Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2017, 17:16   #16

Re: Taking a Leave of Absence

You should go when you are young enough to get back into the job market... in a few years. Don't wait until you're old and desperate to "get away".

You may be on the young side... but do go before your mid 40s...

Quit on good terms and get a letter from your employer about your work ethic.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 22:02   #17

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Thinking of this from the employers p.o.v. especially a small company, why did they hire you in the first place if they do not really need you? . . . as in you wanting to take an extended LOA ... do you think the company exists just to pay someone wanting to take an extended holiday? Sheeesh!
The answer to your question really is, QUIT your job and let another person have a crack at it. Could be they'll find someone wanting to help that company progress and grow.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 05:36   #18

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorbob8599 View Post
Thinking of this from the employers p.o.v. especially a small company, why did they hire you in the first place if they do not really need you? . . .
True, but in a larger firm it gets more complex than that. With more people working, it's easier to "fill in" any temporary gaps. Also, there are larger, longer-term projects and business cycles that may leave some "down time."

In my own case, we had repeating "all hands on deck" periods that were scheduled 18 months apart. We also had one-off projects which took years to approve, plan and complete. We pretty much knew when we could ask for time off, and when we couldn't.

As for the economics of it, it was far better to have a trained and experienced staff ready to hit these big efforts when the time came, than to rely solely on short-term help, although we also hired a lot of those. In between big projects, we worked on smaller ones, making improvements and doing maintenance that kept everything humming and ready for the surges. Even with occasional absences, my co-workers and I easily returned far more value than the company invested in us.

I saw nothing that would make asking for a leave inherently unfair to my employer. At least, no more so than all the unpaid overtime we worked during the peak periods.

I would suggest that, if you're a valuable worker and the type of work environment allows a sabbatical, a good employer will want you back when you return.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 06:55   #19

Boat: Various

There's a statement often heard that "Absence makes the heart grow fonder." Don't believe it for a second. Absence allows the heart to stray. Most companies are not in position to allow long leaves. Even medical leaves are difficult to handle and often require getting someone else to fill the position why one is gone. If you're on leave say six months and someone fills your position for that time, what is supposed to happen to that person when you return?

It's not simple. We could grant a long leave and would but then we have 3000 employees and would always have another position available. If you're the only one in your position or one of only two perhaps, it's a real inconvenience and if they can get by without you for six months, they can forever. It's one thing when someone is ill or their family has been struck by tragedy, but when they just want to "go play around" it brings their commitment into question.

I'd talk to my employer but even though they may mean what they say, once things actually happen they may change their mind. I think anything more than 90 days for a "vacation" would be very troublesome. I honestly think most employers would have issues over 30 days.

The one message you're sending to them is that your career, your job isn't very important to you. We have very liberal policies and would grant whatever you desired but 99% of employers are not the way we are. Again, I don't know your skills or position.

Someone used the term "sabbatical". By most definitions used by employers this isn't. They're generally for mission or charitable work or for education, not for vacation. They're going to not be convinced you'll return and when you do be concerned you're going to want to leave again.

Loyalty should be a two way street and, unfortunately, it often isn't as employers show very little. However, wanting to take a leave to go boating isn't exactly a display of loyalty on your part.

And one option is to leave and then find another job when you return. However, employers are going to question you walking out on your previous employer to go boating.

Leave of absences are tough. When I was with a large company, we'd grant any leave, but we assumed most who took an extended leave would never return. We did not hold their position open, but if by some chance they returned we'd try to find equivalent. The only persons I ever knew to return from extended leaves were those who took them for maternity or for caretaking an ill family member.

Only you know your employer, but don't assume all will be well. I've never been asked by someone for a leave so they could go boating. The nearest was once asked for an two month leave to take their child to see their grandparents and extended family in Germany and see the country over the summer. That was no problem.

You haven't shared how long you're thinking, what type job, anything about family. I'd turn this question back on you. What do you suggest they do in your absence?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 18:56   #20

Boat: Bayliner 3870

All very good responses and I had never considered health insurance.

Just a quick summary: I'm single, no kids, liveaboard (no house), nearly a years salary in savings plus more than a years salary in 401k and personal investments.

12 years at my age is kind of unusual. I'm a CAD/BIM Manager and damn good at what I do and they have treated me very well to keep me around. Senior level structural draftsmen are apparently rare in this area. I'm currently in school to finish my AS in Engineering.

I was thinking a LOA of maybe 2-4 months? I'm not TOO worried they would find me unnecessary, but....

My "5 year plan" involved me getting my AS so I can start pursuing a "Designer/Project Manager" position somewhere else anyways. OR, if there was a way to do something in my line of work that would allow me to travel. Designers do take contract work.

With the amount of vacation I have accrued, I could probably just swing 4-5 weeks of regular vacation with enough heads up and get a taste of cruising?

I'm not one of those people that can't work, it's in my DNA, lol. A year off and I would get bored Hell, I get antsy sometimes taking 2 weeks off

As to why I haven't done it yet, it's simply fear of the unknown. I'm less fearful now, hence me posing the question

Thanks all! You've given me plenty to ponder on!
CoolBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 11:06   #21

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

For what it's worth, if you're willing to do project management work, you might find both long and short-term opportunities in lots of places. That would fit a cruising lifestyle pretty well.

Personally, I'd hate that job. But I have a lot of respect for anyone who can do it well. I think a lot of employers do, too.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 13:55   #22

Boat: Bayliner 3870

I'm not thrilled about it either, but I peaked along this current career path over a year ago...just retooling for something a little different but in a familiar field. Designer or Project Manager or Management I think is about all there is for the next level

Or I just need to figure out a new career
CoolBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 15:42   #23

Boat: Alubat, OVNI 47

If you are only 33, take a LOA, sabbatical, whatever your employer wants to call it. Quit if they won't give it to you on your terms. There will be jobs when you return!
Old 03-08-2017, 17:29   #24

Boat: Cranchi Atlantique 48

I took a leave of absence for about 3 months, to go travelling the world.
For various reasons, it was extended to 6 months and it worked quite well overall.

Admittedly, in my case this was easy to get approved, because I was also a part owner with considerable influence.

Looking back, I should have spent even more time in advance writing down instructions and training others in my particular skills... but for the most part, the whole thing was successful for all parties.

Do not underestimate the value of a key staff member getting rest, re-energizing, seeing new perspectives, and building gratitude for getting the opportunity.

Later, I approved something similar for another staff member.

This was in a business with around a dozen staff members in total.
Zven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc