Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2014, 03:51   #76
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: The Future of Cruising Post-Outbreak

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Southpaw.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 04:09   #77
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw View Post
I suspect that the infected US citizens were brought to the US to facilitate work on a vaccine. Germany has flown in 3 infected people, and they are not German citizens. Besides the humanitarian aspect of a vaccine, huge amounts of money will be made.

For well-informed, non-sensational information see
www.psandman.com/col./Ebola-2.htm (long but well worth reading)
www.flutracker.com
Not sure about the "well informed non-sensational" Mr Sandman.

Freakonomics » Risk = Hazard + Outrage: A Conversation with Risk Consultant Peter Sandman

Coops.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:25   #78

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker6977 View Post
You do realize that it has entered the US don't you? Eric Duncan in TX brought it from liberia- they are now "observing" the people he came into contact with. As of yet I don't believe anyone else has it.
If it can only be passed by "bodily fluids" just like aids- why does the CDC wear hazmat suits when going around them? Why are they in isolation? It is now also in Spain incase anyone was wondering where else it's spread to.
There is a pervasive "Cover Your Ass" mentality all through all and any government institutions. Which tends them to overreact. Trying to gauge risk by watching the government is thus not really usefull.

Listen to people who know what they are talking about, experts like the guy who actually discovered Ebola:
'In 1976 I discovered Ebola - now I fear an unimaginable tragedy' | World news | The Observer

And yes, the guy is worried. It's going to be a tragedy, for Africa. But it is unlikely going to become a global pandemic.
And even then. The last global pandemic killed killed less people than get killed in car accidents... Wear your seat belts. Stop letting the latest media feeding frenzy scare you...
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 04:48   #79
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
What makes it different from a flu bug, is that there's no know cure or vaccine, and that they are being forced by government political correctness and government leadership stupidity to not take prudent precautions... like profiling. Air travel should be halted immediately to West Africa, why hasn't the US done this already like other nations?
my thoughts exactly. why can't we take the steps to prevent this nasty disease from entering in our country?
Old 09-10-2014, 05:12   #80
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
my thoughts exactly. why can't we take the steps to prevent this nasty disease from entering in our country?
Easy...that would be descriminatory and use evil profiling....better that Americans die than be politically incorrect. Sad but true.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:06   #81

Boat: (none)

<snip> I can see this thing entering the US soon. <snip>
It's here my friend... The CDC is going to develop a vaccine that is going cure the disease... but it's actually going to be the beginning of the Zombie Apocalypse!
farmall.dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:51   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
And yes, the guy is worried. It's going to be a tragedy, for Africa. But it is unlikely going to become a global pandemic.
And even then.
I reread that article, I am not sure the guy is saying what you're saying he is saying. Here's what he says about it becoming a pandemic.

"Do you think we might be facing the beginnings of a pandemic?

There will certainly be Ebola patients from Africa who come to us in the hopes of receiving treatment. And they might even infect a few people here who may then die. But an outbreak in Europe or North America would quickly be brought under control. I am more worried about the many people from India who work in trade or industry in west Africa. It would only take one of them to become infected, travel to India to visit relatives during the virus's incubation period, and then, once he becomes sick, go to a public hospital there. Doctors and nurses in India, too, often don't wear protective gloves. They would immediately become infected and spread the virus."

Sounds to me like he thinks the potential for a pandemic exists. I don't think India is the only concern as there are plenty Chinese doing business in Africa as well.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:05   #83

So the first two repatriated American health workers were treated in Atlanta. Makes sense, lot's of top notch guys in Atlanta for this kind of thing.

What did they learn about treating these two cases that made them suddenly decide to send future patients to the middle of nowhere?

If you were possibly anticipating receiving patients from Asia, then Nebraska might make sense because of it's central location, as well as it's relative remoteness. If that's the case, then that means they don't think it's just going to go away and they're gonna bring sick people from all over the world to the middle of nowhere and study the virus as it evolves. I hope they know what they're doing.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:14   #84
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
I hope they know what they're doing.
And that my friends is the big question. When will PC, CYA and fear be overcome by leadership, cold hard facts and rational thinking? That this will kill millions may already be an irreversible fact. When someone in leadership is ready to make the tough decisions I will breathe a lot easier.
This, and other diseases like Ebola, will be the wake up call of this generation. Will they wake up or just talk about it on facebook?
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:19   #85
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"why can't we take the steps to prevent this nasty disease from entering in our country? "
The emperors of China tried that. Burned the greatest fleets and the largest ships ever built. Constructed that ginormous wall. And yet, still, the hairy wide-eyed barbarians made it in.

Today the world is a much smaller place, which makes the job all the harder.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:55   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
And that my friends is the big question. When will PC, CYA and fear be overcome by leadership, cold hard facts and rational thinking? That this will kill millions may already be an irreversible fact. When someone in leadership is ready to make the tough decisions I will breathe a lot easier.
This, and other diseases like Ebola, will be the wake up call of this generation. Will they wake up or just talk about it on facebook?
11:08EST 10 October 2014

UNITED NATIONS (AP) — The U.N. special envoy on Ebola says the number of cases is probably doubling every three-to-four weeks and the response needs to be 20 times greater than it was at the beginning of October.
David Nabarro warned the U.N. General Assembly on Friday that without the mass mobilization of the world to support the affected countries in West Africa, "it will be impossible to get this disease quickly under control, and the world will have to live with the Ebola virus forever."
Nabarro said the U.N. knows what needs to be done to catch up to and overtake Ebola's rapid advance "and together we're going to do it."
"And our commitment to all of you is to achieve it within a matter of months — a few months," he said.

This outbreak started in December 2013, a couple months from now it will be a year old.
Old 13-10-2014, 08:08   #87

Might seem trivial, but I think it's worth noting-

"Ebola is threatening much of the world’s chocolate supply.
Ivory Coast, the world’s largest producer of cacao, the raw ingredient in M&M’s, Butterfingers and Snickers Bars, has shut down its borders with Liberia and Guinea, putting a major crimp on the workforce needed to pick the beans that end up in chocolate bars and other treats just as the harvest season begins. The West African nation of about 20 million — also known as Côte D’Ivoire — has yet to experience a single case of Ebola, but the outbreak already could raise prices."

Ebola threatens chocolate - Bill Tomson - POLITICO.com

Sounds like at least a portion of the annual labor force required to the pick the beans in Ivory Coast are migrant workers from Guinea and Liberia. Wonder how effective the border closing will be?

It's one thing to try to close a border to sick people, now you're talking about closing a border (hundreds of miles of dense jungle with multiple river systems) to people trying to enter a country to make a living. Hope it work's out.

Based on the US's experience seems easier said than done. Something tells me you're going to see outbreaks in Ivory Coast in the months to come. At least that's what commodities traders thought a month ago, enough so to make prices jump.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	africa_ebola_cocoa.jpg
Views:	538
Size:	314.5 KB
ID:	89652  
Old 13-10-2014, 09:52   #88

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post

If it gets loose in the middle east - it will annilhilate the populations. Virtually all medical capacity that is still standing is being used for treating victims of the wars.
Well, maybe Mother Nature will sort out the problems in the Mid-East after all.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 10:04   #89

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Might seem trivial, but I think it's worth noting-

"Ebola is threatening much of the world’s chocolate supply.
Ivory Coast, the world’s largest producer of cacao, the raw ingredient in M&M’s, Butterfingers and Snickers Bars, has shut down its borders with Liberia and Guinea, putting a major crimp on the workforce needed to pick the beans that end up in chocolate bars and other treats just as the harvest season begins. The West African nation of about 20 million — also known as Côte D’Ivoire — has yet to experience a single case of Ebola, but the outbreak already could raise prices."

Ebola threatens chocolate - Bill Tomson - POLITICO.com

Oh Crap! Glad I live in Central America where Cocoa trees are plentiful and there is no Ebola....yet.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 10:13   #90

Thumbs down Re: The Future of Cruising Post-Outbreak

Thread added to my ignore list, along with the rest of the doomsday threads that CF seems to be generating of late.....
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising