Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2019, 17:17   #1

Boat: Catalina 320
The cabin is never clean no mater how much I clean

It doesn’t take long to clean the main cabin of a yacht. It’s suck a small space. But no matter how well it’s done when I lay down to sleep at night there is always grit on the mattress.
I’ve been reduced to sweeping off the mattress with a dustpan and brush and shaking out the blankets before bed.
How do you all manage this? Do you have tricks to reduce sand and dirt getting below decks.? Cleaning regimes?

Cheers
Old 03-11-2019, 17:37   #2

Re: The cabin is never clean no mater how much I clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent n Aurora View Post
It doesn’t take long to clean the main cabin of a yacht. It’s suck a small space. But no matter how well it’s done when I lay down to sleep at night there is always grit on the mattress.
I’ve been reduced to sweeping off the mattress with a dustpan and brush and shaking out the blankets before bed.
How do you all manage this? Do you have tricks to reduce sand and dirt getting below decks.? Cleaning regimes?

Cheers
Turn Japanese... Leave shoes in the cockpit. If you are on deck barefoot, before you go below brush off the soles of your feet.

Boats tend to be used in places with a lot of sand around. Keeping the sand and salt out of the cabin is way easier than trying to collect it once it is inside.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 17:46   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We met a German lady, who, on her boat, asked people to wash their feet while on the transom of their boat, then provided a towel for them to dry them, before entering the cockpit, which she kept spotless.

A piece of indoor/outdoor carpet placed at the bridge deck will catch a great deal of what one tracks aboard. I have one in the galley, and it corrals a lot.

Good luck with it. We had our boat in Manly Boat harbour for a while, and I was surprised at how much airborne dirt landed on the boat. You may find you collect less dirt anchored out than you do near the city.

However, we have found that even in the middle of long ocean passages, there is still dust in the air, and our bodies shed hair, and flecks of dead skin all the time, too. It's one of those facts one can only accept and do the best with it you can, try not to let it bug you.

For your bunk, you could keep a sacrificial sheet on top of it, then take it out for a good shake before bedtime. It may be less hassle than sweeping the bunk.

Ann
Old 03-11-2019, 18:03   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

To be honest, we have never had that problem, I don’t understand how sand could be getting below.
Find out how and you have your fix of course.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 20:04   #5

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Kitty litter? If so, try this kind:

It still tracks a bit but much less than any other kind we've used, and we've been cat people for over 50 years.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 20:44   #6

Boat: Jarkan King 40 12m

So much red dust in the air around Sydney and the Central Coast of NSW at present. Both my boat and car are covered in it, a bit of rain seems to make the dust coarser and to stick better. Maybe your grit problems are just dirt from the west?
Bruce K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 20:53   #7

Boat: C&C 35 MK-II

... and add the line of defense. Put a fuzzy rug/bathmap in the v berth. It will collect dust, grit and those pesky dust bunnies, before the grow to adulthood.
Old 03-11-2019, 20:56   #8

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Is there a foam mattress on your boat that is getting old and "shedding"?
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 20:58   #9

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

We remove shoes...... wife keeps boat nice however never had sand in bed. Assume from sandy feet and cloths
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 22:50   #10

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Imagine living with three cats!!

Invest in a good rechargeable hand vac, like a dyson. Not cheap, but (in my best russian accent) strong like bull. Keep it handy with the little upholstery brush attached. It takes 15 seconds to grab off the charger and zip around even our fairly large saloon, floor, counters, sofas, etc, so do it twice or more times a day and you'll be fine. No shoes, door-mats in front of passarelle, on stern and before companionway door too of course.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 23:19   #11

I keep my boat moored, so when arriving to the boat all sand is gone. Also keep an old towel in the cockpit to clean shoes.
I have some basic rules:
1. once in the cockpit shoes are taken off.
2. boat shoes never go out of the boat.
3. street shoes are taken off on the swim platform.
4. No shoes in the cabin, even boat shoes.

still I have some airborne dust, but nothing major.
B_Hunter45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:50   #12

Boat: Catalina 470

My boat was extremely clean when I purchased her, for a long time I would feel guilt because I was wearing it out and no matter how often I cleaned, it would be dirty again in no time, that's cruising, we are 4x4's of the sea, not marina queens, I've learnt to accept.
Not just dirt but girl hair, amazing that stuff, gets everywhere and I'm confident it has a life span longer than the hull, NASA needs to start utilizing some how..
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:14   #13

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Imagine living with three cats!!

Invest in a good rechargeable hand vac, like a dyson. Not cheap, but (in my best russian accent) strong like bull. Keep it handy with the little upholstery brush attached. It takes 15 seconds to grab off the charger and zip around even our fairly large saloon, floor, counters, sofas, etc, so do it twice or more times a day and you'll be fine. No shoes, door-mats in front of passarelle, on stern and before companionway door too of course.

I do the same - zap it with the hand vac, as soon as anything is noticed. Keep it handy, and little problems never get to be big. A few seconds, a few times a day, and there is nothing to track around. I'd still buy this one again: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:18   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Kitty litter? If so, try this kind:

It still tracks a bit but much less than any other kind we've used, and we've been cat people for over 50 years.
Does the sand and dirt come off the feet when you wipe your them in the kitty litter?

Sorry, couldn’t resist!
Frank 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:29   #15

USN war ships are not dirty because dirty is a health hazard when many sailors are confined to a relatively small area. The cleanliness is maintained by good sanitation, ventilation, filtration and diligence by assigned compartment cleaners. Basically Every junior crew member is initially assigned to compartment cleaning. After being at sea, without touching land for several months the grime still accumulates, unless the cleaning is accomplished.
oleman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabin