Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2019, 02:25   #151
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: The morality of interactions with the locals

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
..... Israel is by far the most accepting country we have been to and we have been to over 60.
I agree, one if my favourite places, despite all the restrictions.

Perhaps because of thier continual fighting for survival with neighbours, the Israels understand what it means to be different.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2019, 03:46   #152
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I agree, one if my favourite places, despite all the restrictions.
Same here. Truly amazing place to visit and love the people. Was there on business and got a guided tour from one of the people I was visiting so got the inside scoop on the situation.

When discussing some of the details of recent conflicts he seemed to have incredibly detailed knowledge so I asked him how come. Replied he was in the military during a lot of the time but when questioned further he couldn't talk about it. Based on his position there I have my suspicions.

Regardless of the frequent riots and occasional rockets I felt quite safe; safer in fact walking the streets of Tel Aviv than most places, including a lot of cities in the US. Only place I've been where they have security going into a store instead of leaving.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2019, 04:02   #153
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Great set of links about the indigenous Uru-Iruito people who live on floating islands on the Bolivian side of Lake Titicaca, and their apparently decent management of interactions with modern tourism.

https://www.metafilter.com/180001/As...ed-in-the-lake
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2019, 14:34   #154

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Great set of links about the indigenous Uru-Iruito people who live on floating islands on the Bolivian side of Lake Titicaca, and their apparently decent management of interactions with modern tourism.

https://www.metafilter.com/180001/As...ed-in-the-lake
I visited these floating Islands 15-20 years ago. Our translator said the people initially moved onto the lake centuries ago to avoid Inca Tax Collectors... I bought some pottery from the folk who live full-time on the islands with gardens, chickens, and goats. I think their primary subsistence comes from fishing. They seemed to appreciate our visit and purchase of their wares.
Old 03-04-2019, 13:11   #155

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38, MK I

Israel: Next on my list of places to see. The Israelis I've met consistently seem to get it. Whatever "it" is.

Interestingly, I found Turkey, especially Istanbul, much the same way.

Maybe both places have seen enough history and change to know life is change and failure to accept others is war?

My travels and life experiences include a fair number of lesser-developed countries and in U.S. some pretty challenged neighborhoods. In my experience, treating someone with respect is universally accepted. Treating someone like they need your superior judgement to protect them from your superior position is a pretty quick way to offend someone - though they may play it off as a way to take advantage of you. And sometimes that may be okay. I imagine the person who gained flashlights and batteries for what they likely saw as a few hours of carving probably felt they were the shrewd negotiator and I have no reason to doubt their judgement. They know their values, I don't presume to better know what their values should be. Sounds like both sides won.

Over paying for goods may make the tourist feel better (and I used to do it when I was younger), but what it accomplishes is driving up the prices for locals or flat making that product unavailable for them. Over pay for carvings or trinkets if you want, but please never over pay for food staples or water. - I got that from a guy at the Guatemalan border. I interpret that bit of wisdom to say if you have money burning a hole in your heart, give it to the orphanage, school, church or whatever as cash. Let them decide how it should be spent. It is their community, afterall. Would you sell bread to a local for pennies when the guilt-ridden cruise ship passenger will pay $5.00? You have to be rich to think that way - and the shop keeper probably isn't.

A Belizean laughed at me one time for worrying about Global politics - he felt sorry for me that as an American I was worrying about things I really had no control over and it wasted time and energy I could (and should) have spent enjoying (and contributing) to my family and community. It's easy for this American First-Worlder to forget that it can come off as incredibly arrogant to act like it's my place to look out for others in a way that basically says they aren't as grown up and wise as I am. That doesnt mean I never help, get involved, etc., but I don't presume to do.

Being white or American or wealth(ier) or whatever doesn't make you bad. Treating someone like you understand that they (or their culture) are inferior to you so you are going to protect them from your superiority is.

Anyway, that's my outlook.
Elzaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 13:28   #156

Boat: Bayliner 3870 39ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
Seems (1) practising medicine when not registered to do so locally; and (2) handing out medications not registered locally (and without a prescription from a locally-registered physician) might be no-nos:

https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/...m-lombok-.html
This seems like a no brainer to me...?
tackleandtax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 15:26   #157
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post

What steps do you take to be sure you're dealing with the locals in a respectful and uplifting way?
Back to the original question.

I think a well seasoned traveller is like a Chameleon.

You try to adjust and blend in with the local social culture in non challenging ways.

Adapting your English pronunciation to local accents. Dress the same and copy their shopping style.

I analyze whether this is an "ambitious culture " (as we define it) , or more content to focus on a laid back
life of subsistance and family.

That guides my reference points for interaction as I accept their choice of lifestyle and complement them in their success.

As a visitor, my job is not to teach or enlighten, but to experience the differences.
Old 03-04-2019, 15:50   #158

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Adapting your English pronunciation to local accents.
I've always wondered about that. On the one hand, if you go too far it could be perceived as mockery, on the other hand if you don't make an effort it's potentially arrogance.

Stuff like this is one of the reasons I am such a bad traveller.
Old 03-04-2019, 16:27   #159
CF Adviser

Being spoiled with English as my first language, you have to make an effort to change the tonal inflections of your words to suit the majority..... and to use their English pidgins to communicate.

Emigrating from Scotland to Canada at 12, I HAD to change [emoji4] and then travelling always had an ear for local inflections.

Living for a few years in Holland, I spoke English with a Dutch accent.
Favouring hiring Kiwi and Ausie crew on Super yachts, when I retired, everyone thought I was from Australia.
Now, I think English like a Filipino...[emoji20]
Old 08-04-2019, 06:34   #160
cruiser

The morality of interactions with the locals.....

Gruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 07:42   #161

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruz View Post
The morality of interactions with the locals.....

LOL (quite literally)
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal