Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2013, 09:59   #1

Suspiciously low?

Suspected drug smugglers sail to jail - CNN.com

Coast Guard seizes 1200 lbs of cocaine from a Canadian flagged 49' sailboat they spotted 500 miles out in the Atlantic. I'm for catching bad guys but something doesn't add up. Even if it makes sense for a cutter to be 500 miles offshore....an extra 1200lbs on a 49' sailboat shouldn't make it "suspiciously" low in the water.

Are we all being watched and our waterlines checked via satellite to make sure we are appropriately loaded?

Is there anywhere we can go without being watched?
tookish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:22   #2

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler
Re: Suspiciously low?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tookish1 View Post

Coast Guard seizes 1200 lbs of cocaine from a Canadian flagged 49' sailboat they spotted 500 miles out in the Atlantic. I'm for catching bad guys but something doesn't add up. Even if it makes sense for a cutter to be 500 miles offshore....an extra 1200lbs on a 49' sailboat shouldn't make it "suspiciously" low in the water.

Are we all being watched and our waterlines checked via satellite to make sure we are appropriately loaded?

Don't have someone tip the authorities you are carrying and your waterline won't look suspiciously low.

A good lawyer will blow a hole in that argument (if he can't he needs to hire me as an expert witness )..but once done...all the cards fall into place even without criminal prosecution because the "probable cause" was weak or incorrect.

Who really cares if the crew goes to jail..there's 1,000,000 more to jump in for the next run....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 07:49   #3

Boat: Corbin 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Don't have someone tip the authorities you are carrying and your waterline won't look suspiciously low. A good lawyer will blow a hole in that argument (if he can't he needs to hire me as an expert witness )..but once done...all the cards fall into place even without criminal prosecution because the "probable cause" was weak or incorrect. Who really cares if the crew goes to jail..there's 1,000,000 more to jump in for the next run....
I would like to know on what legal grounds they could have even been stopped? As far as I was aware the Americans can stop any American flagged ship anywhere they want, but unless we ( Canadians) have officially been absorbed by the US what are the legal grounds allowing them to board a vessel 500 miles off shore?
cortezsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 08:16   #4

It's entirely probable they didn't add:

"And this guy, Frank, right here, is an informant who also gave us a tip off about the vessel. Wave hi to the cameras, Frank. Frank was great in all the info he gave us, and he'll be sitting over there in that apartment behind me, unit four, until trial."
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 08:30   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortezsailor View Post
I would like to know on what legal grounds they could have even been stopped? As far as I was aware the Americans can stop any American flagged ship anywhere they want, but unless we ( Canadians) have officially been absorbed by the US what are the legal grounds allowing them to board a vessel 500 miles off shore?
Some countries, by agreement, allow inspections of their vessels by the US.
I won't argue that it is a clear negation of their sovereignty, such are things these days.
dpons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 08:33   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tookish1 View Post

They have technology that allows them to know if a car pulls off a hwy on an exit ramp and lets someone out or loads up with dope...You can bet "Big Brother" is watching everything..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 08:57   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cortezsailor View Post

They would request official permission to board from Canadian officials. It is almost always granted. The same would occur if a Canadian vessel suspect a US flagged vessel in international waters.

At any rate, if you would not want to argue when the big guns are pointed at you. One can leave that discussion for court later on.
Old 29-09-2013, 09:48   #8

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

If that crap was legal...there would be no need to board or point guns at anyone.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 14:10   #9

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
If that crap was legal...there would be no need to board or point guns at anyone.
Actually there would STILL be a lot of reasons to do armed boardings on the high seas...there are at least a dozen other illicit activities that criminals arm themselves/pose a historical threat against LE officials...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 14:20   #10
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i guess you guys didnt read of late that usa homeless insecurity decided unilaterally to add mexico and canada to their home base so they can do that.
this all happened within this past year--should otta read more of the world around ye. mebbe the distractions placed in the news at same time regarding political party bs was too much for most to sort out..this was underlying. have fun with it.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 14:23   #11
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i guess you guys didnt read of late that usa homeless insecurity decided unilaterally to board us and mexican vessels and to go into canada and mexico for their own means., this all happened within this past year--should otta read more of the world around ye. mebbe the distractions placed in the news at same time regarding political party bs was too much for most to sort out..this was underlying. have fun with it.
No country unilaterally boards another countries vessels in international waters without agreement. To do so is an act of war. All these boardings have behind the scenes agreements or treaties.

Dave
Old 29-09-2013, 14:35   #12
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

simple informant and satellite surveillance. drug smuggling is hard to do well, and is typically done by idiots.
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 15:16   #13
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
simple informant and satellite surveillance. drug smuggling is hard to do well, and is typically done by idiots.
Only the ones that get caught

Dave
Old 29-09-2013, 15:25   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i guess you guys didnt read of late that usa homeless insecurity decided unilaterally to add mexico and canada to their home base so they can do that.
this all happened within this past year--should otta read more of the world around ye. mebbe the distractions placed in the news at same time regarding political party bs was too much for most to sort out..this was underlying. have fun with it.
I don't know about Mexico, but Canada and United States are working on a joint hot pursuit policy. What that would do is allow a law enforcement agency from one country entered the other country if they are in hot pursuit the suspect, and effect an arrest. There are obvious problems with jurisdiction, and they have not yet come to agreement how that would work.

So there is some truth in what you're saying, but its not a done deal yet. Don't be surprised if you see an RCMP vehicle chasing somebody in Montana in the near future.
Old 29-09-2013, 15:41   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
pirate Re: Suspiciously low?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
Who you calling an idiot? I mean aa aa aaa its not nice to call someone an idiot...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote