out of time he decided to address these issues when the vessel was slipped
in Australia
The issues with the fuel lines and water intake would not have caused any
problems at the lower rpm.
I trust this will help
Regards Bruce.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 21-07-2013, 15:34   #130

Jedi and Mark thanks ais seems better then I thought.
Old 21-07-2013, 16:30   #131

Back off on hull. It was perfectly fine on its preparation in Mystic Port. Engine install according to Sea Power was well done.You need to bark up another tree!
Cherie
Old 21-07-2013, 16:32   #132

I reported this thread to the mods and suggested it should be moved from the Navigation to off-topic where it should be. It was left alone not to upset the relatives.
The facts are facts. Nina is well overdue and considers LOST by the SAR with seven SOULS aboard. Sad but true. Mods please move this thread to wherever it belongs
Old 21-07-2013, 16:46   #133

Why do i get this from Cherie?posted: *************** Back off on hull. It was perfectly fine on its preparation in Mystic Port. Engine install according to Sea Power was well done.You need to bark up another tree! Cherie
I did not bark at a tree. I asked for some better information. No I won't back off especially when you send me this.
A wooden boat should never get glassed. I can't imagine how this was okay. But now i really want to see the survey that suggested this. Let us not give bad data and ask for help.
I want a good outcome but changing data or not being honest is not going anywhere helpful.
Old 21-07-2013, 16:53   #134

Basser why don't you start your own thread and do it off topic!

This is a navigational problem with the Nina.

Why do you keep coming back if it bothers you so much!

Cherie
Old 21-07-2013, 16:53   #135

Stunned but wow. That went from wanting help to you can't talk about the boat being a glassed up wooden boat fast. Sorry it went that way.
Closed Thread

Tags
My Bucket is, superior to