Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2011, 10:08   #31

Re: That Smell . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevaDeb View Post
I am new to the cruising world but I'm trying to give it my best shot...that diesel smell really makes me sick. What to do? Isn't there some means for making it less obtrusive? Or, will I get used to i?
I agree with marshmat an operating diesel engine shouldn't smell like diesel at all, nor should there be diesel in the bilge. Once a diesel puking engine has been repaired for unspent fuel and leaks, all that is left is the bilge. As it's illegal to pump your fuel oil infused bilge water overboard the best way is to shop-vac it out. Firstly, shut the bilge pump off then throw some oil absorbing bilge pillows along with 3 or 4 cups of HE Woolite detergent then add about 5 gallons of water. Wait a couple of days then remove the pillows and if there's any evidence of remaining oil, throw more in and add some more Woolite. Vacuum out the remaining water after a couple of days along with the removal of those added pillows and voila. Never had to do it more than twice, but hey you never know. Now you can add as much water as you desire and pump it overboard. Another good cleaner is a 50/50 mix of Clorox Household Cleaner and Simple Green which doesn't work as well on diesel, but really get's rid of that "other" stench.

Maintiens le Droit

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote