Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2012, 15:46   #76

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Re: The Golden Years: Myth or Reality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post

but many people are trapped by their perceived social obligations none the less. I think this leads to many a mid-life crisis when those who have done what they thought they were "supposed" to do wake up and realize they are prisoners in their own lives.
Another page in my chapter.
Old 09-09-2012, 16:34   #77

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

I took SS at 62, 2 1/2 years ago. No work, I shut my business down, and took my entitlements, as the Conservatives call it. It takes 14 years and a few months to break even, rather than waiting until age 66. My mother mailed my father's 9th check back when he died unexpectedly. My wife was seriously injured in 2003, and waited until 3 years ago to apply for Disabiity. Denied, we hired an attorney and appealed. After a 2 year wait, the ruling was she was disabled starting from 2007 when she sold her business, even though she couldn't work. All it did was allow her to start at age 61 at the rate she would have gotten at 66, plus medicare. That was a surprise, by the time the Feds deduct part B, you take a supplimental, and you pay for part D for prescription drugs, we are only saving about $150/ month from what she was paying for her own policy. We were lucky, we cruised for 10 years starting when I was 43, coming back during hurricane season to work. We did it when we could, and now, we have to plan around my wife's Dr appointments and having to refill prescriptions every 30 days in the US. They say youth is wasted on the young, but like Jimmy says, I've gotten older, but I haven't grown up. I think you should do it when you can. You can always make some more money, but you can't make more time.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 17:19   #78

When I was in my mid 30s and out cruising, we got a message to come home quick. My father inlaw retired on his 65th birthday. Thin, healthy, nonsmoker, non drinker, dropped dead of a massive heart attack 29 days after he retired. LIFE IS A CRAP SHOOT, GO WHEN YOU CAN! _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 18:09   #79

Boat: 43' Hatteras CPMY

I've already applied for my SS come January when I turn 62.. Retired after 42 yrs at Southern Bell/BellSouth and now AT-T this past May.... My medical insurance for myself and the Admiral runs $17.50 a month.... Moved onboard 12 yrs ago and the Hatteras is paid for......
But then again... my dad died at 60 (he was a HEAVY smoker).. My brother, who ran marathons, ate right and didn't drink died at 61 from cancer...
Nothing is promised to any of us... Go for it when you can...Not when you "should"
jaxfishgyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 19:47   #80

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
...The people that are having the most difficulty in the current times are those that lived up-to or beyond their incomes during the booms without preparing for the busts. Instant gratification seemed to be a watch-word until the fit hit the shan and now, absent income, or credit, many are suffering and loosing the things they brrowed so heavily to buy.

Very true, USA society has, for decades now, become over burdened with debt -- much of it to finance unnecessary consumer spending. Very much like being an indentured servant. No thanks, I prefer my freedom.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 19:55   #81

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

That's a tough one. Live on my savings till 65 for the higher SS, or get it sooner and leave sooner at the lower rate...with the savings intact. One never knows...
TomandAnitas34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 21:06   #82

Boat: Island Packet 37 - Finistere
I have always wondered what the big deal is if you die before you have done all these wonderful things, you would not know the difference would you? Not that I want to die soon, enjoying life to much.
Finistere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:06   #83
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finistere View Post
I have always wondered what the big deal is if you die before you have done all these wonderful things, you would not know the difference would you?
gee, why even have any dreams?
Old 10-09-2012, 08:04   #84

Ask me again this time next year.. I retire in May 2013.... All my senses says 'yes'.

BUT, then again, I've been paying attention and planning this for awhile now.

I'm in perfect health, knock wood. At 64 I weigh 2.5 lbs more than I did when I joined the Army at 21. I owe not one penny to anyone, House is paid off...

Life is good and with any luck will be getting better and better.... My wife's been retired for 8 years and is having the time of her life.

Retirement, old age, whatever you want to call it, is EXACTLY like every other aspect of life: IT"S WHAT YOU MAKE IT...

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:26   #85
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

For some people, everything is about angry politics, and it will just get worse as the election approaches, and will become a festering boil should the candidate of the angry people not win.

I hope the moderators will keep political detours out of our sailing threads. I was on a board once where the moderator moved such posts to an area called "the junk drawer." I thought that was great.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:40   #86
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Good work bring politics in.
damn, you're absolutely right. Too late for me to delete it, but I will support anyone who can.

Gotta skirt around the edges of that, but you can see the thought process. Golden years...social security...take it now while you can or trust that it will even still be there when you turn 65....

This is a non-partisan worry, by the way

But I wish I hadn't brung it up.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:42   #87
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Morgan 321 - 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finistere View Post
I have always wondered what the big deal is if you die before you have done all these wonderful things, you would not know the difference would you? Not that I want to die soon, enjoying life to much.
That's depressing - you're supposed to ENJOY things along the way. And this is REALLY enjoyable - much more than land life.
sloopygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:54   #88
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
damn, you're absolutely right. Too late for me to delete it, but I will support anyone who can.

Gotta skirt around the edges of that, but you can see the thought process. Golden years...social security...take it now while you can or trust that it will even still be there when you turn 65....

This is a non-partisan worry, by the way

But I wish I hadn't brung it up.

I think it's quite fair to talk about how to finance one's life so they can follow a dream, like sailing after retirement. In that context, it's quite reasonable to point out that SS may or may not be there. If that's true, then medicare may or may not be there.

I think that was a reasonably apolitical statement. We're just going to have to work hard to keep the focus on sailing.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:55   #89

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Some regular contributors have commented on the need to keep politics out of these discussions.

Yes, the moderators are watching.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:53   #90

Boat: Pearson 34-II

I have been very impressed with the thoughtful, intelligent and honest responses concerning the Golden Years. It is a subject we must all address sometime in our lives since it will determine the road in life we ultimately will take. Arthur Schopenauer, 19th Century German philosopher in his famous book "The World as Will and Representation", talks about the concept of "will" being the determining and driving factor in all peoples lives and that everything one does from cradle to grave is a direct result of its power whether conscious or unconscious. So, when one person plans to work hard, save his/her money and retire under the spell of the "Golden Years" he/she is saying through their actions that working, buying a home, raising a family and having a career is really what gives them pleasure since it takes precedence over everything else. On the other hand, when one pursues dreams in their life whether it be sailing,adventure, musical performance, creative writing, the visual arts, to name a few, they have spoken as to what is really important to them. Any protestations to the contrary are merely mental subterfuge. Human life is a microscopic blip on a infinite and unending line. The pathway of our life is a record of our will.
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote